U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 19.35%
No 75 80.65%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2010, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times
Reputation: 12539

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
i dont get it. jaguars have horrible reliability, and are over priced. oh wait, just like my dads imac
And so Italian cars such as Ferrari and others. But a Ferrari will hold its value for quite a long time. Don't you think so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,062,572 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I think the operative problem here is user replacement of the battery, current Macbook models have an internal battery that requires the case to be cracked to replace. Most PC laptops have a battery that is a separate unit that requires a slider or button to unlock and remove the battery.
My Black MacBook has a battery that can be removed in 5 seconds. Put a coin in the slot, turn, and it pops out. It was one of the main reasons I bought the machine. Does anybody else care. No. Would PC fanbois be converted if Apple went back to that system. No, they would just find some other reason to hate on Apple. Like the one button mouse, that Apple doesn't even have.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
OSX is based on FreeBSD (and subsequently TrustedBSD), which is how it gets its main form of security protection from threats because an attack cannot under normal circumstances deep six your machine, but can deep six your files. Which is now the same as Windows if you're running with UAC turned on. However if you can run OSX in root user and get infected with malware then you can suffer the same fate as an NT-XP machine. Now if someone develops a rootkit for OSX...
Yes, but since only one Mac user in 10,000 even knows how to run OS X in root, that is a non-issue in the real world.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Not quite 1/2 price...but not far off it.
15" laptop, Intel i5 Core 2.53-2.8GHz Processor, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD (7200 RPM spindle), nVidia GTX 460M 1.5Gb graphics, Win 7 Home.

Price $1172

15" laptop, Intel i5 Core 2.53-2.8GHz Processor, 4Gb RAM, 500 Gb HDD, nVidia GT 330M 256Mb graphics, OSX. (http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC372LL/A?mco=MTc0Njg1ODg - broken link) (5400 RPM spindle)

Price $1999

But the Sager while having a lightly smaller HD (320GB to 500GB) however it does have faster disk access because of the spindle speed, and does have a seriously powerful graphics setup (GeForce GTX460M in SLI to the Apples nVidia GT330M), it's also $800 cheaper although it is ~$200 for the MS equivalent of iWork, but that still makes it no small beans cheaper (about the same as a cheaper work laptop).
Nice, you had me ready to buy one, until I read the info on it. 7 pounds of clunky plastic, 2 inches thick, with a whopping one hour of battery life, vs 5.6 pounds of aircraft grade aluminum unibody, 0.95 inches thick, and nine hours of battery life. The full price of the Sager is $1705. Less then 15% cheaper the the MBP. That fact that the Sager is discounted that much, tells you how much interest there is in that white elephant. Meanwhile the MBPs keep flying off the selves at the Apple Store with no discount what so ever.

As I stated in a previous post in this thread. You are making the same mistake many PC fanbois make. By comparing the price of high-end hardware to cheap Walmart quality crap. To be fair you have compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Don't care, input devices are input devices, they've been evolving since pure keyboard input. There's nothing that Apple does that Microsoft or Linux can't do and vice-versa, it's hardware, and is independent of the software. The Apple Magic mouse does function (mostly) the same on the PC thanks to an update to the bluetooth driver that allowed someone to hack a working driver for PC. So if you feel the need that you must have, what appears to be certain carpal tunnel syndrome, then you can get it on PC just as easily as Mac.
Well I can't argue with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,062,572 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Slap your head a little harder. You got Media Access Control Address, because I typed MAC instead of Mac?
Don't blame me. I was just reading what you typed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Only a Applehead would turn this friendly "I like/I don't" type topic into "which is better" heated discussion. There are no single-button mouse in use with PCs that I've ever seen. Simplicity in the case of mouse, at least to me, is not a good thing (feature), I like my trackball/mouse with multiple button and scroll wheel, etc. so I can accomplish more in a GUI environment. If that is not 'logical' enough of a reason then perhaps I am wasting my time trying to reason with a fruit lover. Also, why does someone's likes and dislikes have to be 'logical'?
If I told you I do not like creamy-white mouse with a single button, purely based on cosmetics or my personal taste which may not sound logical but it is still a valid reason. Why even argue this?
You are missing the point. Mice are cross platform hardware accessories. Don't choose your operation system base on mice. Buy what every works for you. That could be an iMac with a Microsoft mouse, or a PC desktop with an Apple mouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 09:00 AM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Don't blame me. I was just reading what you typed.
So, if I said "you are a big Mac fan", given the current topic of discussion, would you still think I was talking about hamburgers or McDonald's? If yes, then I will try to pay more attention and make my acronyms and abbreviations more 'idiot-proof'.

Quote:
You are missing the point. Mice are cross platform hardware accessories. Don't choose your operation system base on mice. Buy what every works for you. That could be an iMac with a Microsoft mouse, or a PC desktop with an Apple mouse.
Only arrogant, opinionated people use that line like the "point" of the discussion is what their response was. All I said was Apple's single mouse was a goofy design that I didn't care for. I never said, I would never use an OS purely based on its peripherals, it might play a small role but wouldn't be the main reason. You stated in earlier post that Apple didn't make single button mouse (by the way in tech terminology, there really isn't such a thing as 'mice', mouse mean one or 10, saying mice to indicate multiple computer mouse is not correct), that is a load of bologna, Apple is the only OS that has/uses single button mouse which is for a PC user, nothing short of odd. Also that single button mouse would not be cross platform, I have never seen a PC using a single-button mouse before but perhaps it does exist somewhere and I just haven't traveled enough or deep into the Amazon jungles to see it?

Why I don't use Apple? Doesn't appeal to me, it is too different than PCs and it really didn't offer a good enough reason to consider using a Mac system. I do use Linux once in a while and if I ever decide to do away with Windows, Linux would be my choice over anything else (yes including your beloved Apple).
Don't get all butt-hurt though, I never said Apple sucked or it was a bad OS....but if it wasn't for iPod's (and the follow-up iPhone's) huge success, Apple would not have the current name recognition or the market buzz it has now which played a huge factor in people buying Macs again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 10:25 AM
 
1,445 posts, read 2,573,665 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
By comparing the price of high-end hardware to cheap Walmart quality crap.
I'm curious, whats this high end hardware you speak of? Last time I checked, the hardware inside a mac and the hardware inside a PC are made in the same place. This sounds more like a psychological thing mac fans tell themselves to justify the cost of an overpriced computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Whittier
3,007 posts, read 5,208,438 times
Reputation: 3041
I'm sure someone has posted this already but OP you do realize that if Macs ever become more popular than PCs that Macs will inherit the same problems of a large market share.

It's not as though viruses CAN'T be made for Macs it's that there's no point in disrupting or keylogging a few million users when you can write a script for hundreds of millions of PC users.

You're starting to see that with the iPhone. You're starting to see that with Firefox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,229,661 times
Reputation: 4522
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Especially once people realize how notoriously unreliable, slow, virus-prone, and complete pieces of worthless junk that Windows PCs are?

I can understand workplaces purchasing Windows machines for employees, since they are cheaper, but why would anyone choose to buy a Windows PC over an Apple macbook for personal use?
I own a Mac and an older Windows PC (which I plan on upgrading next year), and in my opinion there is one major area and a few minor areas where Windows PCs are superior to Macs. Until the Mac becomes as capable as Windows in these areas, I unfortunately will need to keep a Windows PC around.

While Macs have become popular enough that most major software now comes in a Mac version, the one things Macs can't yet master is PC gaming. Yes you can use Bootcamp on a mac or run Windows in a VM for basic gaming, but a Mac doesn't have the video processing power needed to really play high-end PC games.

As for the more minor areas where I think Windows is superior...the first one is I believe Windows Explorer is superior to Finder. Finder in and of itself is behind the times...it feels a lot like Windows Explorer did back in the Windows 95 days. You can remedy this with third party add-ons such as PathFinder which adds the functionality of Explorer to Finder plus more. The second is lack of upgrade-ability. I have my music/movie library on my Windows PC because I have a 5.1 surround system I plug into a Soundblaster X-Fi sound card and the sound quality is FAR superior to what I get on my Macbook Pro. As for the last thing, Microsoft Office is the document standard and the PC version is much faster and more stable than the Mac version. If you rely heavily on Office...you'll want the Windows version.

I honestly wish I could use my Mac full time and ditch Windows entirely...but despite the multitude of problems associated with Windows there are still some things it just does better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,062,572 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
So, if I said "you are a big Mac fan", given the current topic of discussion, would you still think I was talking about hamburgers or McDonald's?
No not if said it the correct way like that. But if you said I was "a Big Mac fan", I'd probably wonder what the hell you were talking about. You do under stand how punctuation changes the meaning of something, right? Sorry, I asked that. I guess you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Only arrogant, opinionated people use that line like the "point" of the discussion is what their response was. All I said was Apple's single mouse was a goofy design that I didn't care for.
You are not paying any attention to anything posted in this thread are you? You missed that point that Apple makes a verity of different mice, non of which have a single button as you claim, and you are free to choose any or none of Apple's mice. Since you have demonstrated that you have no knowledge of what Apple's mice are actually like, your opinion that they are goofy, really doesn't mean much.

Most people who have actually seen or tried an Apple mouse, would probably agree, that like them or not, Apple's mice are pretty revolutionary and innovative. Unlike Microsoft's line of mice, which are the same stale two buttons plus scroll wheel crap that they have been selling for ten years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,062,572 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I'm curious, whats this high end hardware you speak of? Last time I checked, the hardware inside a mac and the hardware inside a PC are made in the same place. This sounds more like a psychological thing mac fans tell themselves to justify the cost of an overpriced computer.
Reread my post. I stated it. Obviously a battery with nine hours of battery life, is not made of the same quality, as one that lasts just one hour. The inability of you Mac haters to see the difference between a cheap plastic enclosure that will fall apart in six months, and a durable aluminum enclosure that will protect your investment, sounds like psychological thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,062,572 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I'm sure someone has posted this already but OP you do realize that if Macs ever become more popular than PCs that Macs will inherit the same problems of a large market share.
It was stated. You should read the entire thread, or maybe you'd rather not deal with the truth of the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:44 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top