U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 AM

212 posts, read 941,745 times

Advertisements

HP HDX 16t-1200 with Windows 7 64.

I've had my laptop a little over a year an been having some issues with the keyboard. The letters g,h,b,n will delete an entire sentence if i hit them

I've tried loading the laptop in Windows 7 and Ubuntu and it does the exact same thing.
I've tried using On Screen Keyboard and issue does not occur in windows 7. Just when I use the laptops keys themselves and type those 4 letters. If I type all other letters it operates as normal. Just g, h, b, n cause the cursor to delete everything that is typed on the screen. The delete button appears to work fine if I press it twice.
Tried to remove battery and hold power key for 1 minute, did not fix issue
I am starting to think its a hardware issue with my keyboard

has any one had this issue? any tips, thinking its either hardware issue or I have some weird function lock on the keyboard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 07:52 AM

520 posts, read 895,276 times
I'm just tossing out a few ideas... I'm certainly not a PC expert so take it for what it is worth.

First thing I wondered is if you have some disability setting or other setting turned on? I believe those are under control panel somewhere.

Other thought was if you might have a shortcut key programmed somehow? I know how to add them to desktop icons but not for specific functions like delete a line, but it probably is possible.

Have you tried an external keyboard w/the laptop? Does it do the same thing? If so then I'd guess some setting or shortcut. If not then you are probably right that it is a hardware issue w/the laptop's keyboard.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 AM

I'll check those out when I get home. But what is weird is that the issue occurs in 2 operating systems. They should be independent of each others settings. I.E. If I have windows 7 disability on like you stated this issue should not occur when reloading and booting into Ubuntu (Which is linux based)
I am not sure if functions would carry over OS also, doubt it.

Haven't tried an external keyboard but did try the On Screen Keyboard built into Windows and there are no issues when I use that, just the laptops keys.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:54 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,374,529 times
Is there any purple or other color writing on those keys besides the regular g,h,b,n? I know on my netbook if you hit fn+something you can put the keyboard into some alternative mode where some of the keys function as a keypad instead of their normal letters. It could be something like that and it would be independent of the OS. Check to see if there are any strange indicator lights on on the keyboard, like where the caps lock would be indicated.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM

Yep no lights or different colors just black letters for the 4 keys
Sample image
Looks like its from another country, mine just has letters

Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 AM

1,422 posts, read 4,717,186 times
How about calling HP customer support? I had a similar problem with a Dell and they put me through many paces via phone and then determined it was a hardware problem.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 AM

I did my laptop happens to be 2 weeks out HP warranty
I have square trade warranty so I may act on that now.
I am going to try a few things when I get home and see if it works otherwise I assume its hardware related.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 AM

569 posts, read 1,795,136 times
This would be the forum to ask about where to take it locally, but not the best place to come for technical advice. You should try one of the user support forums on the HP web site.

That said, I don't know of any standardized command that would "delete an entire sentence " irregardless of operating system or program. You would need to describe more accurately exactly what it does. Most likely not a keyboard problem at all but probably just pressure in the center of the keyboard causing a problem. My guess would be the infamous GPU problem which shows up on a lot of laptops. Pressure in the center of the keyboard causes the main board to flex which aggrevates a bad solder connection to the GPU chip. This can cause all kinds of strange display problems.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:42 PM

102 posts, read 185,581 times
i'm sort of an expert, been in the IT field for over 10 yrs...sounds like a hardware issue as described above...

try an external keyboard and see what happens, generally speaking if it still doesn't work it's software...if it works, hardware...maybe at that point try replacing the internal keyboard, but that may not fix the "pressure" issue...the way to figure out any computer problem is to eliminate the variables...good luck

Old 10-25-2010, 02:51 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,329,995 times
1 yr warranty on a laptop is not good. When buying a laptop you should get the longest warranty because laptops break down a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers