Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 18.75%
No 78 81.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,607 times

Advertisements

Especially once people realize how notoriously unreliable, slow, virus-prone, and complete pieces of worthless junk that Windows PCs are?

I can understand workplaces purchasing Windows machines for employees, since they are cheaper, but why would anyone choose to buy a Windows PC over an Apple macbook for personal use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:52 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,562 times
I have never used a Mac but one reason one would rather use a PC is for video games since Macs are not able to fully utilize them and for most can't even play them. Also major game companies will continue to make there games playable only on the PC since it would take more money to make them compatible with a Mac.

I can see people who love editing photos or movies or even create art would love to use a Mac but for the most part people rather buy a PC since there is more comparability with software than there is with a Mac.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I voted "no," but not for the reason you probably imagined. Desktop PCs are on the way out. Apple will stop making desktop PCs before they go all the way out. I would not be surprised to see that happen by the end of this decade. By then, market share won't matter.

Apple knows that the iOS is its future. Mobile platforms are where Apple truly cares about market share. That's also why you haven't seen those Mac Guy/PC Guy commercials for a couple of years.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Especially once people realize how notoriously unreliable, slow, virus-prone, and complete pieces of worthless junk that Windows PCs are?

I can understand workplaces purchasing Windows machines for employees, since they are cheaper, but why would anyone choose to buy a Windows PC over an Apple macbook for personal use?
Because so much software both freeware and shareware is available for PCs.
Most people, if they are using any kind of updated virus protection, never have a problem with viruses.

You want worthless junk? How about Itunes and Ipods? No support for WMA, can't just plug an Ipod into a different PC and move music around (it is mated to one PC with one music library), over marketed (you're paying for a lot of marketing).

Old 10-01-2010, 01:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:

Wow you really bought the apple party line. Windows is as fast and reliable as the hardware under it. Buy a $299 Compaq on sale at Office Depot and you'll get a crappy computer. Buy a decent computer and you'll have a fine experience and still wind up paying half what apple would charge. Something that gets the job done and is cheaper will always sell more units than a more expensive competitor regardless of how loudly the fanbois kick and scream that their choice is better somehow. As long as Windows is the dominant platform with the lions share of apps, I will use it since I like more than a handful of choices from one company when it comes to hardware.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:49 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:

So you are only a little bit biased, huh?

I voted no because as good as Macs are, Windows PCs are NOT worthless, they are cheaper (in most cases), and there are many more choices.

I won't buy a laptop computer without a replaceable battery. And as good as the Mac experience might be, I happen to like my Win7 experience very much. I would gain nothing in productivity by switching.

I think Mac marketshare will continue to grow. As it does - the hackers will increase their focus on Macs, which have been shown to be just as hackable today as PCs are. The Safari browser is a proverbial sieve.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Well people haven't realized this in over a decade so I'd say it's not going to happen.

If you're a virus writer (regardless of the type of virus) what platform are you going to target to achieve your level of notoriety? The platform with a 3-3.5% market share or the platform with an approx 85+% market share?

For a good comparison on market share and virus activity take a look at the virus activity on IPad, IPhone and IPod, which have a greater market share of that particular sector, and a greater number of security threats.

Apples according to Apple themselves (in November 2008) also require anti-virus protection, so apparently they're virus prone too.

If they're PC's are slow, then please explain the following benchmark results for Half-Life 2 on the same hardware Booting Win 7 from Boot Camp (this is from a Mac gaming site too)

Resolution 2560x1440 Win 7 35.4fps, Mac OS X 10.6 12.86fps,
Resolution 1920x1080 Win 7 55.25fps Mac OS X 10.6 20.50fps

Quote:
Personally because on the same hardware I can get more performance from a Windows based machine than a Mac. In general, the most intensive personal applications (that are not for business use) that most people use are 3D gaming software. Yes there are a few people who seriously mess (and by that I mean more than just getting your video to youtube or images to photobucket) with graphics, video or music production but the numbers are very small in comparison to 3D gaming. So bang for the buck, I'd choose a PC over a Mac, and it comes with a free extra mouse button too.

Bowie raises a good point too, network connected devices are the future, however Apple has to get over it's proprietary nature to be successful in that arena. Enforcing constraints on the user normally ends badly for the company (can we say Antitrust?), at the moment market penetration of these devices isn't too high for regulators to begin regulating, but it isn't too far away, Europe is already discussing the closed nature of iTunes, and the FTC has probed Apple mobile ad practices.

Of course there's a lot of complaints already from users about installing applications on iPhone or iPad that do not come from the Apple app store. Of course Apple has yet to release an SDK for the iPhone/iPad which limits the ability of third party developers to AJAX only (and not the underlying OSX classes) which is limiting them from being successful in developing really killer applications. If Apple want to be very successful in this space, then they need to get over treating iOS like an angry father behaves towards their 18 year old daughter. The competition is not that far behind (or even at a debatable parity), and some (Microsoft, Google) have significantly more resources than Apple.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:09 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The fact of the matter is if you take a Macintosh, Linux and a PC that are built with the same Intel motherboard, CPU, RAM and comparable video cards, and then use the same bench test mark you will find you spent $9.000 to learn there isn't a nickles worth of difference between them when it comes to raw performance.

The rest is smoke and mirrors except ... Mac doesn't catch PC Viruses or throw a BSOD, and PC users have never seen a KP.or caught a unix virus.

The PC was an IBM creation. Apple designs and sells a Macintosh computer which includes Apple software for destops and servers. It does not produce PCs.. MS produces software. There is no "Windows" computer; it is a PC running a MS operating system. The Macintosh is an Apple computer running Apple software on a Apple modified Unix platform

I have quad core 64 bit Win 7 and 64 bit Snow Leopard machines networked along with dual core Leopard machines and a single processor XP. Some are wireless, some are not..They all do the same thing. The only difference is how fast and how well each machine compiles data.

To my knolege the last manufacture that built a desktop Personal Computer and wrote its own OS and software for that computer was IBM -- and that was pre-Windows. Apple still designs its own Macintosh machines and Apple software.

If you want ot compare something try MS vs Unix software.

Last edited by linicx; 11-22-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
f they're PC's are slow, then please explain the following benchmark results for [URL="http://themacgamer.com/2010/05/28/half-life-2-performance-mac-vs-pc/"]Half-Life 2[/URL] on the same hardware Booting Win 7 from Boot Camp (this is from a Mac gaming site too)

Resolution 2560x1440 Win 7 35.4fps, Mac OS X 10.6 12.86fps,
Resolution 1920x1080 Win 7 55.25fps Mac OS X 10.6 20.50fps
I ran these tests months ago and things have improved since then. Please bear in mind that the Source engine was developed for Windows, not Mac OS X. It takes time working with Apple, AMD/NVIDIA and specific developers to improve performance. Look at something like World of Warcraft for more informative results. It's been on both platforms longer so it's a better judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Of course there's a lot of complaints already from users about installing applications on iPhone or iPad that do not come from the Apple app store. Of course Apple has yet to release an SDK for the iPhone/iPad which limits the ability of third party developers to AJAX only (and not the underlying OSX classes) which is limiting them from being successful in developing really killer applications. If Apple want to be very successful in this space, then they need to get over treating iOS like an angry father behaves towards their 18 year old daughter. The competition is not that far behind (or even at a debatable parity), and some (Microsoft, Google) have significantly more resources than Apple.
What competition? There aren't many tablets out in the wild. Samsung are coming out with the Tab (more expensive than the iPad) and RIM have just announced their Playbook. There's little competition...yet.

iOS is different from Android or Chrome. It's closely monitored, limited but it does what it does very well. There have been killer apps for iPhone and iPad - mostly games.

Oranges and apples.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:

Nope, Windows is not unreliable, or slow.

The OS is not the reason for Windows being attacked by so many viruses, but the fact it is the dominate OS. Apple has been spared for the most part because there are so few it is hardly worth the effort of attack them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers