U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:18 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Very correct. It may be big and cheap, but it has no performance.

I just picked up a 1TB drive 7,200 RPM drive w/ 64MB buffer and SATA3 for $99 for a new build. It may have half the storage, but it has WAY more performance.

I still can't get into the SSD's though. I almost bought one to use as a boot/OS drive on a new build, but just couldn't justify the price. The cheapest I saw was a 64GB SATA3 drive for $139.99.
My primary drive (a 7200 250GB) started failing on my the past month, so I ended up purchasing a 300GB Velociraptor to replace it. So far, I'm happy with it, but I'm not sure it was worth the $180 Price tag. I would have probably seen better results on an SSD, but I don't get the same capacity for that cost.

Still recommend putting the OS on a separate drive all together than data storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,567,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
My primary drive (a 7200 250GB) started failing on my the past month, so I ended up purchasing a 300GB Velociraptor to replace it. So far, I'm happy with it, but I'm not sure it was worth the $180 Price tag. I would have probably seen better results on an SSD, but I don't get the same capacity for that cost.

Still recommend putting the OS on a separate drive all together than data storage.
I hear you on the Velociraptor vs. SSD. Capacity vs. performance is always a tough call.

I have a seperate SATA2 drive that I'm using for data storage. Only 500GB, but it does what I need it to. I needed to save some money on the new build, but am thinking in the next 6 months or so of picking up a SSD to use as the boot/OS only drive and then grabbing a second identical 1TB drive and run that in RAID for data strorage.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,487,531 times
Quote:
am thinking in the next 6 months or so of picking up a SSD to use as the boot/OS only drive and then grabbing a second identical 1TB drive and run that in RAID for data strorage.
That's what I did when I rebuilt my HTPC recently. I used a 64gb Kingston SSD for the O/S, and 2 x 2tb drives mirrored with a 3Wire RAID card for media (TV, movies, music, videos, etc.).

It's the first SSD drive I've used, and I'm VERY impressed with the performance so far. Since I'm not using it as a desktop machine, I don't have a real sense of how well it compares in that context, though. Despite that, I'm a SSD fan. I used a 512mb CF card as a boot disk on a linux box once about a year ago, and even that was very fast compared to a standard HD. My next desktop build will almost certainly have a SSD, even if only for the O/S.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:20 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Quote:
Very correct. It may be big and cheap, but it has no performance.

I just picked up a 1TB drive 7,200 RPM drive w/ 64MB buffer and SATA3 for $99 for a new build. It may have half the storage, but it has WAY more performance.

I still can't get into the SSD's though. I almost bought one to use as a boot/OS drive on a new build, but just couldn't justify the price. The cheapest I saw was a 64GB SATA3 drive for $139.99.
Which drive did you pick up?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:40 AM

An update on the price: $79.99

Use the $20 coupon EMCZYNW48 (Valid until 10AM or stock runs out) to get it for $59.99. Enjoy.

This is the cheapest I have seen for the 2TB F4.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:16 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,220 times
I never needed or cared for TB drives. My current rig has 2x 150GB Raptors and it is adequate for my needs.

I have been using 2x Raptors in RAID-0 configuration for the last 2 gaming rigs I built. First one had the 74GB Raptors, the last one has 150GB ones.
Even though I don't game anywhere near as much, I am still partial to the performance of this configuration and thinking about doing the next on the next PC but I've heard really good feedback on the latest SSDs.

Which SSDs (under $200) any of you had experience with and recommend?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 PM

I use the Patriot Torqx SSD series. You might be able to get a 64 gb for under $200.

I need large drives for for storing photos and home video. My parents have footage going back 50 years that we're digitizing. Video takes up a lot of space unfortunately.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 AM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I use the Patriot Torqx SSD series. You might be able to get a 64 gb for under $200.

I need large drives for for storing photos and home video. My parents have footage going back 50 years that we're digitizing. Video takes up a lot of space unfortunately.
You are the typical target of this thread. I also digitize tons of family info and need large drives. I am more concerned about the amount of storage and backups than speed for that computer.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:41 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Thank for the tip. Yeah, I would not consider using a SSD drive for storage of multimedia files that consumes a lot of space. I would stick with regular HDs, you just can't beat the cost per gigabyte. I will probably have to continue checking the prices and hope they drop a bit more. 64GB would be barely enough and for the money, the performance gain would probably not justifiable.

I buy the internal components like CPU, Mobo and HD at the end since their prices are typically more volatile.
There is a computer swamp meet here in OC at the end of November, I saw a Antec 900 case for $35 (No PSU of course) which to me seemed like a great deal. I will probably get that and then pop in my current 1KW Thermaltake PSU and go from there...

Either a new PC or a new 'project' motorcycle to work on.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,661,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
There is a computer swamp meet here in OC at the end of November ...
Ah, the ACP swap meet ... aka the computer junkyard nowadays.

Events & Shows - November 28th - ACP Electronics Swap Meet - Santa Ana, Ca (http://www.wiredco.com/news/index.php?blog=2&title=may_27th_hyperactive_acp_co mputer_swap_m&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 - broken link)

New stuff pricing ... meh. You can usually get the same deal or better online; sometimes even in retail stores.

Stuff within the past two years ... blah. I just don't see any good deals for this sort of stuff.

Stuff older than that, or if you feel adventurous enough to dig through all the piles of customer-returned crap ... this is your place. I usually make a habit to swing by the Goodwill Computer Works in Santa Ana afterwards too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers