Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:39 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

For what you're saying your usage is, you don't have to spend nearly that much. But if you do spend it, you might find you do a lot more on your computer.

After much research, deliberation, and advice from others I replaced my ancient Compaq laptop with an HP dv6t that I paid $599 for at Costco. It has an integrated Webcam (I wanted Skype for business meetings), 640GB of hard drive space, and the Intel processor -- not even their latest --seems extremely fast to me. I'm not a gamer and I never watched movies before on my computers, but now I do everything on it. I can watch (or even record) DVDs on the high-def 15.6" screen; I'm now watching almost all my TV on it since the picture is better than my current television. (I turned away from a similar highly rated Toshiba computer since my TV is a Toshiba and I'm not happy with it.)

I purchased from Costco because they have unlimited tech support from within the U.S., plus they offered a two-year warranty rather than the single year most competitors have, while equalling or bettering anyone else's price on this, including direct from HP.

A friend came over the other day moaning that she had forgotten to record a recent TV program she wanted to watch. In a minute I found it on Hulu and she watched it on my computer, utterly amazed at the quality of the sound and picture, as well as the ease of being able to carry the laptop anywhere in the house to watch a program.

I got spoiled REALLY quickly by this entertainment I didn't even think I needed! And have yet to call Costco tech support for anything. The only aspect I'm having to learn is the Windows 7 it came with. I was still using XP on my Compaq and also my Dell desktop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I had lap dances that cost me almost as much so a laptop for that much seems very reasonable to me!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:31 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
After much research, deliberation, and advice from others I replaced my ancient Compaq laptop with an HP dv6t that I paid $599 for at Costco. It has an integrated Webcam
Glad you are happy with it. Compaq makes me nervous because the support has been so shoddy with my dad's laptop. It sounds like the extended warranty Costco offers makes up for that shortcoming so you have taken care of their one shortcoming! Perfect. Good ending! hahaha

Old 11-05-2010, 01:52 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,525 times
I would agree with others who said Dell could be a good option.
For under $600 I got the Dell 15R

Model: N5010
Intel Core i3 cpu @ 2.27 GHz
4 GB RAM
64 Bit Operating System
300 GB Hard Drive Space
15.6 HD screen
2 Small Speaker - Sound is remarkable
6 Cell Battery - Good life
Web Cam
Free Delivery

Dell is good on having sells too, so you might luck out and find something pretty good. They only draw back I would note on this laptop is the fan. It is a hummer.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Glad you are happy with it. Compaq makes me nervous because the support has been so shoddy with my dad's laptop. It sounds like the extended warranty Costco offers makes up for that shortcoming so you have taken care of their one shortcoming! Perfect. Good ending! hahaha
My new laptop is HP Core i3-350M notCompaq. The Compaq I referred to was my original laptop purchased around 1998 which, in its defense, I used for MANY years. To tell you the truth, I haven't even seen Compaqs sold that many places outside of Walmart.

I made my first call to the Costco "Concierge" to ask a minor question and was VERY pleased with my interaction. They "enrolled" my computer while I was on the phone with the tech so I wouldn't have to repeat my info each time I called. In closing our conversation, she invited me to phone anytime, just to let them know how I was doing even if I didn't have an issue. First time I ever heard THAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers