U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 08:14 PM

2,766 posts, read 6,566,150 times

Advertisements

So I've been having problems lately with my cable modem constantly resetting itself, often taking forever to reconnect. After a couple of calls to the cable company they said it seemed like an IP address issue. So they had me bypass the Linksys Router that I use, and reset the IP address on the computer. That seemed to solve the internet issues yesterday as it was working pretty good after that.

I went to reconnect my Router today, and I followed the steps on the Linksys website in order to make sure it was configured correctly, and the computer IP address changed back to the standard 192 type of number. So now there are issues again.

I tried to change the IP address on the router following steps on the linksys websites as it says it can cause conflicts if both the router and computer use the same IP address, well it instructed me to change one digit on the router's IP address, but that same digit was also changed on the computers IP address. So now I'm confused.

What could be the problem here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 12:12 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,343,249 times
What exactly do you mean by "cable modem constantly resetting itself, often taking forever to reconnect"? Is the cable modem going dark and attempting to reconnect to the cable company as if you'd pulled the power cord and reconnected it? That has nothing to do with the router and is either a bad modem or a weak signal coming from the cable company.

If your connection is reliable when you bypass there router, that indicates a faulty router. They can get flaky after a while.

When you connect either your router or PC to the modem, it gets a public IP address. Something like 64.118.45.29. That address is assigned dynamically by the cable company. Don't attempt to manually assign your own address.

When you connect your PC to the router, your PC will get a 192.168.1.x address. That is normal. Again, do not attempt to assign your computer an address manually unless you're very familiar with TCP/IP.

Keep in mind that cable modems typically will only talk to the first device they see after being powered on. So if you change which device (PC or router) is connected to the modem, you'll need to unplug the power from the modem to clear it.

Make all of your Ethernet connections, then power up the modem and wait for it to sync with the cable company. Next turn on your router and give it a couple of minutes to boot up and get an IP address from the cable company. If you PC doesn't work at that point, reboot it.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:14 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,653,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
So I've been having problems lately with my cable modem constantly resetting itself, often taking forever to reconnect.
Quote:
Assume this is your setup:
Quote:

ISP -----> Cable modem -----> Linksys router -----> PC

After a couple of calls to the cable company they said it seemed like an IP address issue. So they had me bypass the Linksys Router that I use, and reset the IP address on the computer. That seemed to solve the internet issues yesterday as it was working pretty good after that.

What device did you reset the IP address to?

I went to reconnect my Router today, and I followed the steps on the Linksys website in order to make sure it was configured correctly, and the computer IP address changed back to the standard 192 type of number. So now there are issues again.

The first octet of 192 means it's the Linksys router, not the ISP's modem.

I tried to change the IP address on the router following steps on the linksys websites as it says it can cause conflicts if both the router and computer use the same IP address, well it instructed me to change one digit on the router's IP address, but that same digit was also changed on the computers IP address. So now I'm confused.

What could be the problem here?

What number(s) did you try and change?

Can't vouch for all routers, the one I'm using nowis a Linksys, it's default IP address is 192.168.1.1.

I assume your Linksys router is set up for DHCP Server, is it enabled?, if it is how are the DHCP addresses configured?

I have my pc's assigned
and so on....

What EscapeCA says about powering off and resetting your equipment is very important. I suggest leaving the cable modem, the linksys router and your pc(s) unplugged for at least 5 miuntes.

Last edited by plwhit; 10-15-2010 at 12:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 AM

11,733 posts, read 11,311,179 times
There are many reported problems with some Linksys routers. The common symptom is that the wired connections hang up requiring the router to be rebooted. The two I had were Wireless B. I replaced them so I no longer have model numbers. NHDave has lots of info on this.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Is the cable modem going dark and attempting to reconnect to the cable company as if you'd pulled the power cord and reconnected it? That has nothing to do with the router and is either a bad modem or a weak signal coming from the cable company.
Yes. However, like I mentioned that problem seemed to resolve once the IP address was changed through the help of the cable company.

Quote:
If your connection is reliable when you bypass there router, that indicates a faulty router. They can get flaky after a while.
I don't think the router is the problem, I bypassed the router before having the IP address changed to see if the issue would go away but it didn't, modem continued to reset itself often several times an hour.

Quote:
Make all of your Ethernet connections, then power up the modem and wait for it to sync with the cable company. Next turn on your router and give it a couple of minutes to boot up and get an IP address from the cable company. If you PC doesn't work at that point, reboot it.
Thanks.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What number(s) did you try and change?
Cable company had me change the default gateway IP on the computer. Went from a 192 to a 98 I believe. Modem seemed to work beautifully after that. That IP went back to a 192 though after reconnecting the router.

Quote:
I assume your Linksys router is set up for DHCP Server, is it enabled?, if it is how are the DHCP addresses configured?
Correct, the IP of the router was at 192.168.1.1, Linksys website suggested changing the last two digits to 2.1 to prevent any conflicts with the default gateway, I did that but then the default gateway also changed to the same number as well.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 AM

In the case of Linksys routers used with Westell DSL modems, the problem was that the IP address of the modem and the router was the same; 192.168.1.1. In mine, I changed the address of the router to 192.168.0.1 and the problem went away. The Default Gateway address is critical to routing IP packets.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:04 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Quote:
Correct, the IP of the router was at 192.168.1.1, Linksys website suggested changing the last two digits to 2.1 to prevent any conflicts with the default gateway, I did that but then the default gateway also changed to the same number as well.
Westell (DSL) seems to be working a bit different with my USRobotics router than my Linksys router worked with Cox cable modem but typically DHCP/DNS/Gateway at home LAN refers to the router, so if you do a ipconfig /all in the command line, the IP address for above 3 would naturally be the same as they are pointing to the router, at least that is how I always seen it with my connections.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Westell (DSL) seems to be working a bit different with my USRobotics router than my Linksys router worked with Cox cable modem but typically DHCP/DNS/Gateway at home LAN refers to the router, so if you do a ipconfig /all in the command line, the IP address for above 3 would naturally be the same as they are pointing to the router, at least that is how I always seen it with my connections.
That's the way I see most of these things work too. However, the problem comes when the router and the modem have the same address, which ends up on the PC as the address of the DNS and the Default Gateway. What I saw was a computer that said it was connected, could ping, but could not surf.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That's the way I see most of these things work too. However, the problem comes when the router and the modem have the same address, which ends up on the PC as the address of the DNS and the Default Gateway. What I saw was a computer that said it was connected, could ping, but could not surf.
What you described does sound like a DNS issue since pinging (IPs) work but surfing (name addressing) fails. Like I said, over the years, the ISPs made a good job of automating the configuration of modems so all I do it connect my router to the modem, then my PC(s) to the router and boom.

I guess, I will swap the USRobotics router with my Linksys router to see how it works but normally, with Cox cable and Linksys, the Gateway and DHCP address would be the same as the router and DNS Server(s) would be whatever the modem gave the router. So DNS info would be passed down to the PC when you look up the information at the PC level and DHCP/Gateway would be the same IP as the router would be working as the DHCP assigning local IP address(es) to the connected machines. DNS address should not be the same as DHCP and it wasn't used to be that way. Even though mine shows DNS, DHCP and Gateway being the same address, seemingly odd a bit, all connected PCs still work just fine.

My suggestion to the OP would be since the problem is either with the router or the modem. Check on firmware updates for both. Worst case scenario, as a workaround, manually configure the DNS portion of the network configuration to reflect the correct information.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 10-18-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers