U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM

123 posts, read 183,528 times

Advertisements

In the past, I have had antivirus programs that I have not been happy with, such as Trend Micro, Uniblue, so this time I am being a little bit cautious. So far, I have had a free -trial of McAfee, which I was not pleased with, and now I am using a free -trial of AVG, which so far, is proving to be a winner.

However, I would like to try other free-trials, so I can make a complete evaluation, as to which deserves my hard-earned money. But I am wondering if the installing/uninstalling issue would damage my computer.

I have tried Malwarebytes' and Microsoft Essentials for some time, but was infected with viruses, which I suspect came from Microsoft Essentials not doing its job.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:36 PM

One more thing: Bitdefender has been voted as the best for 2011. Has anyone tried it, and if so, what is your opinion?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
I have tried Malwarebytes' and Microsoft Essentials for some time, but was infected with viruses, which I suspect came from Microsoft Essentials not doing its job.
No, you got infected from not taking precautions on the Internet. NO antivirus program can 100% protect the computer from the user. I've seen computers with every antivirus out there get infected. I run MS Security Essentials and have never been infected.

Instead of depending on your antivirus, do the following:

1) Avoid Internet Explorer. Use Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or Safari. Just don't use IE.

2) Keep Windows and browser plug-ins up to date. You can check your plug-ins at mozilla.com/plugincheck. Flash, Acrobat Reader, and Java are big vectors for infection. Keep them updated.

3) Don't believe everything you see. If some program you've never seen before claims your computer is infected, don't believe it. Its a stupid pop-up and if you continue, the pop-up is what will infect you. Shut down immediately without clicking anything on the pop-up.

4) Keep UAC enabled for Vista and Win7. Don't automatically click to allow/continue unless you know exactly what's going to happen. For XP, its best to run as a limited user but that can be a pain. Give it a try and see if you can work that way. If you can, you'll be more secure.

5) Get a NAT router even if you only have one PC. You may already have NAT built in to your cable/dsl modem. If your PC gets a 192.168.x.x address, then you're already behind NAT.

6) If you use Firefox, get a free add-on called NoScript. It allows Firefox to only run scripts from domains you trust. Running scripts from untrusted sources is very, very bad and its how 99% of this crap gets in.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 PM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
We've already told you what our recommendations are, but you went and got another trial program. To repeat information from a recent thread: Don't buy anything. Download Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free, updates automatically along with Windows, and also protects against spyware. In addition, download Malwarebytes Antimalware tool. My personal recommendation is to download Spybot Search and Destroy so you can use the Immunize feature. Others may recommend other programs, but, generally, most of the people here will agree that these are good programs for protecting your computer under most circumstances. Ask Tek, EC, MHDave, Asheville Native, Turco, etc. This is a reasonable recommendation.

Unless you post some specifics about your infection, we have no way to guess what it is, so making the assumption that it is a phishing problem is not unreasonable. Getting a popup is no indication that anything is wrong with MSE either. Like EC said, sometimes the problem isn't in the computer.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-18-2010 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: My mind is going. There is no question about it.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
We've already told you what our recommendations are, but you went and got another trial program. To repeat information from a recent thread: Don't buy anything. Download Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free, updates automatically along with Windows, and also protects against spyware. In addition, download Malwarebytes Antimalware tool. My personal recommendation is to download Spybot Search and Destroy so you can use the Immunize feature. Others may recommend other programs, but, generally, most of the people here will agree that these are good programs for protecting your computer under most circumstances. Ask Tek, EC, MHDave, Asheville Native, Turco, etc. This is a reasonable recommendation.

Unless you post some specifics about your infection, we have no way to guess what it is, so making the assumption that it is a phishing problem is not unreasonable. Getting a popup is no indication that anything is wrong with MSE either. Like EC said, sometimes the problem isn't in the computer.
Just want to get something cleared on my mind: Do you mean? Download Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and Spybot Search and Destroy all together? Or do you mean MSE and SSD, and leave Malwarebytes' out ?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:38 PM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
Just want to get something cleared on my mind: Do you mean? Download Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and Spybot Search and Destroy all together? Or do you mean MSE and SSD, and leave Malwarebytes' out ?
MSE runs on startup. The others only run when you start them, so you can have as many as you want. I like to use Spybot's Immunize feature, but I prefer to remove spyware with Malwarebytes. You should only have one AV program installed on your computer at a time (that's MSE). Spyware programs that are free generally have to be manually started, so you can have all you want.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Did we need another thread on this subject, I thought it had been pretty well covered in the other one

Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,033,199 times
I find it curious that you still get virus with anti virus programs. What are you doing that you should not be :P

Old 10-19-2010, 10:24 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I find it curious that you still get virus with anti virus programs. What are you doing that you should not be :P
You do? I don't find it curious in the least, a bit of reading for you.

Why anti-malware software doesn’t always work « Mister Reiner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers