U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2010, 10:33 AM
 
5,314 posts, read 5,452,834 times
Reputation: 3580

Advertisements

I'm familiar with HDMI in terms of HD movies in Blu-ray format. However, I just got an HD monitor (because it was cheap), and I'm not really convinced I'll watch movies on it. I'm curious if I will see any improvements in visual quality/performance if I get an HDMI hookup for everyday desktop tasks (e.g. Visio, internet, streaming videos, word, excel, etc.).

Can anyone speak to visual improvements for working with everyday desktop applications on a Windows OS with an HDMI hookup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Reputation: 10244
not likely there will be any noticeable changes, assuming your currently using a DVI cable and not VGA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
 
5,314 posts, read 5,452,834 times
Reputation: 3580
I want to say that the monitor came with a VGA cable, not DVI. I'll have to double-check when I get home. I'm assuming you're saying that I would see a quality increase from VGA > DVI/HDMI.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Reputation: 7514
A GOOD monitor will process the VGA signal well enough that you likely won't see any difference by going to HDMI. A marginal monitor will see some improvement, but its not likely to be night and day.

DVI and HDMI are identical in terms of video signal. Does your computer actually have an HDMI output? You could get a DVI to HDMI cable if your computer lacks HDMI and you want to replace the VGA connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
 
5,314 posts, read 5,452,834 times
Reputation: 3580
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
A GOOD monitor will process the VGA signal well enough that you likely won't see any difference by going to HDMI. A marginal monitor will see some improvement, but its not likely to be night and day.

DVI and HDMI are identical in terms of video signal. Does your computer actually have an HDMI output? You could get a DVI to HDMI cable if your computer lacks HDMI and you want to replace the VGA connection.
It does have an HDMI output. It's a pretty good monitor, but it's not a top-of-the-line model. Here's what I bought (I got it for $140 three days ago):

DELL ST2310 23-inch Full HD Widescreen Monitor : Computer Monitors: Flat Panel LCD Monitor Display | Dell (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8299 - broken link)

It says that the product comes with a DVI and VGA cord in the box, but that's not true, because there was only a single cord. I hooked it up in a wild hurry last night, so I can't remember if they gave me a VGA or DVI, but I want to say it's a VGA (small, blue, silver pins).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:08 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Reputation: 7514
Since that monitor only has HDMI and VGA inputs, there would be no reason for them to supply a DVI cable unless its DVI on one end (for the PC) and HDMI on the other (for the monitor). If your computer really has an HDMI output, you can get a cheap HDMI cable for under $10 online that'll do the job as well as any $50 cable you'll find at retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM
 
5,314 posts, read 5,452,834 times
Reputation: 3580
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Since that monitor only has HDMI and VGA inputs, there would be no reason for them to supply a DVI cable unless its DVI on one end (for the PC) and HDMI on the other (for the monitor). If your computer really has an HDMI output, you can get a cheap HDMI cable for under $10 online that'll do the job as well as any $50 cable you'll find at retail.
Do you think there will be a difference in the quality and/or performance with an HDMI cable over the VGA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,330,137 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Do you think there will be a difference in the quality and/or performance with an HDMI cable over the VGA?
No difference in performance. Maybe some improvement in picture quality but don't expect too much. Can you borrow an HDMI cable from your BluRay player to test it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM
 
5,314 posts, read 5,452,834 times
Reputation: 3580
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
No difference in performance. Maybe some improvement in picture quality but don't expect too much. Can you borrow an HDMI cable from your BluRay player to test it?
I don't have a tv in my house (by choice), so I don't have one...however, I'll order a cheap one online to test it out. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 04:40 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Reputation: 12847
The difference is minimal. Most modern PCs have HDMI out. The biggest benefit is that one cable carries audio and video. But if your monitor doesn't have audio capability, this doesn't matter. The other benefit is no video degredation from the RAMDAC. But modern RAMDAC are so good, that it's degredation is minimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top