U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,571,363 times

Advertisements

I'm a part time fedora user.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM

102 posts, read 150,746 times
njguy,

I know I can, but for me it's principle, I guess. Gnome, while bloated, is a nice dev environment. When I do any kind of web development, I like to do it inside of Gnome.

outbacknv,

Cool, It's nice to see alot of folks using Linux. I used to dual boot, but I went straight Linux since I have no further use for Windows. Do you game on the Windows partition?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,483,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwestern View Post
njguy,

I know I can, but for me it's principle, I guess. Gnome, while bloated, is a nice dev environment. When I do any kind of web development, I like to do it inside of Gnome.

outbacknv,

Cool, It's nice to see alot of folks using Linux. I used to dual boot, but I went straight Linux since I have no further use for Windows. Do you game on the Windows partition?
Nope, no gaming. I ran straight Linux for several years but stuck Windows back in as it seemed to work and play better with a photo hosting site I was using.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
I'm a part time fedora user.
Same here, part-time or occasional. Over the years I checked out Suse 8, Mandrake 6, eLinux 2000, Fedora Core 5 & up and recently Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu (all these Linux distros making me dizzy already).

I like Fedore Core the best overall but I cannot seem to make the transition to Linux just yet due to my gaming addiction and a few Windows apps I am too used to.

Can't say I ever used BSD (what is with the * before it anyway?).

Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 PM

783 posts, read 1,965,069 times
What is "bloated?" My desktop works just fine and has for years. The last time I used windows on my home pc there was still a WTC standing in NY. I have a VM but I almost never fire it up. Using windows feels to me like trying to drive a car by remote control. Started with Mandrake but left behind RPM hell first time I tried ubuntu 4.10.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:11 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,534,746 times
I'm another Linux user. I've tried numerous distributions over the years (starting with SuSE 5.2 and Mandrake 6.1, if I remember correctly), but have run mostly Mandriva (and KDE) in the last couple of years. I tried Ubuntu a couple of times, and didn't really feel at home with it. Recently, I tried Linux Mint 9 (Gnome desktop), and I've been using it pretty much daily since I installed it. The look and feel is what I expect, and it's worked nearly flawlessly for me, except for the occasional lockup. I think I'll stick with it until something else I like better comes along.

About the only reasons I have to use my WinXP machine is for playing games and doing TurboTax. I haven't really tried very much to make those apps work in Linux, especially since I still have a WinXP machine that (usually) works for me.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:38 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,732,496 times
Quote:
Just curious as to how many people here use Linux or *BSD.
Started with SLS and the 0.99 kernel, moved to Slackware, Red Hat, Mandrake, and now play with several including Puppy, DSL, Ubuntu, CentOS, Austrumi, and Slackware (again!). I think my fave is Puppy, tho.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 PM

Good to see so many *nix users in here.

TurcoLoco, the star is just a wildcard that refers to "all" or "everything". In this case all the flavors of BSD, of which the chief ones are FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. There are others as well, like DragonflyBSD.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 PM

rcsteiner,

I distro hop as well. I don't really have a favorite distro. For the desktop I prefer Linux and for servers usually BSD.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,203,851 times
Quote:
harhar,

Did you hear that Ubuntu is dropping Gnome in favor of Unity desktop environment with their next release? That kind of irks me, because Ubuntu is my fallback distro -- the one I always go back to when I'm bored of trying other distros. I'm not really that fond of Unity desktop. It's meant for netbooks not larger screens. I tried it the other day on Ubuntu and it just felt off.

I just read the story. I haven't used Unity, I think I'll try it out today. But really, like others have stated, you can revert back to Gnome and since I primarily use it for kiosk use Unity might end up being better/ more general user friendly.

Also I've always changed the look under Gnome to where the original desktop was no longer recognizable anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers