U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 19.35%
No 75 80.65%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,376,274 times

Advertisements

I lived in an area where Macintosh was not mentioned, there was no Apple deaker and the only computer available for home use was a PC. I did not knoow Apple existed or built a computer until I read about it in a PC computing magazine.

One of the things that altered my perception about computers was the idiot who knowingly installed propriatary enhnaced XP software over my custom build Win98se. IUt blew the stack. and screwed up other software. The installer thought i was funny. I also had a year with constant problems from this company due to employees who knew nothing aobut computing. These people not only infected most of their customers with a virus - I gave mine back to them - the servers were down 10 days because of it.

By the tine they got back online I had been happily using Mac for a week. I haven't looked back. My Mac is 9 years old. it runs OS X, it's networked to 5 computers, and it works flawlessly with a new printer. I also have an PC Mac with Win 7 and Snow Leopard loaded. I have never had a reason to open Windows - but I have it so i can play Windows Solitaire, and I have a have a hack too; it cost $600. And I still have my custom 98 in service.

Ir ia possible ro have the best of both worlds without breaking the bank to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The poll results stand at 56-12. The answer to the OP is obvious. Constant arguments over a mouse or a price accomplishes nothing. People buy computers for many reasons, but the history of sales indicates that 80% of them prefer using Windows. It doesn't really matter why; it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM

16,834 posts, read 14,439,973 times
I can only speak to my experience with PCs and Macs.

I was a Windows person both through habit and training since most of the science based software I use regularly (like ArcGIS) didn't run on a mac. I should also mention I have never been much of a gamer.

Five years ago I moved to a new school that was Mac based and they got me a very nice Powerbook that I refused to even touch. I carted around my bizarrely heavy Sony Vaio for over a year before I took the Mac plunge. My Mac runs both Windows and OSX so all of my science stuff runs on it, even ArcGIS but it does not switch between the two easily.

What finally pushed me all the way Mac was getting an iPhone. They just work seamlessly. I suspect you can get all the same features with Windows and an android but it would take some work. I went full bore Mac and even ponied up for a Me account but I love gmail way more so I will be dumping that next cycle.

Final straw, my beloved Vaio died through no fault of its own (cats=evil) and when it came time to get a home PC I got an iMac for the family and a powerbook for me. I have no real issue with Windows since I had a quality machine but Mac just works better for me.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:09 PM

308 posts, read 450,853 times
Apple is very proprietary, and their lack of gaming. Thats why I lean more on PC. Also, though windows may be more virus prone, its the consumer that gives all the viruses by mindlessly clicking any link that beckons "download"

Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
Apple is very proprietary, and their lack of gaming. Thats why I lean more on PC. Also, though windows may be more virus prone, its the consumer that gives all the viruses by mindlessly clicking any link that beckons "download"
The Apple argument here would be that Apple hardware can run Windows in order to play games.

I personally don't like Apple's mouse/pointing hardware... minor with desktops but major with laptops. Touchpads blow.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,313,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I personally don't like Apple's mouse/pointing hardware... minor with desktops but major with laptops. Touchpads blow.
I have the complete opposite feeling. I love the Macbook Pro trackpad. After having HPs for all these years (with the last one being an HP ENVY) and hating how jumpy the trackpads were, I like how fluid the MBP trackpad is. Plus the inertial scroll is very useful.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I have the complete opposite feeling. I love the Macbook Pro trackpad. After having HPs for all these years (with the last one being an HP ENVY) and hating how jumpy the trackpads were, I like how fluid the MBP trackpad is. Plus the inertial scroll is very useful.
I dislike trackpads/touchpads in general. Even on my MBP. Once you get used to trackpoints, you realize how limiting trackpads/touchpads are. Try drawing a circle in photoshop or alike. It's nearly impossible for smooth curves. With a trackpoint, you can.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM

14,781 posts, read 36,588,956 times
Quote:
The Apple argument here would be that Apple hardware can run Windows in order to play games.
The reverse is also true. Windows PC's can also run OSX, though Apple refuses to allow it to be officially licensed. So, you could run OSX in a VM environment through Windows 7 and have access to all the OSX goodies. It's a little touchy and there may be some driver issues. There are plenty of "hackintoshes" out there to prove the point.

