U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What browser do you most often use on your PC?
Internet Explorer 18 17.14%
Firefox 3.x 24 22.86%
Firefox 4.x 17 16.19%
Chrome 26 24.76%
Opera 2 1.90%
Safari 9 8.57%
Netscape Navigator 0 0%
Other 9 8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,580,100 times

Advertisements

Just for fun: Which one?

Personally, I use FF 3. The interface is just right (not the crappy, minimalistic interface of Chrome or FF 4), and it usually works fine for me. I was actually an early adopter of Firefox, switching to it from IE when it was still called "Firebird", mainly for the tabbed browsing capability (important on the dial-up connection I suffered with at the time, as well as satellite connections) and the fact that I was mostly using Linux at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,343,249 times
Most often - Firefox 3.6.x

But I also use Chrome and IE8.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:26 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,678,834 times
I'm a Safari user.... on an iMac (only a PC was used in the poll, but I think "computer" was meant....).

PS...I'm planning to get Camino as a back-up browser, but it's hardly needed, actually. Safari is awesome, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
I'm forced to use IE for my business (we access a number of government websites that require it), but I primarily use Firefox - even for most of those sites, via IE Tab Plus.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,747,082 times
I have IE6 on here but i use MyIE2 for browsing (It uses the IE engine (Sometimes i use IE6 directly))

Old 10-29-2010, 08:21 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,926,729 times
Firefox because of adblock plus and how easy it is to use "right click" for opening tabs. IE may have caught up by now but earlier FF seemed to have this functionality either earlier or better.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,058,977 times
I have Safari and Firefox running all the time. Chrome occasionally (on my MacBook, doesn't run on my old G5). I never understand why people choose one or the other. I use as many as possible.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,058,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Firefox because of adblock plus and how easy it is to use "right click" for opening tabs. IE may have caught up by now but earlier FF seemed to have this functionality either earlier or better.
Yeah, I'm not really a big fan of Firefox, but Adblock Plus and NoScript sure make it worth while. That combination can make even the most worthless bloated sites look pretty damn good. Some sites, I wouldn't even think of going to with out it.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,801,218 times
Lately I have been using Chrome more, just because it is convenient. I like Firefox, but I am always having to download this plugin, or that plugin, just to make the stupid thing work. It gets annoying.

I don't like IE because *every* time I have gotten infected with Antivirus malware, it has been on IE. So I try to avoid using it if I can. Some websites simply will not work properly without it, however.

I don't like Opera, even though I will use it once in a while. It is faster, but often things look incredibly weird.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Lately I have been using Chrome more, just because it is convenient. I like Firefox, but I am always having to download this plugin, or that plugin, just to make the stupid thing work. It gets annoying.

I don't like IE because *every* time I have gotten infected with Antivirus malware, it has been on IE. So I try to avoid using it if I can. Some websites simply will not work properly without it, however.

I don't like Opera, even though I will use it once in a while. It is faster, but often things look incredibly weird.

20yrsinBranson
I agree with you on IE and Opera but I also dislike the interface and lack of customization and options on Chrome as well so I don't use it either, not to mention the fact that it sneaky in a startup entry in the registry for some "update" process. Hate programs that create those entries especially when it doesn't need to be updated that often and when you do not know how often they check!
Firefox may not be the fastest but I like its interface, customization options and overall reliable functionality.
Yes, its plug-in updates gets a bit annoying sometimes but that also depends on how many you have installed and how often they are updated because of their own bugs, additional features or simply because FF was updated.
My alternative browsers are Browzar which runs on IE engine but more secure and privacy concerned people who still use IE may like the fact that upon closing this standalone (no-install) program, it immediately deletes all browser cache, cookies, etc.
And a completely different one is Apple's Safari which was based on Mozilla engine if I am not mistaken. It is decent in speed and quite functional.
Opera is slightly faster than the FF and Safari but I just cannot get passed the interface and overall functionality.

PS. Is it just my systems or does IE 8x-9x really create 2 iexplorer.exe processes when it is running?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers