U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 08:38 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,329,995 times

Advertisements

Do people get in trouble /sued / arrested for torrenting software?

I heard many examples of people getting sued by the RIAA for torrenting MP3s and music. But I have never heard of people getting in trouble for torrenting software.

How about pdf books too? I never heard of anyone getting in trouble for torrenting pdf books.

Most I ever heard was when the regulators sued or jailed ThePiratebay founders. And they regulated Mininova.org so you can't get nice torrents from this site anymore.

Some things deserve to be torrented! I just bought Wings of Prey PC video game, and then I found out I could only install it 3 times! My OS got messed up and I had to do a system restore so I lost 1 install of Wings of Prey! So now I'm resorting to a cracked torrented version of Wings of Prey because of it's stupid licensing! I wish I never bought the game!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 PM

40,258 posts, read 41,823,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I heard many examples of people getting sued by the RIAA for torrenting MP3s and music. But I have never heard of people getting in trouble for torrenting software.
It's a civil offense and as such requires the copyright owner to take action. The RIAA and MPAA are very active in trying to protect their content.

Quote:
Most I ever heard was when the regulators sued or jailed ThePiratebay founders.
The Pirate Bat was in another country, Sweden I think? They would be subject to the laws there which is why they were able to get away with it so long.

As far as the US INAL but you would need to cross the line from sharing files to distributing them. People have been arrested for it but AFAIK these were large scale operations.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:48 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,206,426 times
Torrents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol) are used for a lot of things. It is in no way in-itself illegal.

Now sites that advertise certain files could be considered illegal under certain jurisdictions.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 AM

783 posts, read 1,965,705 times
If you are using torrents you ARE sharing them. It's how torrents work.

I've been using torrents since there weer torrents and never had a problem. Some friends have told me they got warnings for running torrents on stuff like 300 when it was still in theaters, but I don't torrent first run films nor current pop music. I also don't torrent commercial software as I use linux and have no need (or use) for it.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:52 AM

11,733 posts, read 11,311,179 times
The Software Publishers Association (SPA) and the Business Software Alliance (BSA) are both active at tracking down pirated software. I would assume that suing an individual over one copyright violation would not be nearly as effective as going after business enterprise violations.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
My internet access went down this morning.

I called the phone company and went through their process. The first tech was not able to find what the problem was. The second tech did. Our modem's serial number was turned off. Universal Studios had tracked a bit-torrent download to my IP and had gotten my modem's serial number. The phone company had remotely turned my modem off.

They were not going to notify me, they had not bothered to see the name of who had that modem.

Now my modem is turned back on. But I have been given a warning.

He said that with a second report from Universal studios, I would be black-listed by the phone company, and no longer able to have internet access.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,035,695 times
Just a FYI, pirate bay moves their servers from country to country or atleast they use to.

anyways most people wont get in trouble for downloading torrents. Its like the drug war. There are so many drug dealers and only so many police to catch them.

Most of the time your internet company does not care what you do unless a complaint is filed by a company(like above universal) then they will normally give you 3 strikes before they kill your internet for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or