Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 18.75%
No 78 81.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I knew you MAC luvers had a sense of humor and glad you got a laugh out of it but it sounded more like you were mad instead of laughing.
Oh, no. I'm laughing. Trust me, I'm laughing. What I find so incredibly funny, A side from the fact that you are under the mistaken impression that I have some affection for Media Access Control addresses. I find it funny that most of reasons you PC fanbois give for not liking Macs, are not logical. Don't get me wrong. I know there are a lot of very good reasons for choosing to own a PC over a Mac. But most of the reasons given by you PC fanbois are simply not valid reasons. Just look are some of the examples in this thread.

1. Won't buy a laptop computer without a replaceable battery.

Dah, all laptops (Mac & PC alike) have replaceable batteries. How could anyone even make a non replaceable battery?

2. Won't buy a Mac, because Macs get viruses just like PCs do.

Actually they don't, but even if it is possible that there may someday be a virus successfully written for OS X. It's a bit retarded not to buy a computer for something that could, maybe, possibly, someday happen to it, while using a computer platform that has already had it happen many times already.

3. Rather buy a decent computer for half what apple would charge.

Yea right, just try just try and buy a decent computer for $350, or a decent set up with a 27" IPS monitor for $850.

4. Won't buy a computer with the proprietary hardware platform costing 3X what a PC costs.

3X what a PC costs?

5. Won't buy a Mac because I dislike Apple's single-button mouse.

First, Apple doesn't a mouse like that, and even if they did. Not buying a Mac because you dislike Apple's mice, would be like me not buying a PC, because I don't like Microsoft's mice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
I just ran across a site that carries statistics on OS usage among the users of the site going back as far as 2002 or 2003 (depending on which stats). Looking here OS Statistics shows that at best, Apple's OS has risen to 7.2 percent and Linux topped out at 4.9 percent. Some version of Windows accounts for (currently) 87 percent. Seven years ago, Apple OS had 1.8 percent, Linux had 2.2 percent and some version of Windows had 93.2 percent. I suppose a person could extrapolate from that data that Apple OS might grow to 12.2 percent by 2017. My guess is that the Mac platform will continue to be a strong player in video and music edit situations where it excels, but will never be a dominate OS in the mainstream market.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:47 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
1. Won't buy a laptop computer without a replaceable battery.

Dah, all laptops (Mac & PC alike) have replaceable batteries. How could anyone even make a non replaceable battery?
I think the operative problem here is user replacement of the battery, current Macbook models have an internal battery that requires the case to be cracked to replace. Most PC laptops have a battery that is a separate unit that requires a slider or button to unlock and remove the battery. So this is a hair split. If your Mac is under warranty and you crack the case, you just voided your warranty, so it's back to an Apple it goes (or a service center which is inconvenient) and costs more than just the part (it's consumable and not covered by warranty). Whereas with many PC laptops no case cracking required...

Quote:
2. Won't buy a Mac, because Macs get viruses just like PCs do.

Actually they don't, but even if it is possible that there may someday be a virus successfully written for OS X. It's a bit retarded not to buy a computer for something that could, maybe, possibly, someday happen to it, while using a computer platform that has already had it happen many times already.
I don't know where to start with this, there's a lot of hair splitting going on here too, its disingenuous to say they don't have viruses; worms and Trojans are commonly mixed in to the "virus" label (personally I prefer the term malware). Thus yes OSX does indeed have malware because there are worms and trojans out there targeting Apple's platforms. Incidentally, almost all Windows malware is not a virus either, almost all currently active threats are worms or Trojans (Conflicker for instance is not a virus, it's a worm) most of the famous windows "viruses" (code red, Nimda) were actually worms.

Your statement of "even if it's possible" shows a critical lack of understanding on how to secure it from threats. Yes it is possible, great example was a security ad Google had running saying "click here to infect your PC!" there were 409 hits on that ad that would be 409 infections from the PC community who are well aware of security threats if the Ad was malicious.

OSX is based on FreeBSD (and subsequently TrustedBSD), which is how it gets its main form of security protection from threats because an attack cannot under normal circumstances deep six your machine, but can deep six your files. Which is now the same as Windows if you're running with UAC turned on. However if you can run OSX in root user and get infected with malware then you can suffer the same fate as an NT-XP machine. Now if someone develops a rootkit for OSX...

There is one OS that I consider secure (that being it would take a lot of time [perhaps a million man years] and effort to crack), the Integrity-178B from Green Hills since it's rated EAL6 by the NSA (of course there's nothing useful developed for it if you're not flying an F16, F22 or F35). By Comparison FreeBSD, Windows, AIX, HP-UX, and various flavors of Linux are EAL4

Quote:
3. Rather buy a decent computer for half what apple would charge.

Yea right, just try just try and buy a decent computer for $350, or a decent set up with a 27" IPS monitor for $850.

4. Won't buy a computer with the proprietary hardware platform costing 3X what a PC costs.

3X what a PC costs?
Not quite 1/2 price...but not far off it.
15" laptop, Intel i5 Core 2.53-2.8GHz Processor, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD (7200 RPM spindle), nVidia GTX 460M 1.5Gb graphics, Win 7 Home.

Price $1172

15" laptop, Intel i5 Core 2.53-2.8GHz Processor, 4Gb RAM, 500 Gb HDD, nVidia GT 330M 256Mb graphics, OSX. (http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MC372LL/A?mco=MTc0Njg1ODg - broken link) (5400 RPM spindle)

Price $1999

But the Sager while having a lightly smaller HD (320GB to 500GB) however it does have faster disk access because of the spindle speed, and does have a seriously powerful graphics setup (GeForce GTX460M in SLI to the Apples nVidia GT330M), it's also $800 cheaper although it is ~$200 for the MS equivalent of iWork, but that still makes it no small beans cheaper (about the same as a cheaper work laptop).

Quote:
5. Won't buy a Mac because I dislike Apple's single-button mouse.

First, Apple doesn't a mouse like that, and even if they did. Not buying a Mac because you dislike Apple's mice, would be like me not buying a PC, because I don't like Microsoft's mice.
Don't care, input devices are input devices, they've been evolving since pure keyboard input. There's nothing that Apple does that Microsoft or Linux can't do and vice-versa, it's hardware, and is independent of the software. The Apple Magic mouse does function (mostly) the same on the PC thanks to an update to the bluetooth driver that allowed someone to hack a working driver for PC. So if you feel the need that you must have, what appears to be certain carpal tunnel syndrome, then you can get it on PC just as easily as Mac.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
It is a simple choice for me. Buy a good windows computer for $800 or buy a good mac for $3,000. Until prices come down on macs they won't replace windows.

I am a satisfied iPod customer though. I've found ways around how it is linked with one computer and have software to upload my iPod music onto other computers. But I'll keep using iTunes with my windows server, thank you very much.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:05 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Oh, no. I'm laughing. Trust me, I'm laughing. What I find so incredibly funny, A side from the fact that you are under the mistaken impression that I have some affection for Media Access Control addresses.
Slap your head a little harder. You got Media Access Control Address, because I typed MAC instead of Mac? We were not even talking about NICs yet because of capitalizing the last two letters, you managed to come up with that? Really....sad attempt to belittle someone or to appear humorous but whatever!

Quote:
I find it funny that most of reasons you PC fanbois give for not liking Macs, are not logical.
Only a Applehead would turn this friendly "I like/I don't" type topic into "which is better" heated discussion. There are no single-button mouse in use with PCs that I've ever seen. Simplicity in the case of mouse, at least to me, is not a good thing (feature), I like my trackball/mouse with multiple button and scroll wheel, etc. so I can accomplish more in a GUI environment. If that is not 'logical' enough of a reason then perhaps I am wasting my time trying to reason with a fruit lover. Also, why does someone's likes and dislikes have to be 'logical'?
If I told you I do not like creamy-white mouse with a single button, purely based on cosmetics or my personal taste which may not sound logical but it is still a valid reason. Why even argue this?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:34 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
They seem to be taking over my IT classes. It's like everyone and their mom has a MacBook now!

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is also available for PC. Less common because it doesn't really add any practical features over a traditional PC mouse.
I had no idea the the PC had "touch" mouse. I find it quite useful, since I don't have to move and lift the mouse when I run out of desk-room, or just to move it around, just move my fingers on the mouse to scroll, copy tex or photos, etc. I use both PC and Macs at work, but we only have wired mouse (s) on the PCs.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I had no idea the the PC had "touch" mouse. I find it quite useful, since I don't have to move and lift the mouse when I run out of desk-room, or just to move it around, just move my fingers on the mouse to scroll, copy tex or photos, etc. I use both PC and Macs at work, but we only have wired mouse (s) on the PCs.
Not onlyo do PCs have touch mice, but Apple's very own Magic Mouse works on PCs as well.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I think the operative problem here is user replacement of the battery, current Macbook models have an internal battery that requires the case to be cracked to replace. Most PC laptops have a battery that is a separate unit that requires a slider or button to unlock and remove the battery. So this is a hair split. If your Mac is under warranty and you crack the case, you just voided your warranty, so it's back to an Apple it goes (or a service center which is inconvenient) and costs more than just the part (it's consumable and not covered by warranty). Whereas with many PC laptops no case cracking required...
The sealed battery is only applicable to one product - the MacBook Air - the other laptops all have swappable battery packs. And I'm guessing that as thin as that laptop is, it'd be hard to fit a battery housing to make it easily removable. So yea, while that may be a big bummer for that particular laptop, its not a "characteristic" of all Apple laptops.

All in all, they're computer options that we have. Each suits people differently. Pick what you like/works - and go with it.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:46 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
"Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?"

This is sort of like asking if more people will eventually buy Jaguar convertibles than Toyota Camrys. Of course they won't. But I like it that way. Apple products aren't meant for the Joe Q. Computer User.
i dont get it. jaguars have horrible reliability, and are over priced. oh wait, just like my dads imac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers