Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times

Advertisements

The bootscan has failed! It came back, I will try to describe this again.

I keep getting a svchost.exe error, the system asks if I want to send an error report, I hit cancel, the screen flashes where the taskbar and the toolbars turn to a default gray color from it's regular Windows7 format. From there I keep getting popups on google or youtube, where at the same time Avast! is saying that it blocked a Malicious URL through a process through svchost.exe, my sound turns off, all my audio options are fine, but my headphones and speakers spontaniously do not work. I have done two bootscans on Avast, it says the sytem is clean, I have used Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and they say the system is clean. Where it obviously is not. I have no idea what to do because all the anti-malware programs are not helping. And when Avast did find something, the Rootkit and the Trojan last night, it worked perfect for a few hours, now it's back to the same old thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:30 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
The infection keeps coming back AKA re-spawning despite previously being removed, right? How much time did you spend on this so far
(not to mention the frustration)?

You do have the XP CD, right? Keep it handy....it is only a matter of time, the light bulb will eventually come on.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:15 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
The Avast! scanner, it keeps blocking pop ups, and it give off the sign that it did. However, I found out what the problem was.

I ran an Avast! boot scan last night, it picked up one nasty Rootkit and one pretty bad Trojan buried deep within the Java that I updated, since then the slow shutdowns have stopped.

The only toolbars I have are the Favorites and Google toolbars.

I didn't wipe it clean, I decided against it, seeing as how I found the problem.

You obviously still have problems on your PC. What, exactly, do you mean with the first statement above? Avast keeps blocking pop ups? Sign that it did?

It picked up a Rootkit and a Trojan inside Java?

You probably did find problems, but you have not fixed them all.

First, I would uninstall Java and reboot. Then I would boot using a CD created from the file downloaded here Avira AntiVir Rescue System - Download or here AVG - Rescue CD | PC Rescue and Repair Toolkit to clean the hard drive. Rootkits are particularly insidious infections and sometimes very difficult to remove. Using a system like one of these gets your computer running good, effective cleaning software without ever starting Windows.

Then I would download MSE, uninstall Avast (because it does not seem to be the most effective product in YOUR circumstances) and install MSE. The I would download and install Java.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-29-2010 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: I keep thinking. (I'll try to quit.)

Old 10-29-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
The infection keeps coming back AKA re-spawning despite previously being removed, right? How much time did you spend on this so far
(not to mention the frustration)?

You do have the XP CD, right? Keep it handy....it is only a matter of time, the light bulb will eventually come on.
I have spent around five days battling this thing. And I *think* I have the XP CD, I just moved recently, so everything is around and out of place, I try to find it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

You obviously still have problems on your PC. What, exactly, do you mean with the first statement above? Avast keeps blocking pop ups? Sign that it did?

Avast keeps saying it blocked a Malicous URL, I check the URL and it comes from an Advertising site. However when I go to sites like Youtube or Google, it redirects the web page to some Ad site.

It picked up a Rootkit and a Trojan inside Java?

Actually it was an Exploit and a Trojan inside Java, sorry for the mixup.

You probably did find problems, but you have not fixed them all.

First, I would uninstall Java and reboot. Then I would boot using a CD created from the file downloaded here Avira AntiVir Rescue System - Download or here AVG - Rescue CD | PC Rescue and Repair Toolkit to clean the hard drive. Rootkits are particularly insidious infections and sometimes very difficult to remove. Using a system like one of these gets your computer running good, effective cleaning software without ever starting Windows.

Then I would download MSE, uninstall Avast (because it does not seem to be the most effective product in YOUR circumstances) and install MSE. The I would download and install Java.

OK, I will try that.

I will get back to y'all later on it.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM

I have uninstalled Java and ran Avira twice, I have yet to see if the problems continue (though, the page redirects to ad sites continue.) The only things that Avira picked up was SuperAntiSpyware's files, saying they could not be read, because they are encrypted.

That is all I've got.

Edit: No it didn't work. The vertical scroll bar just dissapeared!

Last edited by Desert kid; 10-29-2010 at 09:50 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 03:50 PM

So far, so good. I just downloaded HiJackThis! And it found around 10 very vulnerable programs and ect. So in the end of all of this, there were 3 trojans, 1 exploit, and countless adware. But so far after using HJT it cleans up all the problems.

I'll keep y'all up on what is about.

Edit: Nope, it just happened again, taskbar glitched to oldies Windows 98 looking taskbar look, then flashed back to XP look, my sound is gone.

I don't know what to do.

Avast! failed
Malwarebytes failed
Superantispyware didn't work
Avira didn't work
HijackThis! didn't work.

Last edited by Desert kid; 10-31-2010 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Every time I see this thread in the listing the refrain from this song rolls through my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3pltmw6cmI

Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Every time I see this thread in the listing the refrain from this song rolls through my head...
Hahaha....good one Freek, really not my kind of song but I like how annoyingly slow it is and keeps dragging on without ever getting better....wait, kind of like this thread! Lmao!

How about this 80s song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkDe5...eature=related

Sadly, his problem -possibly fixable- seeing how bad his feedback or attention to following advice, I realized he cannot be helped and that he should have re-imaged this machine days ago!

Desert Kid, here is a tip, whether you follow the instructions of others or not, if you are not able to resolve the issue within an hour or two tops, salvage you data, do a fresh install of Windows and move on. That is the best advice I can give you.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:47 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
I've seen situations where a lack of available memory affects the display. If you hard drive is full, or nearly full, or if you have insufficient system memory, the computer might be shutting down display functions so it can better utilize what available memory it has.

I would check that first before doing a system restore or re-installation of Windows.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:58 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
OP - When you ran all those programs was System Restore On or Off? If it was still running you wasted one Hell of a lot of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers