U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 19.35%
No 75 80.65%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:27 PM

14,781 posts, read 36,597,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I do have to chime in here. My new MBP 13" that I got in October was having issues with the ambient light sensor. They put the light sensor on the worst place possible to detect light (next to the webcam...no I will not call it an iSight).

Anyways I took it in to the Apple store and they said they'd get me a new computer. And here is where I WILL give Apple props. When I went to get my new replacement, Apple upgraded me and gave me a 15" MBP with a 500 GB drive (I looked up the price and it was $700 more than what I paid for the original 13")!!
...and those are very justified props. Apple support and customer service are second to none in the PC industry. Listen, I think Apple makes a good product. I also think they charge a hefty premium for the name. Some of that is justified with the warranty and support, but not all of it. At the end of the day, I could even support the statement that if you want to buy the best, buy Apple. If you want to save yourself a pile of cash and get the same functionality buy any number of PC's that are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If you believe that, then try swapping a PC video card into a Mac and see what happens. As for chips, I believe Apple is starting to do even that in-house now.

Inside the iPad: Apple's new 'A4' chip | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News
Genius, it doesn't work, because OSX doesn't support anything but a limited base of drivers for hardware. It's not that the card can't be installed or that the motherboard won't recognize it, it's that OSX doesn't know what to do with it, because Apple will only support a limited range of products on their OS's.

As for the "A4" chip, good for Apple. From the article:

Quote:
But getting back to the A4, Ashok Kumar, an analyst Northeast Securities, says the system-on-a-chip is the fruit of Apple's internal development though its core processor is still based on a design from United Kingdom-based ARM. In Apple's own words, it's "custom silicon that we designed for this product." Apple acquired chip designer PA Semi in 2008. And it is worth pointing out that this is the first time Apple has announced an Apple-branded chip.
Apples core market these days is the iPhone, iPad and iPod. It makes sense that they are working to develop their own chips for those purposes. However, that is not how they have operated in the past and their "great leap forward" with SOC is something that both AMD and Intel are or have rolled out as well.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:42 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,062,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE...tell that to the people with dead iPhones, iPods, fubarred laptops and desktops that converge on the Apple store and the "Genius Bar" on a regular basis. Keep drinking the KoolAid.

HardwareGeeks.com - Apple Products Just Don’t Work? (http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/gapple/comments/apple_products_just_dont_work/ - broken link)
Oh, one single three year old post by a PC fanboi (proven by his attitude in the first sentence), discussing two incidents with few details, proves that Macs suck. Damn you guys like to grasp at straws.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Exactly and Windows based PC's have an entry point several hundred dollars lower than any Mac. The cheapest Mac you can get is the mini and that starts at $699 (not counting the $49 mouse, $49 keyboard and the $999 monitor they want to sell you). The cheapest desktop computer they offer is the 21.5" iMac starting at $1,199 (at least that includes the monitor/mouse/keyboard) and the cheapest laptop is the standard Macbook which starts at $999..
Your logic is flawed, as usual. Apple is obviously not trying to sell a $999 monitor with a Mac mini. The 27" iMac with a lower price is Apple's solution for that market.

The Mac mini is marketed to people who already own a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, or who want to use third party accessories with their Mac.

Example: Refurbished Mac mini $599 + 27" TN panel $249 + generic keyboard & mouse $50 = $898. Not as cheap as a PC set up (and not designed to be), but below the price of an iMac or a MacBook.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Oh, one single three year old post by a PC fanboi (proven by his attitude in the first sentence), discussing two incidents with few details, proves that Macs suck. Damn you guys like to grasp at straws.
I'm not the one who said Mac's only have a 1% failure rate. I figured if we're going to be throwing around unsubstantiated claims, that link would serve as conclusive proof you were wrong.

Anyway, I never said Mac's suck, in fact I said they are probably one of the best PC manufacturers out there. My only hold out is that they are really pricey and hence most people can't justify the extra cost. You're the one clinging to the belief that Mac's aren't overpriced and are vastly superior, which they aren't.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Your logic is flawed, as usual. Apple is obviously not trying to sell a $999 monitor with a Mac mini. The 27" iMac with a lower price is Apple's solution for that market.

The Mac mini is marketed to people who already own a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, or who want to use third party accessories with their Mac.

Example: Refurbished Mac mini $599 + 27" TN panel $249 + generic keyboard & mouse $50 = $898. Not as cheap as a PC set up (and not designed to be), but below the price of an iMac or a MacBook.
Do you even know how much Mac's cost? I used the mini, because it is the cheapest one they make. If you select it on their site, they take you to a "customization" page where they suggest you buy the monitor, mouse and keyboard among a bunch of other stuff. I'm not making it up, go to apple.com and see for yourself.

OK, we'll go along with your "cheap" Mac solution of a refurbed mini and 3rd party parts. Do you have any idea how much cheaper a new PC with the same hardware as a mini would be? About $500 and that comes with a monitor, mouse and keyboard. For $900, you could spec a PC that would beyond crush a mini and would even match the hardware of the $2,499 quad core Mac Pro.

Face it, at EVERY price/performance point, Mac is considerably more expensive than a comparable PC. Maybe you justify it because you get to use the "genius bar" and their customer service is good and the computer is pretty, because that's about all they're trumping anyone on these days.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 AM

11,761 posts, read 11,319,786 times
Why, oh why hasn't this thread been locked? This argument degenerates every time it comes up and it absolutely never accomplishes anything.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one who said Mac's only have a 1% failure rate.
And I didn't say it either. Reading comprehension, try it.

Quote:
I figured if we're going to be throwing around unsubstantiated claims, that link would serve as conclusive proof you were wrong.
Thanks for admitting that you make unsubstantiated claims.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,350,995 times
Quote:
As anyone who uses many Apple products will tell you, if you buy anything after the first generation of an Apple product, there is a 99% chance that nothing will ever go wrong with it.
Quote:
I'm not the one who said Mac's only have a 1% failure rate.
Quote:
And I didn't say it either. Reading comprehension, try it.
I see.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:09 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,985,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I see.
lol, KaaBoom has officially lost all integrity. Oh well, let's ignore his meritless posts going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or