U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 19.35%
No 75 80.65%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,327,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Most European businesses and governments have been doing so for years.
All OSes should be free and never belong to a privately held profit-based company.

Overall per-user cost and lack of unconditional control by its users are probably the 2 main reasons for Windows' downfall in the market share.

Will Apple over take over Windows or any other OS? Not F'ing likely! I cannot be the only one disliking Apple's single-button mouse!
Single button mouse? What's that? The Apple mouse I have has no buttons. I just program it (in the Systems Preferences) to do the following:
a. Tracking speed
b. Scrolling speed
c. Clicking speed
d. Secondary click: right, or left
e. Scroll: with momentum, or without momentum
f. Screen zoom: Zoom while holding control (there are 4 options to choose from in here)
g. When zoomed in, the screen images moves: (there are four options to choose from in here)
h. Two fingers control: Swipe left/right to navigate

The mouse is Bluetooth, and so the keyboard (both supplied with the computer at not extra charge)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:15 AM

Oh, I forgot: it's a "touch" (like a touchpad) mouse in that I move my fingers on it to scroll up/down or side to side, or just to move the pointer to a link. After that, all i do is to press the front of the mouse to "click" or double-click on something. Or just to highlight a paragraph, photo, or anything else, or even to grab and drag something from one place to another, or to copy it for pasting somewhere else.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:56 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,059,875 times
Quote:
Will Apple over take over Windows or any other OS? Not F'ing likely! I cannot be the only one disliking Apple's single-button mouse!
One button mouse? You PC fanbois make me laugh.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:29 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,270,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I would like to have a MAC, but they are too expensive for me. I think if they were cheaper they could maybe take over Windows PC.
Apple and M$ have two completely different business models, thus Apple will never be anything but a minor player.

Apple wants to sell proprietary hardware to run their OS, and while it obviously makes them money, it also limits them.

If they released a version of OS X today that I could install on one of my PC's, I'd be on my way to the store to buy it. But with the proprietary hardware platform costing 3X what a PC costs, I'll pass.

The only purpose of an OS is to interface between applications and the hardware, manage hardware resources, and provide a user interface allowing users to launch apps.

I'm running a browser, a word processor, a IM app, a PIM, an email client, right now. The only thing I ask of the OS is to allow those apps to utilize the hardware.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:35 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,059,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
But with the proprietary hardware platform costing 3X what a PC costs, I'll pass.
Yes, me too. Please I need your help. I'm tired of getting ripped off by Apple and having to pay 3X the price for Apple's proprietary hardware. Could you please give me some buying advice? Since you seem to know so much about hardware prices.

This is what I need. I need a 13" laptop, at least 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 250GB, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics, with at least 10 hours of battery life. I'm not going to pay $999 for that over priced MacBook. So could you please send me a link for where I can buy a good laptop with those specs for $333?

Oh and I'm going to be needing a Desktop setup too. Here is what I need. 3.20GHz Intel Core i3 or better, 4GB of RAM, 1TB Serial ATA Drive ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB with a 27" IPS widescreen monitor. Apple's price is $1699. So the PC price should be about $566. Could you please find me a deal on that too? Thanks so much, for helping me see the light about how over priced Macs are. With your advice I'll be able to save almost $2000.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:57 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,846,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Oh, I forgot: it's a "touch" (like a touchpad) mouse in that I move my fingers on it to scroll up/down or side to side, or just to move the pointer to a link. After that, all i do is to press the front of the mouse to "click" or double-click on something. Or just to highlight a paragraph, photo, or anything else, or even to grab and drag something from one place to another, or to copy it for pasting somewhere else.
It is a mouse, no its a touch-pad, no it is .....uh who the F cares, it is an odd thing. Again, it was just my view on the single button MAC mouse probably because I am so damn used to the 2/3-button PC mouse/trackballs with a scroll wheel. Different strokes for different folks and it is all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
One button mouse? You PC fanbois make me laugh.
I knew you MAC luvers had a sense of humor and glad you got a laugh out of it but it sounded more like you were mad instead of laughing.

Anyhow, I gotta admit, that giant tylenol capsule looking thing really didn't help with the way I view Apple's pointing device but hey, as long as you like that goofy sci-fi looking thing.

PS. I knew this thread would turn into a pissing contest between PC and MAC users regardless of the fact that some people were just stating their personal opinion and nothing more....

Old 10-11-2010, 12:26 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
My 2 cents:

1) The mouse doesn't matter on either platform. They work differently, but work equally well. Apple's mouse is just as functional as a PC's. Switching between them can be difficult to new users because they are intended to be used differently. Nothing wrong with that.

2) Apple's hardware platform is technically the same as a PC's hardware platform. You can run Windows on Macs and you can technically (without license, once hardware check is removed) run OSX on a PC. Apple designs it's own computers in the same way HP designs theirs. The only difference is Apple's approach to software.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,681,977 times
Will Apple macs ever overtake Windows PCs?

I think the answer to that is: Depends how bad MS f***s up! Vista was a tremendous boost for Apple's sales.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
It is a mouse, no its a touch-pad, no it is .....uh who the F cares, it is an odd thing. Again, it was just my view on the single button MAC mouse probably because I am so damn used to the 2/3-button PC mouse/trackballs with a scroll wheel. Different strokes for different folks and it is all good.

I knew you MAC luvers had a sense of humor and glad you got a laugh out of it but it sounded more like you were mad instead of laughing.

Anyhow, I gotta admit, that giant tylenol capsule looking thing really didn't help with the way I view Apple's pointing device but hey, as long as you like that goofy sci-fi looking thing.

PS. I knew this thread would turn into a pissing contest between PC and MAC users regardless of the fact that some people were just stating their personal opinion and nothing more....
I am telling you that the Apple mouse I have does not have any buttons. It's an infrared wireless mouse that connect to the wireless keyboard and computer via Bluetooth. It has no buttons whatsoever, and looks different than the one posted above.

This is the one I have, but there are a few others:
http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I am telling you that the Apple mouse I have does not have any buttons. It's an infrared wireless mouse that connect to the wireless keyboard and computer via Bluetooth. It has no buttons whatsoever, and looks different than the one posted above.

This is the one I have, but there are a few others:
Apple - Magic Mouse - The world
This is also available for PC. Less common because it doesn't really add any practical features over a traditional PC mouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or