U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,654,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Those are not both AV programs.
And what planet are you from?

I'll make it simple for you:

1. Goto Google, type in "avast"
2. " " " " "superantispyware"

Please tell me what are they? Vaporware?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:16 PM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
And what planet are you from?

I'll make it simple for you:

1. Goto Google, type in "avast"
2. " " " " "superantispyware"

Please tell me what are they? Vaporware?
You should know what your talking about before criticizing someone, doesn't make you look to bright, superantispyware is a malware/spyware scanner, not an antivirus app.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You should know what your talking about before criticizing someone, doesn't make you look to bright, superantispyware is a malware/spyware scanner, not an antivirus app.
Did I say in that post I used SuperAntiSpyware for viruses? no I use Avast! for the viruses and the other for the worms and trojans. If the man had gone to the appropriate websites he could have read what they were for with his own two eyes.

I criticized him because he said neither were AV products. AND if you happen to look back at swaggers post he tells him the same thing (about getting Avast)

I put out the spyware/trojan program to get him to see there are more threats on the net then just viruses.... and I'm not saying those are the only threats out here but i don't think you or i should hold a dissertation on all the evils of the internet.

I'll only criticize someone back when they tell me I am wrong AND I HAVE THAT PROGRAM RUNNING ON MY SYSTEM DOING THE JOB(S) IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO.

I think you would agree with me a single AV product is not total protection, the clueless out here don't know the difference.

Last edited by plwhit; 10-14-2010 at 02:23 AM..

Old 10-14-2010, 07:25 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,313,240 times
Quote:
Did I say in that post I used SuperAntiSpyware for viruses? no I use Avast! for the viruses and the other for the worms and trojans. If the man had gone to the appropriate websites he could have read what they were for with his own two eyes.

I criticized him because he said neither were AV products. AND if you happen to look back at swaggers post he tells him the same thing (about getting Avast)

I put out the spyware/trojan program to get him to see there are more threats on the net then just viruses.... and I'm not saying those are the only threats out here but i don't think you or i should hold a dissertation on all the evils of the internet.

I'll only criticize someone back when they tell me I am wrong AND I HAVE THAT PROGRAM RUNNING ON MY SYSTEM DOING THE JOB(S) IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO.

I think you would agree with me a single AV product is not total protection, the clueless out here don't know the difference.
Thanks for having my back, NHDave. What I said was that those are not BOTH AV programs. They are not both AV programs. I don't need to go to any web site. I've run these programs before and know precisely what I'm talking about. Don't come in here criticizing me when you continue to post incorrect information (right up there where you said you use SuperAntiSpyware to protect against worms and trojans). Regulars on this forum know I give accurate advice and have been doing for nearly 3 years. You, not so much.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:57 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,429,731 times
Another virus scan you might look at is Malwarebytes - it's totally free. And another great one is Hitman Pro and you can try that for 30 days before buying. I totally agree that McAfee is absolute crap.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:04 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,330,670 times
If you want totally free there are torrented pirated versions of Spyware Dr and Eset Nod32 out there.

I bought Eset Nod32 2 computers / 2 years for around $89... now the cost of that is an expensive $104

Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 PM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Spyware Dr is garbage, it's load on system resources is as bad as norton used to be

Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Thanks for having my back, NHDave. What I said was that those are not BOTH AV programs. They are not both AV programs. I don't need to go to any web site. I've run these programs before and know precisely what I'm talking about. Don't come in here criticizing me when you continue to post incorrect information (right up there where you said you use SuperAntiSpyware to protect against worms and trojans). Regulars on this forum know I give accurate advice and have been doing for nearly 3 years. You, not so much.
I was going to flame but decided not to. From the SuperAntiSpyware website: SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware and Remove Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threat

How about this, we agree that one AV program is not going to make one's system clean....

The reason I post here now is because I had a major heart attack in 2009 forcing me to retire after 41 years in IT. I was part of the regional technical support staff (fly & fix) for Redacrton, Burroughs, Unisys and the Federal Government.

And being retired I have alot more time available to do this chatting.

I wasn't quite expecting some of the smug know-it-all attitudes I see here.

I've installed/previewed quite a few programs myself before (ambiguous term dontcha think?) Programs evolve over time, the code is made tighter, less memory intensive etc....

Bottom line here is I suggested a couple of programs that have done what they were asked to do (like clean them up) on quite a few systems and the solutions worked.

You think otherwise, fine... no sweat off my back...

Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,959 times
Quote:
Never trust a single AV program, not one of them will identify every virus, worm or trojan, mcafee is no different.

I use both Avast and SuperAntiSpyware.
What other AV program do you use?

I agree it wouldn't hurt to run two malware programs. I've heard it termed as "layering." It's pretty well known that not any one antimalware program can get every little critter.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
What other AV program do you use?

I agree it wouldn't hurt to run two malware programs. I've heard it termed as "layering." It's pretty well known that not any one antimalware program can get every little critter.
I have never had a need of another program besides the two I mentioned.. Between my 4 kids and their PC's/laptops have had a few episodes. The best resource I had was searching the internet for the symptoms their systems exhibited. I would follow suggestions, download whatever and the two I use now were the programs that fixed the problems.

I told them to protect their systems.... hello wall - teenagers, they know best.

At work we used the Norton AV suite, as far as I saw it was a better Gestapo spy on the user tool than it was an AV product. Eh, to each his/her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or