Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,191,580 times

Advertisements

I used the O&O's OPTIMIZE/Complete feature to defrag my computer,but now it seems that the degree of fragmentation is higher (62 %) than than the way it used to be (7%).

What have I done wrong? and, what should I do to get my computer's fragmentation level back to normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 02:28 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
You cannot adjust the 'fragmentation' level of your hard drive. Typically a user runs a program to defragment their hard drive (partition) to speed up their application/file system performance.

O7O is a decent program but I am not sure what you have done or what happened. Imho, the best free defragmentation tool available for Windows (any version) has been AUSLogics DiskDefragment and I have used with very positive results. The current version has many cool features, still very fast and efficient.

This is my suggestion for an efficient disk defragmentation routine:
1. First things first, if you need to uninstall any applications, delete and files, folders or even user profiles, this is the time to do it! Run ATF-Cleaner or CCleaner or whichever programs tickles your funny-bone and get the job done.
2. Install the program (if you are going to use the one I suggested), copy program folder (C:\Program Files\Auslogics\Auslogics Disk Defrag) to a fast USB Flash stick, External HD or Network drive (if applicable)
3. Uninstall program, yes remove it from your system (not the folder you copied to the other drive!)
4. Disable virtual memory aka pagefile (Start > Run > sysdm.cpl ,3 > OK > (Performance) Settings... > Advanced (tab) > Change > "No paging file" > Set)
5. Schedule a Scandisk to run on next boot up (open My Computer > Right-click on C (or whichever drive needed defragging) > Properties > Tools (tab) > (Error-checking) Check now...) For system partition, it will inform you that it can't be done as it is in use, so click YES to schedule it for next reboot which is what you want anyhow)

Note: You normally only need to check the top option unless you suspect your Hard Drive to be developing bad sectors (commonly due to aging), then check the bottom option as well but it will consume a lot more time!
Hint: BSoDs, random application errors or operating system crashes along with significantly slow performance is typically either due to malware infection or bad sectors forming on the hard drive.

6. Reboot your computer and let Scandisk do its thang.
7. When Scandisk completes its process, it naturally restarts the PC again at that point either intervene and force the system to boot in Safe Mode or let is boot normal and do the following:
~ Disable/turn off ScreenSaver (if applicable)
~ Disable/turn off any AV scanner (if applicable)
~ Disable/turn off any IDS\Firewall\Network security utility (if applicable)

When done, run the Defragmentation program, preferably from another drive (hence moving the program folder to an external drive as mentioned above), that way the program will be able to do its work most efficiently.

Tips: Before actually starting the fragmentation process, I would recommend making certain configuration changes within AUSLogics DiskDefrag:
- Open the program
- Browse to Settings > Program Settings...
- Click on Algorithms tab
- Check the 3 unchecked options without changing anything else.

Now click on the arrow to the right on Defrag button and select:
Defrag & Optimize (slower use once a week)

If your name is George and you are also curious, you could run the 'Analyze' option first.
Once the defragmentation is done, do not forget to re-enable the virtual memory (pagefile)!
Re-enabling virtual memory doesn't take effect until you reboot your system so you could re-enable it before or after running the program, it won't matter.
If I am not going to be around then I use the 'Shutdown' option within the program, so when it is done it automatically shuts the system down.

PS: The only time I would advice against using this program or any defragmentation tool (from personal experience) is when you have an encryption program installed that has encrypted the entire disk (such as Pointsec/EncryptionPlus or Safeboot. It may or may not create problems, it is a crab shoot so better to be safer and not use one.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:12 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
I use WINDOWS DEFRAG program to defrag mine.........

I once heard WinME defrag program would work on 98se and it was FASTER so I tried it.... It WAS faster but it missed alot of stuff and put my computer under alot of UN-NEEDED LOAD!! (The 98se defrag program IS MUCH BETTER)

I put my 98se program back in place (Which I think is the same one that was on 95) ....... I WOULD RATHER HAVE GOOD DEFRAGGING over FASTER defragging!

Old 08-05-2016, 11:29 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
Why did you defrag? What OS do you run? How full is your HD?

Old 08-05-2016, 12:31 PM

55 posts, read 70,825 times
what....this is a 2010 post !! LOL

Old 08-05-2016, 01:44 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
(The 98se defrag program IS MUCH BETTER)
Of course, because nothing any good was ever released after that.

Seriously, Dude, why are you not on Linux at least?

Old 08-05-2016, 02:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
A Linux variant with Wine would run a lot of older Win32 software.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:10 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladosa View Post
what....this is a 2010 post !! LOL
One of Dude111's hobbies, bring back ancient threads.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:16 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Seriously, Dude, why are you not on Linux at least?
Well I dont like Linux buddy..... Its harder to understand,etc......

Win98se is user friendly,not dumbed down and a fine os

Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Have you tried Linux? I think not. It certainly is NOT harder then 98SE. Seriously.
You are a perfect Linux candidate. You can eb up to date and using modern software. Imagine that?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers