U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 19.35%
No 75 80.65%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:42 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,058,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So you are only a little bit biased, huh?

I voted no because as good as Macs are, Windows PCs are NOT worthless, they are cheaper (in most cases), and there are many more choices.

I won't buy a laptop computer without a replaceable battery. And as good as the Mac experience might be, I happen to like my Win7 experience very much. I would gain nothing in productivity by switching.

I think Mac marketshare will continue to grow. As it does - the hackers will increase their focus on Macs, which have been shown to be just as hackable today as PCs are. The Safari browser is a proverbial sieve.
ZOMG the Mac doomsday prediction that never happens, even as the Mac market-share continues to rise, year after year. I thought most of you PC fanbois had given up that argument in 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 02:08 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's so sad that Apple has walked so far away from it's hacker roots. I am glad that Microsoft and non-proprietary versions of *nix keep that area open.
How does Microsoft keep that area open? Other than the fact that they run on relatively open hardware?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 AM

1,309 posts, read 3,039,211 times
i went over to a imac desktop after years of haveing a windows p.c. and find it easlyer to use in the long run for me for me it been a more stable program in the long run to deal with the closed o.s. system of the mac .. ..

we use windows at work and i do not have a problem with the platfrom the problem i have with windows is the back door opening that the software company put into the software and it allows people to break into the computer allow them to take personal info out of the computer harddrive system

for my personal desk top was hacked and alot of personal items where taken from the hard drive .even with the good security software and antivirus software you can still have problems..

Old 10-03-2010, 02:25 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,058,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well people haven't realized this in over a decade so I'd say it's not going to happen.

If you're a virus writer (regardless of the type of virus) what platform are you going to target to achieve your level of notoriety? The platform with a 3-3.5% market share or the platform with an approx 85+% market share?
Hint, people usually achieve notoriety for being the first to do something. Nobody has ever achieved any level of notoriety for doing what a million 12 year old kids have already successfully done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
For a good comparison on market share and virus activity take a look at the virus activity on IPad, IPhone and IPod, which have a greater market share of that particular sector, and a greater number of security threats.

Apples according to Apple themselves (in November 2008) also require anti-virus protection, so apparently they're virus prone too.
I guess you didn't read the update at the bottom of that article, did you? "Apple said in a statement sent to SecurityFocus. "The Mac is designed with built-in technologies that provide protection against malicious software and security threats right out of the box. However, since no system can be 100 percent immune from every threat, running antivirus software may offer additional protection.""

Last edited by KaaBoom; 10-03-2010 at 02:38 AM..

Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,974,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How does Microsoft keep that area open? Other than the fact that they run on relatively open hardware?
That's basically it. It's more that you can put together a computer, soldier your own motherboard, or just strip the kernel and run it on switches and NAS units. You can technically do the same with OSX but not legally.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
That's basically it. It's more that you can put together a computer, soldier your own motherboard, or just strip the kernel and run it on switches and NAS units. You can technically do the same with OSX but not legally.
But IBM is the company that made the decision to keep the platform relatively open. Microsoft is just a software vendor, albeit a very dominant one these days.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
But IBM is the company that made the decision to keep the platform relatively open. Microsoft is just a software vendor, albeit a very dominant one these days.
It doesn't matter who made the decision regarding the PC platform. What matters is that Microsoft chose not to deviate from this and become an Apple-like vendor. This is what makes it more attractive to hobbyists.

Microsoft could have easily released New Technology as a proprietary platform and left DOS/Windows for the open x86 PCs. But they didn't.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter who made the decision regarding the PC platform. What matters is that Microsoft chose not to deviate from this and become an Apple-like vendor. This is what makes it more attractive to hobbyists.

Microsoft could have easily released New Technology as a proprietary platform and left DOS/Windows for the open x86 PCs. But they didn't.
If by New Technology you're referring to the Windows NT line, I'm curious how you think they would have done that in the mid 1990's. They didn't have that much clout at that time.

I still think you give them far too much credit. They don't create the BIOS, the motherboard hardware, or anything else, and they certainly don't provide the specifications for such things.

I also think they'd run into antitrust trouble again by doing what you suggest, and I suspect the existence of Linux is one of the very few things that keeps the courts off their back today.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
If by New Technology you're referring to the Windows NT line, I'm curious how you think they would have done that in the mid 1990's. They didn't have that much clout at that time.
Yea... NT... I just spelled it out. NT was very popular among the enterprise and the gamers. There was no better computer gaming platform than NT at the time (in terms of performance).
Quote:
I still think you give them far too much credit. They don't create the BIOS, the motherboard hardware, or anything else, and they certainly don't provide the specifications for such things.
MS doesn't play a part in hardware by choice. Not because they lack know-how. MS made a decision to continue to offer software capable of running on a variety of PC configurations.
Quote:
I also think they'd run into antitrust trouble again by doing what you suggest, and I suspect the existence of Linux is one of the very few things that keeps the courts off their back today.
NT was initially for the enterprise. It's only competitor at the time was Apple workstations. Because of this distinction, there would probably not have been antitrust issues at the time. Also, in the NT 3.x days, Apple had more marketshare. This alone would have kept antitrust problems away.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:54 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,976,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Especially once people realize how notoriously unreliable, slow, virus-prone, and complete pieces of worthless junk that Windows PCs are?

I can understand workplaces purchasing Windows machines for employees, since they are cheaper, but why would anyone choose to buy a Windows PC over an Apple macbook for personal use?
I say yes Mac will "overtake" PC's since it's already happened long ago. Don't believe me? Well, consider that the graphical interface on PC's was stolen from Apple in the first place........

The Mac Observer - The Back Page - Yes, Microsoft Did Steal Apple's Interface (Under License)

Apple versus Microsoft: The top 20 stolen ideas of the OS wars | Windows - InfoWorld

So for all you PC & MAC fans know this.......The computer war is over and everybody won!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or