I think if Apple was smart they would release OSX and allow it to be licensed and run on any computer since it is quite capable of doing it. The problem there is that they would lose the seamless proprietary environment they love and would have to provide Microsoft levels of support for drivers and configurations.

As long as Apple insists on being an expensive boutique PC builder, which is their whole niche, than they will never overtake Windows based PC's.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The reverse is also true. Windows PC's can also run OSX, though Apple refuses to allow it to be officially licensed. So, you could run OSX in a VM environment through Windows 7 and have access to all the OSX goodies. It's a little touchy and there may be some driver issues. There are plenty of "hackintoshes" out there to prove the point.
Yea, I know about these. Hackintoshes are extremely simple to set up. I don't count them for this discussion because it's not legal.

My point was in response to the previous poster who indicated that Apple computers cannot play most games because the games aren't available on OSX. This is not really valid since Windows runs fine and legally on Apple computers.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:31 PM

16,834 posts, read 14,439,973 times
Oh and my last .02, I love my mac and HOPE it does not become more popular. Would make them more likely to be targeted by viruses.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,576,686 times
Quote:
Of course, but ironically it doesn't seem to be an argument that is often made.

Most of the big PC titles are available for Mac (The Quakes, Dooms, CODs, etc.), and a few games are made just for Mac. However, the majority of games are "only" for PCs, but yeah, the point is rather moot now. Although, depending on the same and/or desired settings, it might still be better to play them on a PC unless you have a Mac Pro or newer iMac (i5 or i7)--although the Mac Pro would be the better option as it has the ability of accepting/upgrading to a better graphics card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

I think if Apple was smart they would release OSX and allow it to be licensed and run on any computer since it is quite capable of doing it. The problem there is that they would lose the seamless proprietary environment they love and would have to provide Microsoft levels of support for drivers and configurations.

As long as Apple insists on being an expensive boutique PC builder, which is their whole niche, than they will never overtake Windows based PC's.
Before the switch to Intel processors, Apple used PowerPC chips, which was a different architecture. Macs now have the same architecture as PCs, so someone figured out quite logically, that you should be able to run OSX on a Windows-based machine (and, seeing how Macs can natively run a native, legit, non-hacked fresh-from-the-store PC "version" of Windows, that logic stood even stronger).

Basically, OSX is now a 'PC-based" OS, for lack of a better description. What they did, was install a chip onto the logic board (mother board) that OSX pings. If there is no ping, it won't install. If there is no ping after installation, it won't start up.

Some company in Europe designed, and manufactured a USB device that acted as the chip that OSX would ping. It worked like a champ. But, of course, Apple took them to court and they disappeared.

So, the hackintosh, or Project osx86 as it is "officially" called, hacked the code of the OS so it would not send out the ping. It is more complicated than that, but that is basically how it works.

It is a fairly popular project, and only shows the desire of those who want to run OSX, but just not on a Mac. The downside is that there any legitimate update from Apple is released (about once every two weeks or so for a variety of items such security, java, etc.). You would have to rely on a hacker to hack an update. And really, you don't know exactly what you are getting.

Apple wants total control of the end-user experience. While that sounds fascist to some, it makes sense. I know that others will think otherwise, but Apple has built a reputation for making computers that are solid, long-lasting, and generally does not have the problems that other computers have. Or at least not at the same frequency. So why would they want someone to run OSX on a computer that may go bust prematurely?

Also, Apple pushes new technology. They went all USB and removed legacy ports back in 1999 (or was it 1998?). They made firewire standard, and many hard-core Mac enthusiasts swear by firewire. The OS is just built around the way a Mac works, or vice-versa. While most Mac users do not use all the features of OSX, they still have the option. Really, it would not be the same "experience" on a Toshiba. Heck, even Windows works better on some PC manufactures than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Oh and my last .02, I love my mac and HOPE it does not become more popular. Would make them more likely to be targeted by viruses.
I said the same thing in 2002. Then in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006... Now I just give up. It is what it is. But, if it were up to me, they'd go back to the obscurity of 2000-2001.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or