Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What browser do you most often use on your PC?
Internet Explorer 22 20.18%
Firefox 3.x 24 22.02%
Firefox 4.x 17 15.60%
Chrome 26 23.85%
Opera 2 1.83%
Safari 9 8.26%
Netscape Navigator 0 0%
Other 9 8.26%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:07 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
...PS. Is it just my systems or does IE 8x-9x really create 2 iexplorer.exe processes when it is running?
There are also 2 iexplorer.exe processes running on my computer (IE9beta).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 02:39 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
There are also 2 iexplorer.exe processes running on my computer (IE9beta).
Welcome to the wonderful world of tabbed IE! lol
First process is for the browser, second one for the tabs, all consecutive opened tabs piggy-backs on the first one and then boom, there will be more iexplorer.exe process as you open more tabs and memory usage starts climbing up like crazy. Even after closing all tabs, none of the new iexplorer.exe processes disappeared!
They remain until you close the main window. Genius design, really.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
My alternative browsers are Browzar which runs on IE engine but more secure and privacy concerned people who still use IE may like the fact that upon closing this standalone (no-install) program, it immediately deletes all browser cache, cookies, etc.
Why on earth would you develop a browser that has no "FAVORITES" or bookmark feature? That is incredibly stupid. Sorry, youir Browzar has a nice interface, but I don't feel like writing down all my favorites in a notebook. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Why on earth would you develop a browser that has no "FAVORITES" or bookmark feature? That is incredibly stupid. Sorry, youir Browzar has a nice interface, but I don't feel like writing down all my favorites in a notebook. LOL

20yrsinBranson
I am certainly a power user (if not more) of the web, and I actually don't use bookmarks or favorites at all on any browser. I tried to use bookmarks before but ended up with a mess of thousands of bookmarks for every little thing I thought was cool

Nowadays, I just remember anything I think is cool. I literally have thousands of URLs memorized. I'm sure I forget a lot of stuff, but those are the ones that I never revisit anyways.

If a site is really really important, I'll save it in One Note but it is very rare.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:30 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Branson, I thought you would be a bit more intuitive than this.
This browser is a standalone application that was meant for privacy freaks. If you want favorites and customization, that means leaving traces/files behind, it would defeat the purpose.

However, if Favorites is all you want/need, then here is a sweet scenario for ya:

I use Firefox mostly so my FF Favorites/Bookmarks is the most current. I back them up in the form of exporting them to an .html file. I save a copy on my trusty USB Flash drive along with a copy of USB SafeGuard (or whatever drive encryption tool that you fancy) and Browzar.

This is an encrypted USB stick so fairly safe if you lose it or if it got snatched. Browzar is on the drive as well and it is standalone, you also have you copy of bookmarks.html file. now, fire up Browzar, then File > Open and browse to the Bookmarks.html file on your Flash drive and boom:

Old 10-30-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I am certainly a power user (if not more) of the web, and I actually don't use bookmarks or favorites at all on any browser. I tried to use bookmarks before but ended up with a mess of thousands of bookmarks for every little thing I thought was cool

Nowadays, I just remember anything I think is cool. I literally have thousands of URLs memorized. I'm sure I forget a lot of stuff, but those are the ones that I never revisit anyways.

If a site is really really important, I'll save it in One Note but it is very rare.
Well NJBest, honey, when you get to be my age, you can't remember if you are going UP the stairs or DOWN the stairs, the concept of remembering URLs is pretty moot, if you get my drift.

I like the one note idea though.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Branson, I thought you would be a bit more intuitive than this.
This browser is a standalone application that was meant for privacy freaks. If you want favorites and customization, that means leaving traces/files behind, it would defeat the purpose.

However, if Favorites is all you want/need, then here is a sweet scenario for ya:

I use Firefox mostly so my FF Favorites/Bookmarks is the most current. I back them up in the form of exporting them to an .html file. I save a copy on my trusty USB Flash drive along with a copy of USB SafeGuard (or whatever drive encryption tool that you fancy) and Browzar.

This is an encrypted USB stick so fairly safe if you lose it or if it got snatched. Browzar is on the drive as well and it is standalone, you also have you copy of bookmarks.html file. now, fire up Browzar, then File > Open and browse to the Bookmarks.html file on your Flash drive and boom:

Well goodness. I had no idea. Thanks for this information. I detest having to use IE or Chrome because that's where the bookmarks are. LOL I will give this a whirl. Thank you VERY much for the info.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-31-2010, 11:53 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of tabbed IE! lol
First process is for the browser, second one for the tabs, all consecutive opened tabs piggy-backs on the first one and then boom, there will be more iexplorer.exe process as you open more tabs and memory usage starts climbing up like crazy. Even after closing all tabs, none of the new iexplorer.exe processes disappeared!
They remain until you close the main window. Genius design, really.
My processes close as you close tabs. Firefox only has one process, but it is larger than the "initial" 2 processes of IE9. If you think IE8/9 is a memory hog, check out Google Chrome. It starts with "5" processes and increased by one for a new tab, but didn't increase for subsequent tabs.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 AM

137 posts, read 312,096 times
IE 8 and FF4.x

Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Primarily Firefox because of the add-ons, security and cross os support.

However, also IE (for Sharepoint ) at work. Chrome and Safari sometimes too. I find Safari to be the fastest and most stable for streaming music and video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers