U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 PM

9,618 posts, read 11,509,475 times

Advertisements

About a zillion years ago in terms of "new-tech" (2002), for my hard work and inventiveness on the job, I won a new Palm VIIx, the one with the little folding antenna on the side. I never needed it as an electronic date- or phone-book, and didn't really want or need it for contacts or sales stuff, being an engineer and all that.

Now, I'd REALLY like to use it for some other purposes. In particular, there are several companies who offer software for much later PDAs that provide bullet/ballistic calculations. (you know; at such and such a range, so and so altitude, this and that bullet ballistic coefficient, yada-yada muzzle velocity, the bullet drop @ "x" range is "y" inches. Barrett rifles offers such programming in a PDA packaged with their rifles, but in a much later PDA version.

My PDA, though in-the-box new, may be likely be AWFULLY, USELESSLY old tech and incapable of such later-day sophistication, right? But still, it should have some reasonable computing power, right? For such simple algorithms?

Someone told me a few years ago that these PalmVIIx's can run a lot of simple Windows programs (I'm a MAC guy, so this is all new to me).

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 PM

5,137 posts, read 6,382,237 times
Whoever told you that your Palm VIIx could run Windows programs was very much mistaken. That PDA has a relatively slow processor inside that doesn't run Windows and can't be modified to run Windows. There are probably hundreds of programs written for "PalmOS" that would still work.

I have a sleek Palm Vx that I really liked using. I still like it better than my Blackberry for entering information. I was pretty good at entering info with the stylus pen.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,628,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have a sleek Palm Vx that I really liked using. I still like it better than my Blackberry for entering information.
I agree with that statement. I had a Palm Vx, but I never liked it as much as my Palm V. The battery life on that V was just tremendous, especially compared to my new Android smartphone.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:48 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,732,533 times
There's a lot of interesting Palm software out there. Your Palm VIIx sounds quite similar to my Palm m105 ... it's running PalmOS 3.5, probably.

I love the m105 for two reasons: it runs for 30-40 days on a pair of standard AAA batteries, and the display is extremely easy to read in the sun.

There are a number of web sites which still carry a lot of free palm software:

Freeware Palm: the one and only site for downloading freeware files for PalmOS handhelds.

Freeware Palm WebOS apps and games downloads for Pre and Pixi.

PalmGear, your premier source for software for Palm devices

Downloads for mobile - Free mobile software downloads and mobile software reviews - CNET Download.com

Your VIIx may run the later PalmOS programs you're describing depending on the way the program was written. While these little PDAs aren't super fast in some ways, they're more sophisticated than many give them credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or