U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:22 AM

11,760 posts, read 11,319,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinking View Post
why not Uninstall it first and install it again...
Uninstall and reinstall what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM

3,208 posts, read 4,204,925 times
I'm on a different computer now. But on the other (the original) I have been experiencing more trouble. Malwarebytes and Avast have repeatedly stated that the system is clean, Superantimalware keeps saying that adware is the problem. My DOSbox command prompt for an old game I have just blinks and nothing more. I can't turn the computer off without hard-booting it. To automatically turn it off from the start button it has been taking over an hour for it to just "begin" turning off.

Should I just wipe the whole slate clean and just re-install everything? Because I would need to re-install malwarebytes, avast and plenty of others, not to mention restoring my IE memory and documents on the computer.

Any advice?

Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Are you turning off System Restore and rebooting into Safe Mode when you run your scans? If not, do so.

Don't forget to restart Restore Mode if it works.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 AM

You might want to go here Win32/Adware.HotBar | ESET Threat Encyclopedia and check for anything suspicious you find in the Add/Remove Programs list. Adware and Adaware are two entirely different things. The Adware family of products are things you definitely don't want to have on your computer.

After reviewing your earlier posts, I have more thoughts. It sounds like you have toolbars installed in IE. Remove then ALL. Your slow shutdown indicates that some of these things are wrong: too many startup items, low physical memory, temporary files too large, continued infections. There may also be some software installed that is counterproductive, such as those registry cleaners that advertise via web banners, etc.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-27-2010 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Paragraph 2

Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 AM

Another good site to track unwanted startup items:

Sysinfo.org

Old 10-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Are you turning off System Restore and rebooting into Safe Mode when you run your scans? If not, do so.

Don't forget to restart Restore Mode if it works.
Tried it last night, it appeared to work for a short bit. But it didn't I'm still trying to get rid of this thing. It went right back to what it was doing before.

I'm thinking of just wiping the system, would that be a good idea?

Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 PM

OK. The start bar glitched again, and the toolbars have flashed, and now the file bar has turned black, while the google toolbar has turned a hazy look. I feel that part of the problem is, is that recently I have been able to figure out that when I get an error message that the "System 32 svchost.exe has encountered a problem, and would it like me to submit it to microsoft, and after I click 'Don't Send' the desktop and assorted bars flash to it's altered state.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 PM

If you have, or have access to, a Windows CD for your system insert it and set up the PC to boot to it. Run recovery from the command prompt as shown here

Repair XP

and at the C: prompt key in

Chkdsk C: /r/p

and press Enter. It will take a while (Maybe an hour) to run. If there is a corruption in the file svchost.exe (or any other system file) it will detect it and replace it.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
..... last night found 2 malicious files, and the scan this morning gave it a clean bill of health. However, it still pings a "Blocked" message with my avast that shows an IP address, and the computer still twitches and pops up a bit. It keeps saying that there is something with the System32 Host. .....
What do you mean it pings a Blocked message and shows an IP address. What twitches and pops? (My poor old arthritic knees do this sometimes, but not my computers.) Are you saying that an error exists in System32\svchosts.exe?

Quote:
..... cleaned up several rootkits, rogue anti malware, and adware perfectly. ..... the google taskbar and the .....
Quote:
..... Superantimalware keeps saying that adware is the problem. ..... I can't turn the computer off without hard-booting it. To automatically turn it off from the start button it has been taking over an hour for it to just "begin" turning off.

Should I just wipe the whole slate clean and just re-install everything? .....
You have a link to specifically deal with the problem called adware (not to be confused with the malware category called adware). What progress have you made tracking down the slow shutdown? How much memory is in your computer?

You still have a Google taskbar. How many other toolbars do you have installed? Go to Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs. Remove all the toolbars. Several toolbars will be installed automatically with such things as Adobe Reader and Java updates unless you remove the checks from them during the install.

You can wipe it clean if you want, but you won't learn anything about what caused the problem or how to avoid it in the future.

Quote:
Tried it last night, it appeared to work for a short bit. But it didn't I'm still trying to get rid of this thing. It went right back to what it was doing before.

I'm thinking of just wiping the system, would that be a good idea?
We might be able to help solve the problem IF we know what it is. What results did you get when you used Tek's link to study your startup items? Did you find a lot of entries in the Startup tab in msconfig? For example, Adobe Reader and Java will automatically created entries there to check for updates, consuming resources and slowing startup and shutdown times.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What do you mean it pings a Blocked message and shows an IP address. What twitches and pops? (My poor old arthritic knees do this sometimes, but not my computers.) Are you saying that an error exists in System32\svchosts.exe?

The Avast! scanner, it keeps blocking pop ups, and it give off the sign that it did. However, I found out what the problem was.

You have a link to specifically deal with the problem called adware (not to be confused with the malware category called adware). What progress have you made tracking down the slow shutdown? How much memory is in your computer?

I ran an Avast! boot scan last night, it picked up one nasty Rootkit and one pretty bad Trojan buried deep within the Java that I updated, since then the slow shutdowns have stopped.

You still have a Google taskbar. How many other toolbars do you have installed? Go to Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs. Remove all the toolbars. Several toolbars will be installed automatically with such things as Adobe Reader and Java updates unless you remove the checks from them during the install.

The only toolbars I have are the Favorites and Google toolbars.

You can wipe it clean if you want, but you won't learn anything about what caused the problem or how to avoid it in the future.

I didn't wipe it clean, I decided against it, seeing as how I found the problem.

We might be able to help solve the problem IF we know what it is. What results did you get when you used Tek's link to study your startup items? Did you find a lot of entries in the Startup tab in msconfig? For example, Adobe Reader and Java will automatically created entries there to check for updates, consuming resources and slowing startup and shutdown times.
My responses are in Bold, but yes, it was in the startup, but Avast is still giving me "Malicious URL Blocked" messages. Most of the problems have stopped, except for what I just mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers