U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 19.35%
No 75 80.65%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2010, 01:30 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Reputation: 7514

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The trackpoint might be so 90s but touchpads suck in comparison. I can't believe that evolution at all. Also, laptops with trackpoints have touchpads as well, for when you really need one.
I personally can't stand trackpoints but at least PC users have a choice. Apple's "we know best" attitude is really annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2010, 01:49 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I personally can't stand trackpoints but at least PC users have a choice. Apple's "we know best" attitude is really annoying.
Trackpoints has a learning curve for sure, but once you speed it up and get accurate with it, it's almost as versatile as having a regular mouse. It's similar to the learning curve of a tablet.

Apple's "we know best" attitude definately leaves a lot of people wondering "wtf", but they aren't hurting, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 AM
 
3,118 posts, read 3,931,186 times
Reputation: 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Apple's "we know best" attitude definately leaves a lot of people wondering "wtf", but they aren't hurting, that's for sure.
That's because people go "We don't like this!". And then Steve Jobs comes out in a black turtleneck and says "Yes you do", and the masses that follow him blindly go "OK. We love this! This is awesome! Thank you, Steve!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
That's because people go "We don't like this!". And then Steve Jobs comes out in a black turtleneck and says "Yes you do", and the masses that follow him blindly go "OK. We love this! This is awesome! Thank you, Steve!"
Its more like:

Steve: Apple doesn't have Feature X, never will, and anyone who wants it is stupid.
Fanboys: Yeah, Feature X is for stupid Pee Cee users. We don't need it because we're better than them.

1 year later

Steve: Now, introducing the all new, revolutionary, but only slightly different apple iProduct with Feature X!
Fanboys: Steve's a genius! Feature X is the most amazing thing ever! Apple is the best company ever for inventing Feature X!
Walt Appleberg: Buy the iProduct because they just invented the amazing Feature X.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Reputation: 12847
In reality, if Apple changes their ways, and Microsoft has a massive failure (And no, Vista was not a massive failure, it was just a messed up release)..... who knows what can happen. But those are two unlikely events.

Microsoft has a significantly larger residual profit tan Apple. And prior to Windows 7 accounting, they had a tad more than Apple in cash. It's unlikely that they can mess up so bad that they can't just buy their way out of it at this point.

I think a better question is will another company (google) be able to take a significant amount of share from Apple and Microsoft in the Personal Computer market... That is assuming they eventually launch the ChromeOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 04:48 AM
 
3,118 posts, read 3,931,186 times
Reputation: 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its more like:

Steve: Apple doesn't have Feature X, never will, and anyone who wants it is stupid.
Fanboys: Yeah, Feature X is for stupid Pee Cee users. We don't need it because we're better than them.

1 year later

Steve: Now, introducing the all new, revolutionary, but only slightly different apple iProduct with Feature X!
Fanboys: Steve's a genius! Feature X is the most amazing thing ever! Apple is the best company ever for inventing Feature X!
Walt Appleberg: Buy the iProduct because they just invented the amazing Feature X.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 08:28 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,707 posts, read 11,299,552 times
Reputation: 7686
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Yes they will overtake PCs. For one simple reason, it's easy to do a dual boot of Windows and OS X on a Mac. .....
Very few people dual boot computers. A very large majority of people buying computers to use at home need a browser, an email client and a media player. Enterprise purchases make up the majority of computer purchases, and low bidder gets the contract most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
..... I said screw it and went Mac. The build quality is second to none, .....
Build quality seldom factors into a winning bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Most people have no need to spend $2000 and dual boot to check their email, watch Hulu, and do their taxes.
Agreed. See my comment above. Low price counts for most computer purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
..... Apple's "we know best" attitude definately leaves a lot of people wondering "wtf", but they aren't hurting, that's for sure.
Apple's not hurting. They have several healthy business lines, and will be a successful company for the foreseeable future. However, that success is becoming less and less dependent on desktop and laptop computers. iPhone, iPod, iPad and iTunes are all strong healthy business lines for Apple. Don't confuse the overall company's success with any thought that they are becoming bigger in computer sales. Their small percentage stays small, and will probably continue to stay small for a long, long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
 
Location: USA
701 posts, read 993,877 times
Reputation: 651
Good points. But IPads, IPhones and even ITouch are also "computers". Just different kinds of "computers". They're not "Macs".

I wonder what the overall statistics are, in terms of market share, when you factor in ALL computers (desktops, laptops, ITouch, tablets, phones)?

The way things are going, the desktop will probably become a niche market here in the USA. Most everyone will have laptops and mobile "computers". It's already that way in companies I work at where there's almost an even number of laptops and desktops, and in our household and with most families I know. The only desktops we have at home are "freebies", from my wife's office, when they get rid of the old ones. (Just a hobby of mine - I rebuild them, dual boot with Linux, and donate them).

Maybe the question should be "will the Mac OS ever overtake Windows OS"? Then you'd have to get the statistics for all versions of each operating system.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372830,00.asp

This is really a meaningless comparison, though. Other than the XBox and some small hardware items (mouse, keyboards, webcam) Microsoft is a software company while Apple is a hardware company. There is no reason for Apple to license their OS to other hardware vendors. They tried it once and shot themselves in the foot.

Me, I just buy Apple stocks (among others) and don't worry about the price of Apple products, which I think are very reasonable. The investment in Apple stocks more than makes up for the premium price of their products. My Microsoft stock hasn't done much for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Apple's not hurting. They have several healthy business lines, and will be a successful company for the foreseeable future. However, that success is becoming less and less dependent on desktop and laptop computers. iPhone, iPod, iPad and iTunes are all strong healthy business lines for Apple. Don't confuse the overall company's success with any thought that they are becoming bigger in computer sales. Their small percentage stays small, and will probably continue to stay small for a long, long time.

I hear you.. I was actually thinking of the iPhone and Apple's decision to forgo flash support when I was making that post.

I'm a PC guy at heart... but love my iPad. I just wish it had kindle's batter life.... but that's asking for too much. I'm certain that I'll be a small part of the contribution to Mr Job's next billion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,707 posts, read 11,299,552 times
Reputation: 7686
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
..... I'm certain that I'll be a small part of the contribution to Mr Job's next billion.
He sends his thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top