U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM

74 posts, read 68,560 times

Advertisements

In my dealing with passwords connected to my computer use I find them at times more of a curse than a blessing. For example yesterday just trying to find one that would work in allowing me access to my new e-mail account and Craigs List was an exercise in absolute torture and frustration resulting in hours of lost time and productivity. I finally got hold up a computer technician who unraveled the problem in about an hour and a half and a cost to me of $20.00.

Not only have I had this problem with trying to establish an e-mail site but in the past have had to deal with it in trying to sign on to new forums, frequently ending in not being able at all to post on that particular forum.
Beware people when the site after you have successfully established a password and it says incorrect password AND YOU KNOW BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT YOU HAVE THE CORRECT ONE AFTER WRITING IT DOWN AND EVEN COPYING AND PASTING IT IN THE NEW PASSWORD WINDOW. When this happens it spells the end of trying to log into whatever site, forum or e-mail account. Believe me I have hours of experience with this problem.

TO ME PASSWORDS STINK AND SHOULD BE OUTLAWED. I know many of you may think I am crazy or out of my head but if you have experienced the agony and misery of not being able to establish a site, enter a forum or just trying to sell anything on Craigs List you will know about what I am talking.

What good then are passwords when you can't enter a site and use it. Suppose you had to obtain a large amount of money for an emergency life saving situation and you couldn't get the necessary funds and died in the process just because you couldn't get a correct password and the institution ends up getting your money. Isn't that a case of robbery just as bad as if a hacker had done it.

I am fed up with this NECESSARY AND DIABOLICAL EVIL. If passwords can't be entered successfully then what is their infernal use anyway. As far as I am concerned the person who came up with this putrid, unconscionable device should be put in prison for life and I would consider him a absolute moron, imbecile, and lacked the intelligence of a small grain of sand.

Therefore, I am asking Congress for an outright ban on the use of passwords and I don't care what the hackers do. I will lose anyway. If they can't hack into my bank account and I need the money to save my life and can't get because I can't get a guaranteed password to work; well the bank just stole my money.
BAN PASSWORDS AND BAN THEM NOW; I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 02:13 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
A blessing for the skilled hacker/cracker who likes the challenge and a curse to an average non-tech savvy user who can barely remember their ATM pin number.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:47 PM

1,403 posts, read 3,162,015 times
Lastpass FTW....only have to remember one password. Works like a charm.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:20 AM
kyt

73 posts, read 111,379 times
Ummm.

Then how can other people verify you are who you are?

Old 10-02-2010, 11:18 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Easy. Just ask. I'm me.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 AM

OP, I find it fascinating that countless millions of users are entering passwords every day with nothing untoward happening. Are you sure the problem lies with the password entry screen?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:26 PM

40,266 posts, read 41,830,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Lastpass FTW....only have to remember one password. Works like a charm.
Same thing I guess but I use Keepass, it's free.

Editorialist, get yourself a password locker and you'll find life much less difficult. You can even stick it on a thumb drive, application and all.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,396,305 times
Passwords are overdone. If I want to look at a newspaper site and it says I need to register to look at it, what do I care if somebody else looks at the site using my ID?

It is virtually impossible for me to bank on line with one of my banks, because in addition to a password, they require an answer to a secret question, and they provide a list of lame secret questions like "who is your favorite singer". Do you remember who you would have put down 3 years ago as your favorite singer? Will you remember next year who your favorite singer was today?

I've tried using 'mothers maiden name' for all secret question, regardless of the question, but then somebody comes along and requires three secret questions, and refuses to allow the same answer to all three.

Why can't users opt for the level of security that they want?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Passwords are overdone. If I want to look at a newspaper site and it says I need to register to look at it, what do I care if somebody else looks at the site using my ID?

It is virtually impossible for me to bank on line with one of my banks, because in addition to a password, they require an answer to a secret question, and they provide a list of lame secret questions like "who is your favorite singer". Do you remember who you would have put down 3 years ago as your favorite singer? Will you remember next year who your favorite singer was today?

I've tried using 'mothers maiden name' for all secret question, regardless of the question, but then somebody comes along and requires three secret questions, and refuses to allow the same answer to all three.

Why can't users opt for the level of security that they want?
Because if the users were allowed to skip passwords and secret questions, and their account was hacked into, they would sue the company they do business with.

Not acceptable.

I agree with the idiocy requiring me to register to read a newspaper. All they're after is your information so they can spam you. I skip those sites and go elsewhere.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
A blessing for the skilled hacker/cracker who likes the challenge and a curse to an average non-tech savvy user who can barely remember their ATM pin number.
I don't know my pin number. I just remember the pattern I use when punching the keypad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers