U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 19.35%
No 75 80.65%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2010, 04:58 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,948,604 times
Reputation: 12847

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Isn't this the same argument? Windows is an OS. Apple is a computer. Wanna compare?
Win 7 vs OSX Snow Leopard
PC laptop components vs Macintosh laptop components.

If you bench test comparable hardware using the same tests, you won't find a nickles difference between them.
I agree. They are both suitable for their users. I agree with the poll in regards to Apple ot overtaking the Windows PC platform in sales without a change in their strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2010, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,052,103 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You obviously picked a horrible computer to compare with. Which Apple laptop are you comparing it to?

Honestly, though, no laptop really breaks in 6 months. Whether it be apple or pc.
Except, I didn't pick it. It was picked by another poster in response to my challenge for someone to prove that you can buy the same PC hardware for half the cost of Mac hardware. I think it was an interesting find. It failed to prove the point, but it was a good try anyway.

But if you know of a better comparison, please post it. I'm still looking for anyone who can prove that PC hardware costs substantially less then Mac hardware. But I'm not looking for a comparison of apples and oranges, no pun intended. Cheap plastic does not = aluminum. 9 hour battery life does not = 1 hour battery life. It has to be the same quality of hardware.

Oh, and regarding your last point. Honestly all brands of computers have have defects in the first six months. As good as Apple hardware is, its no exception. Thats what Apple Care is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,948,604 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Except, I didn't pick it. It was picked by another poster in response to my challenge for someone to prove that you can buy the same PC hardware for half the cost of Mac hardware. I think it was an interesting find. It failed to prove the point, but it was a good try anyway.

But if you know of a better comparison, please post it. I'm still looking for anyone who can prove that PC hardware costs substantially less then Mac hardware. But I'm not looking for a comparison of apples and oranges, no pun intended. Cheap plastic does not = aluminum. 9 hour battery life does not = 1 hour battery life. It has to be the same quality of hardware.

Oh, and regarding your last point. Honestly all brands of computers have have defects in the first six months. As good as Apple hardware is, its no exception. Thats what Apple Care is for.
Share a mainstream Apple laptop (or desktop) and I'll find a comparable PC and we'll see how the measure.

Also, my Dell Latitude has an aluminum body with 14 hours of battery life w/ the slice battery (which does add some weight).

My Dell had a flaky battery in the first month.... Dell sent someone with a new battery the next morning. PCs have support as well.. it's not like you're in the dark after you buy one. Yes, my Dell's athome support expires after 5 years, but that's enough for me.

The one thing that I dislike about Apple laptops, which will probably keep me away, is that they don't have trackpoints. You are basically stuck with the touchpads. The same goes with cheap PC laptops. Touchpads are such garbage compared to trackpoints, seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,052,103 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Share a mainstream Apple laptop (or desktop) and I'll find a comparable PC and we'll see how the measure.
OK, lets do it.

iMac 27-inch
3.2GHz Intel Core i3
2560-by-1440 resolution
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB

MSRP: $1,699.00

Go ahead, and build it. See how much it costs you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,892 posts, read 33,618,439 times
Reputation: 13826
Sales-wise, according to today's earnings call Apple Is No. 1 Computer Seller; If You Count iPads | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,348 posts, read 16,131,184 times
Reputation: 5622
Go Apple Go!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,052,103 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Resorting to name calling...how mature.

Anyway, my point still stands, a longer lasting battery does not cost $800.

You still don't get it do you? What part of MSRP $1,704 - $3,249, do you not understand? The MSRP range on the MBP is $95 more, not $800. What do you get for that $95? Sleek 1 inch thick aluminum vs. clunky 2 inch thick plastic, and 9 hours of battery life vs. 57 minuets. Um I wonder what most people would choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 10:23 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,948,604 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
OK, lets do it.

iMac 27-inch
3.2GHz Intel Core i3
2560-by-1440 resolution
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB

MSRP: $1,699.00

Go ahead, and build it. See how much it costs you.
Seriously... you been pushing this iMac 27". You know that mainstream Apple computer purchasers are not buying that. Pick a mainstream setup. In the meantime, I'll work on trying to match that 27" setup anyways. Btw, it isn't 1999 anymore. IPS is not all that better than TN anymore.

Also, there is no all-in-one package with a 27" monitor in the PC marketplace.

Last edited by NJBest; 10-18-2010 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 AM
 
1,441 posts, read 2,571,027 times
Reputation: 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You still don't get it do you? What part of MSRP $1,704 - $3,249, do you not understand? The MSRP range on the MBP is $95 more, not $800. What do you get for that $95? Sleek 1 inch thick aluminum vs. clunky 2 inch thick plastic, and 9 hours of battery life vs. 57 minuets. Um I wonder what most people would choose?
The price difference between the two laptops was $800. The only two differences you could point out was the battery and the case. Everything else was equal. Therefore you are paying $800 for a battery and better case.

Just to refresh your memory, here is what was being compared:
15" laptop, Intel i5 Core 2.53-2.8GHz Processor, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD (7200 RPM spindle), nVidia GTX 460M 1.5Gb graphics, Win 7 Home.

Price $1172

15" laptop, Intel i5 Core 2.53-2.8GHz Processor, 4Gb RAM, 500 Gb HDD, nVidia GT 330M 256Mb graphics, OSX. (http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC372LL/A?mco=MTc0Njg1ODg - broken link) (5400 RPM spindle)

Price $1999
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 AM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,139 posts, read 9,052,103 times
Reputation: 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Seriously... you been pushing this iMac 27". You know that mainstream Apple computer purchasers are not buying that.
Really, you know that?

Bestsellers in Desktop Computers

1. Apple iMac MC508LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop by Apple
List Price: $1,199.00

2. Apple Mac Mini MC270LL/A Desktop by Apple
List Price: $699.00

3. Acer AspireRevo AR3700-U3002 Slim and Compact Desktop - Blue by Acer
Price: $349.99

4. Compaq Presario CQ5600F Desktop PC - Black by Compaq
Price: $329.99

5. Apple iMac MC511LL/A 27-Inch Desktop by Apple
List Price: $1,999.00

6. Apple iMac MC510LL/A 27-Inch Desktop by Apple
List Price: $1,699.00


Amazon.com Bestsellers: The most popular items in Desktop Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Pick a mainstream setup. In the meantime, I'll work on trying to match that 27" setup anyways. Btw, it isn't 1999 anymore. IPS is not all that better than TN anymore.
LOL. OK, let me try and make this easier for you. Why don't you just go to Apple.com and find the specs for what ever model, you think Apple computer purchasers are buying, and lets see what type of PC match you can come up with for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top