U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM

796 posts, read 1,851,817 times

Advertisements

I bought a brand new system with all the new accessories last summer. Yesterday as I'm surfing the net, the screen goes completely white. After some fiddling around, I determine that it's the monitor. I'm shocked because it isn't old at all. I had CRT's for what seemed like ages and even then, they gave me some warning that they were on their way out.

Of course, it's just a little over warranty. I call the store I bought it from and asked if there's any reason one would die so early. He said that the environment may have an impact. I later thought about how my monitor was in some direct sunlight in the late afternoon. I'm already in the process of preparing to get some blackout curtains for that.

Then I considered that it wasn't a brand name model. It's a I-INC.

Does anyone else have any ideas on the cause of this so I can avoid it with the next monitor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 05:36 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,816,091 times
Realistically, it was probably just defective. I've never heard of that brand so know knows who made it and how cheap the parts in it were.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:12 AM

4,674 posts, read 3,455,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
I bought a brand new system with all the new accessories last summer. Yesterday as I'm surfing the net, the screen goes completely white. After some fiddling around, I determine that it's the monitor. I'm shocked because it isn't old at all. I had CRT's for what seemed like ages and even then, they gave me some warning that they were on their way out.

Of course, it's just a little over warranty. I call the store I bought it from and asked if there's any reason one would die so early. He said that the environment may have an impact. I later thought about how my monitor was in some direct sunlight in the late afternoon. I'm already in the process of preparing to get some blackout curtains for that.

Then I considered that it wasn't a brand name model. It's a I-INC.

Does anyone else have any ideas on the cause of this so I can avoid it with the next monitor?
Check out Dell UltraSharp. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. A better quality IPS monitor, and a three to five year warrantee, so you don't have to worry about it. These cheap $200 - $300 TN panels, do not last. I know, I'm using three 26" panels, that I paid $180 a piece for, just a year and a half ago. One of them just started flicking. I know it's dying. I'll probably have to replace them all within the next year. Which is sad, because they all match perfectly and look beautiful.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM

6,703 posts, read 5,428,004 times
I think most flat panel monitors are a crap shoot. I have 3 generic, no name I've heard of before, flat panels at home that have lasted several years. I see name brand monitors at work (Dell, Lenovo, HP, ViewSonic, etc.) fail randomly, sometimes in warranty, sometimes out of warranty. The next one I buy will be based on price and features, not brand name.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:34 PM

7,193 posts, read 9,144,306 times
Hell, all electronics are a crap shoot, there is no expected lifespan on any electronic device, they can fail at any time with little to no warning. One common cause of failure is substandard components, capacitors are a common failure point.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:35 PM

15,102 posts, read 9,476,284 times
Bad luck

Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 AM

19,765 posts, read 31,656,940 times
Electrical supply variations and no surge suppressor?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:30 AM

13,067 posts, read 14,744,731 times
Any of the new TV screens today can fail, and it often happens after the warranty expires. They don't last like old TV's did, but along the way we may be lucky and find some good ones. My 3years ago top of the lie Sony flat screen TV blacks out sometimes, and the only way I can get it to work is by manually pressing the power button (the controller won't do anything when it blacks out). Then when I restart it (manually), the TV works fine for months at a time. I always have surge suppressors and all of that, but if the problem is in the TV's electronics a suppressor isn't going to prevent the problem from happening.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:49 AM

783 posts, read 1,291,963 times
White screen? So there's no video, but the backlight works?

Something like that is almost always a power supply problem. And usually, that's because cheap capacitors are used in that power supply. If being in the sunlight had anything at all to do with it, it was minimal and having the monitor near a heating vent in the winter would have been equally bad. This, I am afraid, is the place where you really do get what you pay for... sometimes. Ironically, Apple used Foxconn to make much of its stuff, so in that case you often are paying top dollar for really cheap parts simply because Apple has "the brand." It's really just because something went "poof" and stuff is so cheap to make nowdays none of it ever gets tested before shipment.

If you knew what you were doing you could open it and replace the caps, probably for just a few dollars. But that's really only worth it if you are starving and can't afford to replace it at all. Buying a better name monitor is the way to go, keeping in mind there are plenty of good brands but you won't find ANY of them at Wal-Mart or the like. I personally have been using a 42" Panasonic G10 since the month they were released and I love it, but there are several good monitor brands like Acer (Yes, Acer!), Viewsonic, Panasonic, and NEC. NO WAY should you buy a Dell, Gateway, HP or some such, they are all lowest bid parts.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 PM

4,793 posts, read 8,623,330 times
My Gateway 24" monitors are working fine, and they give a great image. My monitors are 3 and 1 years old. Gateway seems to make good LCD monitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers