U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 PM

3,203 posts, read 4,203,277 times

Advertisements

Just today, my computer has had some very strange problems. It is messing with the IE, namely the toolbars, in one case turning them black in shade. Right now as I am typing this it has just changed the start button and desktop bar with the clock into a tannish color, looking almost like a classic Windows setup, even though this is an XP with IE8, the bar is naturally with the start button being green and the rest blue or white. I have run Avast and Malwarebytes, Avast says it has deleted two Trojans, Malwarebytes has found nothing, both are updated to their current versions, I have booted twice already and it is still doing this.

Anybody have any idea what is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 11:57 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,801,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Just today, my computer has had some very strange problems. It is messing with the IE, namely the toolbars, in one case turning them black in shade. Right now as I am typing this it has just changed the start button and desktop bar with the clock into a tannish color, looking almost like a classic Windows setup, even though this is an XP with IE8, the bar is naturally with the start button being green and the rest blue or white. I have run Avast and Malwarebytes, Avast says it has deleted two Trojans, Malwarebytes has found nothing, both are updated to their current versions, I have booted twice already and it is still doing this.

Anybody have any idea what is going on?
How old is your monitor? Maybe it is starting to go.

Try restoring your system and see if that helps.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
I don't believe it is monitor related according to the info you had given.

What is running in the background, process and service wise?
If it was fine before (meaning this is not a new installation and you have not made any hardware/device driver types changes) then chances are there is a file system or driver corruption which might have been caused by the malware infection. Even if your system is still not infected, the collateral damage during disinfection could have easily caused this type of odd outcome.

Try updating your video card drivers to see if it helped. If driver update doesn't help and it continues to occur or get worse and there is no malware infection, you might have to do a fresh installation (but a repair from the installation CD or -no format- re-install might help too), of course this based on the assumption that the video card itself it not defective (which typically doesn't go bad out of blue).

Verify that your system is not infected any more!

Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

If it was fine before (meaning this is not a new installation and you have not made any hardware/device driver types changes) then chances are there is a file system or driver corruption which might have been caused by the malware infection. Even if your system is still not infected, the collateral damage during disinfection could have easily caused this type of odd outcome.

Try updating your video card drivers to see if it helped. If driver update doesn't help and it continues to occur or get worse and there is no malware infection, you might have to do a fresh installation (but a repair from the installation CD or -no format- re-install might help too), of course this based on the assumption that the video card itself it not defective (which typically doesn't go bad out of blue).

1. Video update first

2. These doing the repair first.

If that doesn't work a reinstall. Simply put: I agree with TurcoLoco

Old 10-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

The monitor is fine, I have run Avast and Malwarebytes again last night and this morning, last night found 2 malicious files, and the scan this morning gave it a clean bill of health. However, it still pings a "Blocked" message with my avast that shows an IP address, and the computer still twitches and pops up a bit. It keeps saying that there is something with the System32 Host. There is nothing wrong with any updates, the virus scanners are up to date, and I am running IE8.

It is like it's saying that it doesn't have any viruses, but constantly acts like it does.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:14 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Others here use and recommend Superantispyware. You might try it.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 PM

Okay, everything has been good over the last few hours. The virus, I found out, is enacted whenever the Java is not updated, the second I updated it and scanned. It dissappeared, I'm not 100% on it, so I'll keep tabs.

Nevermind, it's still causing problems.

Last edited by Desert kid; 10-24-2010 at 07:27 PM..

Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 PM

I have downloaded SuperAntispyware, it has worked fine. It cleaned up several rootkits, rogue anti malware, and adware perfectly. But the problem is, the google taskbar and the file-edit etc toolbar above it still flashes to a black color. And every now and then, the startbutton/icon bar down at the bottom flashes to an brown and black format, looking like a classic XP setup. What exactly is doing this?

Old 10-25-2010, 01:24 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I have downloaded SuperAntispyware, it has worked fine. It cleaned up several rootkits, rogue anti malware, and adware perfectly. But the problem is, the google taskbar and the file-edit etc toolbar above it still flashes to a black color. And every now and then, the startbutton/icon bar down at the bottom flashes to an brown and black format, looking like a classic XP setup. What exactly is doing this?
Again, either your system is not 100% clean and whatever is left is able to visually effect the system as you are seeing. One other possibility was that the threat was gone but during the disinfection process the collateral damage caused the current issues, however after reading your posts, I am leaning towards system still being infected.

The automated programs that you used so far seem to causing some damage to this pesky beasts but it is able to re-spawn itself and remain active. It is likely a very powerful Trojan or Rootkit, my educated suggestion would be to give it a one more -better planned and executed- removal shot and if it failed, do a fresh install.

2 more automated scanners you might want to try would be MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scanner, both are free. I personally prefer running various scanners to diagnose/analyze the infected system before running a single program that automatically scans and removes, that way you know what you are infected with and using this info, you would be able search to find a specialized removal tool(s) that typically fair better against some of the peskier infections. If you feel confident enough I could give you the names of a few of them you could download and use.

If none of the automated programs helped, here is the link to an online sticky a friend created, if you want to put in the effort to clean up your system, this would be a good path. After running those steps, you could attach your logs here so those skilled on this subject could review them and give you further assistance.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2010, 01:33 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,170,122 times
why not Uninstall it first and install it again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers