U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:13 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
My Gateway 24" monitors are working fine, and they give a great image. My monitors are 3 and 1 years old. Gateway seems to make good LCD monitors.
No better than anyone elses, I have a client with 5 or 6 Gateway 20" 16.10's, all of them have failed with blown caps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 AM

11,707 posts, read 11,299,552 times
Back in the tube monitor days, Sony made monitors for Gateway. Although I'm not a fan of Gateway computers, I would consider their monitors as good as anybody else's. Sony monitors have also been sold with Dell's labels on them.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:32 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
I wonder how much e-waste could be eliminated if manufacturers would spend the extra pennies on better capacitors. Maybe the government should have some standards for caps so 2 year old monitors aren't going to the recycle center. Instead they just tax monitors.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:49 AM

857 posts, read 3,165,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
White screen? So there's no video, but the backlight works?

Something like that is almost always a power supply problem. And usually, that's because cheap capacitors are used in that power supply. If being in the sunlight had anything at all to do with it, it was minimal and having the monitor near a heating vent in the winter would have been equally bad. This, I am afraid, is the place where you really do get what you pay for... sometimes. Ironically, Apple used Foxconn to make much of its stuff, so in that case you often are paying top dollar for really cheap parts simply because Apple has "the brand." It's really just because something went "poof" and stuff is so cheap to make nowdays none of it ever gets tested before shipment.

If you knew what you were doing you could open it and replace the caps, probably for just a few dollars. But that's really only worth it if you are starving and can't afford to replace it at all. Buying a better name monitor is the way to go, keeping in mind there are plenty of good brands but you won't find ANY of them at Wal-Mart or the like. I personally have been using a 42" Panasonic G10 since the month they were released and I love it, but there are several good monitor brands like Acer (Yes, Acer!), Viewsonic, Panasonic, and NEC. NO WAY should you buy a Dell, Gateway, HP or some such, they are all lowest bid parts.
Thanks for the tip there! Too bad I just bought a used Dell. Oh well, I hope it lasts till tax time. Beggars can't be choosers, ya know. I was spoiled with my 19" widescreen. My husband says he'll get us a new better quality monitor then. Yay!

My husband was saying he noticed that the offices he's worked in tend to use a lot of Acers so they must be good for something.

I gave away the old one to some guy from CL. My loss is his gain.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,573,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I bought a brand new system with all the new accessories last summer. Yesterday as I'm surfing the net, the screen goes completely white. After some fiddling around, I determine that it's the monitor. I'm shocked because it isn't old at all. I had CRT's for what seemed like ages and even then, they gave me some warning that they were on their way out.

Of course, it's just a little over warranty. I call the store I bought it from and asked if there's any reason one would die so early. He said that the environment may have an impact. I later thought about how my monitor was in some direct sunlight in the late afternoon. I'm already in the process of preparing to get some blackout curtains for that.

Then I considered that it wasn't a brand name model. It's a I-INC.

Does anyone else have any ideas on the cause of this so I can avoid it with the next monitor?
Well, in the beginning of flat screens, it was not uncommon to have a failure due to the difficulty of their manufacture. These days though, it is less of an issue. I still think they are more prone to defect than the old CRT's (I know, I know, its a debatable position).

Usually, the most common failure for them is the back-light (the light around the edge of the screen to which illuminates the display). Another thing that is common is dead pixels. Careful on where you buy as the policies on replacement concerning that differ from place to place. You want a policy that will allow you to return for replacement even if it is only one pixel (some places will require a minimum of 3-5 before they will replace it).

Other than that, just read some reviews and buy from a reseller that has an excellent return policy. Also, some places have warranties that are fully replaceable for any reason for little cost. I picked up a 4 year warranty for mine for only 36 dollars and they will replace it even if I have a couple dead pixels a few years out.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 AM

783 posts, read 1,965,069 times
Gateway was bought by emachines years ago when I still worked in their call center. So if you buy Gateway you might as well save yourself money and buy an emachine - and they're both junk. Gateway was a good brand years ago, but it's been on a slide for a decade. And ANYTHING like this you buy at wal-mart is lowest bid, I have bought a laptop there but that's about as far as I would go. Wal-Mart buys such quantities and places so many demands on suppliers that much of the brand name stuff they sell was made FOR them specifically. You can't be sure which is which, safest bet is to avoid. When I want anything like this I go Newegg or Mwave - both have great prices and fantastic return policies. I even bought my 42" Panasonic plasma mail order.

The problem with capacitors is energy density. Old sets used to run off high voltage, so storing a lot of energy was easy. New electronics requires huge amounts of current but runs off lower voltage. This places an entirely different burden on the electronics - everything has to be very low resistance or impedance, which places greater stress on the part. It's almost unavoidable the parts fail sooner, especially given our consumerist society where there is no reward for making things last a decade or more.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,326,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No better than anyone elses, I have a client with 5 or 6 Gateway 20" 16.10's, all of them have failed with blown caps.
Those are probably old Gateway 20" monitors. The Gateway 24" monitors of the past 3 years have been good and I love their glossy screen, image, and quality.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 PM

16,454 posts, read 9,147,273 times
I had a Dell that lasted a little over a year and of course out of warranty. I then purchased a Acer mainly because it had a 2 year warranty and good reviews. It is now 3 years old and never had a problem.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,326,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I had a Dell that lasted a little over a year and of course out of warranty. I then purchased a Acer mainly because it had a 2 year warranty and good reviews. It is now 3 years old and never had a problem.
Was this Dell a desktop or a laptop?

Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,661,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I had a Dell that lasted a little over a year and of course out of warranty.
Most Dell LCD monitors are warranted for 3 years. We had one develop a stuck line at 2 years, 11 months. Dell overnight a brand new (and upgraded) one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers