Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,342,914 times

Advertisements

I cloned a 60 GB drive onto a 320 GB drive tonight. I did an as-is clone which left free space after the 3 GB restore partition. So the next step was to move that 3 GB partition to the end of the drive and enlarge the C drive to fill the gap. I've done this a thousand times.

All was well until I went to move the 3 GB partition and got a useless error message. I rebooted to attempt a different method and found the drive now shows it's only 58 GB total. Three different PCs and various utilities all show it as 58 GB. The kicker is that the manufacturer's own diagnostic program shows it to be a properly functioning 58 GB drive. Gee, you'd think maybe they'd write it to compare the model number (which contains the capacity) to the reported size. I hate getting defective parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I cloned a 60 GB drive onto a 320 GB drive tonight. I did an as-is clone which left free space after the 3 GB restore partition. So the next step was to move that 3 GB partition to the end of the drive and enlarge the C drive to fill the gap. I've done this a thousand times.

All was well until I went to move the 3 GB partition and got a useless error message. I rebooted to attempt a different method and found the drive now shows it's only 58 GB total. Three different PCs and various utilities all show it as 58 GB. The kicker is that the manufacturer's own diagnostic program shows it to be a properly functioning 58 GB drive. Gee, you'd think maybe they'd write it to compare the model number (which contains the capacity) to the reported size. I hate getting defective parts.
Remember something like that happened to me a few months ago? Not sure if it is as you wrote or if my hard drive truly was a 500G that somehow got damaged and was only formatable to whatever 36 gigs or whatever I wrote.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 PM

8,240 posts, read 13,330,347 times
If the drive is indeed 320GB then the formatting must have messed up the mbr or something but the vendor's own utilities should have offered a remedy for it, perhaps a low-level format?

Curious, what brand was it? Also what type of disk imaging utility were you using?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:22 AM

Seagate 2.5" SATA drive. I used Acronis Disk Director which has a cloning feature. I've used it many times before without problems and don't see how it could make the drive report the wrong size in the BIOS.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 AM

8,240 posts, read 13,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Seagate 2.5" SATA drive. I used Acronis Disk Director which has a cloning feature. I've used it many times before without problems and don't see how it could make the drive report the wrong size in the BIOS.
BIOS actually shows the size of the drive? Interesting. Anyhow, I do not know what caused this as I personally never seen or experienced this.
I doubt you could even replicate it yourself? My educated guess suggest it was either the drive itself or the imaging program but it really doesn't matter.
I would try low-level formatting or even better the freely available drive utilities from disk vendor's (Seagate) web site. I know a friend had the same issue a few years back and he used the bootable CD that came with the drive (same stuff available for free at the manufacturer's site which I am sure you knew already) and ran the formatting tool to resolve the issue.

One other alternative would be to use a bootable Linux CD, Ultimate Boot CD or some other bootable CD that has bunch of related tools to do the job.
If all fails, the drive might be faulty.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:30 AM

Yeah the BIOS showed the incorrect, smaller, size. It booted up and seemed to work fine and you'd never know there was a problem if you didn't look at the model number and size on the physical label.

I didn't want to screw with it so I RMAed it to Newegg. The replacement seems to be working fine at the stated capacity now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers