U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 19.35%
No 75 80.65%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,193 posts, read 22,566,690 times
Reputation: 6168

Advertisements

Apple will continue to grow, and may become the company with the largest single share of the market, but Windows will continue to dominate and will be the most common OS on the planet. Despite Apple's sales, they still only command something around 11% of the world-wide market. Roughly 2% of the world uses an 'other type of OS (Linux, etc.), so that leaves MS with 85% + (give or take, I know the numbers don't match up) of the total world market. As far as OS is concerned, Apple will never overtake MS unless MS goes under.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
I have never used a Mac but one reason one would rather use a PC is for video games since Macs are not able to fully utilize them and for most can't even play them. Also major game companies will continue to make there games playable only on the PC since it would take more money to make them compatible with a Mac.
Unless you have been asleep since 2006, Macs can natively run XP, Vista, and 7. I am talking about the actual ability to boot into Windows -not just run it virtually, thus, any Mac built since 2006 has the ability to be a 'PC'. Heck, you can never use OSX again on your Mac and just use it to run 7, or what ever.

So, for those who continue to claim that Macs cannot run the same games have no idea what they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I won't buy a laptop computer without a replaceable battery. And as good as the Mac experience might be, I happen to like my Win7 experience very much. I would gain nothing in productivity by switching.
Not sure what you are talking about, Apple laptops do have a replaceable battery.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
PCs are like tanks too if you buy the right ones. Comparing Apple vs Windows to Jag vs Camry is a horrible comparison.
Yes, but if you haven't noticed, there are many Windows users who are using their $300 desktop purchased from Wal-Mart as the impetus for their argument. There is simply no comparison there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Because the people who know what they're doing with computers can modify Windows anyway they want and fix any problem they have with them. They're scared to come over to Apple where the OS and troubleshooting is not as flexible. Also, people with PCs like to tinker with them, like some people like to do with old cars, it's a hobby and they can't really do that the same way with a Mac.

So in short, Macs are for people who just want the computer to do its job, PCs are for people who want to customize everything and who enjoy troubleshooting their own problems.
Gah, the ignorance continues. You can access, and modify, the OS on a Mac just as you can on a PC. There is a rather large community of Mac users who do just this.

But, your post makes the assumption that all PC users want to customize their machines. The fact is that most PC users, just like most Mac users do not know anything beyond basic computing skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2010, 12:31 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Not sure what you are talking about, Apple laptops do have a replaceable battery.
You mean they stopped sealing their batteries into the chassis? You can pop them out now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 01:40 PM
 
85 posts, read 84,668 times
Reputation: 117
I voted no, for three reasons:

1. Cost. For clerical workers, etc., you can get a Windows desktop for about 500 bucks. Double that for the equivalent Mac (unless you go with a Mac Mini). Want more power? The Mac model doubles, the Windows model doesn't.

2. Compatibility. Whether it's licenses for Office Suite or developing on .NET, the compatibility hurdles to clear are fewer for Windows in most office environments. Obviously, you can mod a Mac to do just about anything, including running Windows (!) but the question is, do the higher-ups want to do this, or will they go with what's easiest? They will always go with what's easiest; they have way too many other things to worry about during the day.

3. User resistance. More people in the workforce have been exposed to Windows. The Mac learning curve can be intimidating, even though it's not that different from Windows. Many people operate computers by remembering where to point and click, not by being conscious of the task sequences being performed. I think Windows is the winner here, and it's all about comfort. I noticed this while encouraging people to try OpenOffice or AbiWord. People will not. They are afraid that if it ain't Word, they won't remember which icon to click. Sad but true.

That said, I stick with Mac and Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You mean they stopped sealing their batteries into the chassis? You can pop them out now?
Abso-freaking-lutely! I have a Pro work machine I'm modding over the next month. First task is to replace the dead battery. No kidding, it just pops right out, and then I order a new one online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I say yes Mac will "overtake" PC's since it's already happened long ago. Don't believe me? Well, consider that the graphical interface on PC's was stolen from Apple in the first place........

The Mac Observer - The Back Page - Yes, Microsoft Did Steal Apple's Interface (Under License)

Apple versus Microsoft: The top 20 stolen ideas of the OS wars | Windows - InfoWorld

So for all you PC & MAC fans know this.......The computer war is over and everybody won!!!!
It's always funny how folks with this argument forget to mention XEROX. Simply saying that MS copied Apple's GUI gets thrown out by the fact that Apple just copied XEROX's GUI. Apple was no innovator here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 02:52 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Exaggerate much?



Would you like to try and prove your comment that you can buy a decent computer (with comparable specs) for half what apple would charge?

iMac
27-inch Widescreen LED Backlit IPS Display
3.20GHz Intel Core i3
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM
$1,699.00

Half the price is $849.50

Here, let me help you get started.

Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Widescreen IPS Display
$1,099.00

Oops, the display alone is worth more then half the price of the Mac setup. Well maybe you can find it on sale. Good luck with that.

That may be true, but there is very little demand for those specs. Apple's ability to offer a top of the line monitor for less will not make a big move in marketshare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 17,969,339 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's always funny how folks with this argument forget to mention XEROX. Simply saying that MS copied Apple's GUI gets thrown out by the fact that Apple just copied XEROX's GUI. Apple was no innovator here.

Nobody said that Apple didn't copy XEROX. All I noted was that Apple and Microsoft had a dust up over the Apple GUI that Microsoft wanted in the worst possible way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 03:40 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Reputation: 12847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Nobody said that Apple didn't copy XEROX. All I noted was that Apple and Microsoft had a dust up over the Apple GUI that Microsoft wanted in the worst possible way.

So what is your point exactly? The fact that Microsoft and Apple has a 'dust up' over GUI 20 years ago really doesn't support your belief that Apple will pull ahead in the future. It doesn't even correlate, but yet you use it as your supporting argument.

That's like saying that PALM Phones will pull ahead of Apple phones because Apple stole the smart phone concept from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Ohio
20,679 posts, read 14,651,740 times
Reputation: 16938
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Especially once people realize how notoriously unreliable, slow, virus-prone, and complete pieces of worthless junk that Windows PCs are?

I can understand workplaces purchasing Windows machines for employees, since they are cheaper, but why would anyone choose to buy a Windows PC over an Apple macbook for personal use?
It depends on the governments.

If the US government would cease purchasing PCs and switch to Macs, then the majority of state, county and municipal governments plus schools would switch to Macs and a huge chunk of business would follow suite, and then so would consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 03:51 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It depends on the governments.

If the US government would cease purchasing PCs and switch to Macs, then the majority of state, county and municipal governments plus schools would switch to Macs and a huge chunk of business would follow suite, and then so would consumers.
As long as macs cost more and businesses need to turn a profit, PCs will dominate. Office workers don't need a $1600 mac with a 27" screen to access email and the accounting system. A $500 PC with a $180 22" screen is more than adequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Reputation: 12847
In a corporate environment, Windows has a more attractive licensing scheme since CALs are bundled with the servers. And no one in there right mind is going to use AppleOSX for Directory Services, LDAP, etc. *nix has a place here, but it doesn't mesh well with Windows or Apple clients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top