U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 AM

26,345 posts, read 83,900,978 times

Advertisements

I have two Garmin automobile GPS units, Nuvi 265WT and Nuvi 1690.
They can interface to my laptops for things like updates and to save favorites from the laptop to the GPS.
Is it possible to for the laptop to access the GPS real time such that if I was a passenger in moving car holding my laptop I could having a moving map on my laptop from the GPS data? Ideally, have a moving icon on a google map type background. In other words, can the GPS real time data be made available to the laptop and is there software for the laptop to process it to produce my desired display?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:53 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,488,428 times
Not sure about the Nuvi models, but with most GPSrs it's certainly possible to do that. I have a Nuvi, but I've never tried to use it like that. When I want to use one just as a receiver and not for routing/mapping, I use either my GPSMap 60c, eTrex Legend or sometimes a little Bluetooth GPS with no display that I picked up a while back for testing some BT stuff.

All that being said, you should be able to do what you want with that unit. It should have come with a MapSource CD, which will have some basic functionality. You should also be able to use Microsoft Streets & Trips or MapPoint, and maybe mapping software from other vendors, such as Delorme or Rand McNally. Check the specs & system requirements for whatever software you want to try.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:32 PM

5,370 posts, read 11,275,577 times
Try Garmin *NROUTE*. (Free)
Not sure if it will work with your unit, but worth a try.
It is free to download.
It was replaced by Garmin Mobile I think, but that required a fee.

Start here first
http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/nroute/nroute.html
Then download from their link.
Index of /perry/nroute

HTH

Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,493,846 times
If you don't mind spending some money, it would be easier to just buy a USB GPS sensor and mapping software and maps that run on your laptop. Software, maps, and sensor bundles cost between $60-80 and are available from Garmin and Microsoft.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,900,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
If you don't mind spending some money...

You don't know me very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers