Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Apple ever overrtake Windows machines for personal/home use?
Yes 18 18.75%
No 78 81.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 PM

422 posts, read 790,266 times

Advertisements

Seeing as how they have overtaken the phone and music player markets in just a few years, I think it is entirely possible they will do the same for the computer market. People are already flocking to buy their macbooks and such, even though they are priced ridiculously high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,980,350 times
Yes they will overtake PCs. For one simple reason, it's easy to do a dual boot of Windows and OS X on a Mac. It takes a lot of patience and tinkering to do the same with a PC. I was hardcore PC for the last 20 years, until I finally got a Mac. I loaded up Bootcamp and Windows 7, and quite frankly it's as if I never got rid of my PC. I now have the best of both worlds, on one computer.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Yes they will overtake PCs. For one simple reason, it's easy to do a dual boot of Windows and OS X on a Mac. It takes a lot of patience and tinkering to do the same with a PC. I was hardcore PC for the last 20 years, until I finally got a Mac. I loaded up Bootcamp and Windows 7, and quite frankly it's as if I never got rid of my PC. I now have the best of both worlds, on one computer.
This doesn't apply to everyone. You might be okay using Apple hardware, but not everyone is. For example, no Apple laptops have trackpoints, while all midlevel+ business PC laptops have them. Not everyone is willing to downgrade from a trackpoint to a touchpad.

That's just one example. There's more to it than the software.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This doesn't apply to everyone. You might be okay using Apple hardware, but not everyone is. For example, no Apple laptops have trackpoints, while all midlevel+ business PC laptops have them. Not everyone is willing to downgrade from a trackpoint to a touchpad.

That's just one example. There's more to it than the software.

True but trackpoints are so 90s.

I know hardware is an issue for some people too. And after my 4th HP Envy with a manufacturing defect, I said screw it and went Mac. The build quality is second to none, even blows the Envy out of the water, which is one of the best on the PC side right now (my opinion of course).

Old 11-16-2010, 11:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,385,082 times
Most people have no need to spend $2000 and dual boot to check their email, watch Hulu, and do their taxes.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,423 times
I don't feel like reading 15 pages of posts, but the simple answer is no, they will never, ever overtake PC's for a myriad of reasons. And, to be blunt, anyone who thinks that they will is deluding themselves.

Apple has a 5% market share. That's about all they've had in decades. It will never make a significant gain.

Most computers are purchased for business use. Apple computers are a nightmare for administrators to work with, because they're so locked down and core-restricted. This is how Apple achieves its vaunted "security" within its OS. A colleague of mine refers to Apples as "computers with training wheels". It's a fair analogy. In a professional environment, administrators want easy full access to a computer's core and registry.

Furthermore, Apples are not cost effective. The "Apple Tax" is a very real thing. Apple caters to people who don't understand technology but want to feel that they do. They cater to people who want the "image" of being hip and cool because they own something with an Apple logo on it. Financially speaking, this is not a recipe for dominance. Apple loyalists love to go "Well my Mac works better than some Saturday Night Special Dell I bought 3 years ago!" The reality in this situation is that the person is comparing a $2500 machine to something they paid 400 bucks for. It's not an ample comparison. For half the cost of an Apple product, I can build a machine that will blow any Apple device out of the water in every possible benchmark or metric, and that is a fact. The people who make this comparison (the $2500 Apple vs the $400 Dell) are comparing oranges and kitchen blenders.

Lastly, Windows based machines co-exist better with Windows based servers. Apple servers have a non-existent footprint. Linux boxes account for a useful but insignificant percentage of back-end servers. Windows still reigns supreme in this aspect.

The entire conversation is a non-starter. There is nothing Apple makes that someone else doesn't make something better of. Nothing they have is new or revolutionary - the reality is most of their "revolutionary" products are 10 year old technologies that have been re-packaged and given a glitzy marketing campaign (I'm looking at you, iPad, iPod, etc.).

The day will never come, not now, not in the near future, not ever, that Apple overtakes Microsoft in terms of computers. Apple is morphing itself into a consumer goods company, not a technology company.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:07 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,577,423 times
Quote:
And how many people need to make this dual boot? Most people who dual boot do so between a Linux flavor and Windows. And even dual booting is becoming a bit of a relic with the advent of virtualization, which is what most professional enterprises use these days.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Most people have no need to spend $2000 and dual boot to check their email, watch Hulu, and do their taxes.
Since I got the 13" with student discount, I paid about as much as the Envy I had ($1200). Yea spec wise the MBP 13 doesn't even hold a candle to the Envy that I had (1 GB ATI switchable gfx, 1600x900 Radiance display on a 14.5", core i5, 500 GB 7200 RPM). But so far I'm happy with the MBP. I have no loss of functionality (I can still burn with Nero and use MS Word instead of iWorks lame program) and when I reevaluated my situation I realized, I never would use that much power anyways. Plus not having to bring my power cord everywhere because of the 9 hours of battery life is a definite plus.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,385,082 times
Quote:
Since I got the 13" with student discount, I paid about as much as the Envy I had ($1200). Yea spec wise the MBP 13 doesn't even hold a candle to the Envy that I had (1 GB ATI switchable gfx, 1600x900 Radiance display on a 14.5", core i5, 500 GB 7200 RPM). But so far I'm happy with the MBP. I have no loss of functionality (I can still burn with Nero and use MS Word instead of iWorks lame program) and when I reevaluated my situation I realized, I never would use that much power anyways. Plus not having to bring my power cord everywhere because of the 9 hours of battery life is a definite plus.
Not everyone gets a student discount. And if you legally dual boot, you're going to have to buy a copy of Windows, further adding to the higher cost of an apple. No thanks.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:
True but trackpoints are so 90s.

I know hardware is an issue for some people too. And after my 4th HP Envy with a manufacturing defect, I said screw it and went Mac. The build quality is second to none, even blows the Envy out of the water, which is one of the best on the PC side right now (my opinion of course).
The trackpoint might be so 90s but touchpads suck in comparison. I can't believe that evolution at all. Also, laptops with trackpoints have touchpads as well, for when you really need one.

Build quality of the Envy is okay. I still think that the Thinkpad T series have one of the best build qualities... followed by the Latitude E series. Even the HP Business series is decent. It's the consumer laptops that have poor quality. But that's why they're so cheap as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers