U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 AM

783 posts, read 1,966,423 times

Advertisements

I had a friend in LA who had a Vax in his living room. He was an audiophile and delighted in the ability he had given his VAX to play music through his very nice home speakers. He had been an admin of something and was in the process of moving to the Philippinnes - I have no idea why.

I never owned a mainframe, never wanted to. I'm into graphics and video, that's been my bag since the beginning. I contributed a bunch of code to AVISynth back when I still ran windows, that's been about a decade now. I got sick of having to reload windows and then spend days trying to get all the dam tools reinstalled. Now I despise the very thought of windows simply because it looks ugly to me, it feels broken and I am lost without a bash prompt. Most of the stuff I had to buy tools to use in windows are there in bash I just have to put them together. Makes way mroe sense to me to spend a minute typing something that can finish by itself than click click click click.... click click click... click click click click....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 AM

102 posts, read 150,867 times
poptones,

I agree about Windows. I have all three: Windows, Mac, and Linux. My wife uses Windows because she's in grad school and they have to have it. My daughter likes her Mac, and I use pretty much nothing but Linux.

Like you, I spend a good deal of time in the Bash shell as well. It's amazing how quickly you can get things done via CLI. I still favor shell-based text editors to this day. For a really simple and nice text editor, check out nano. It's a clone of the Pico text editor and it's quite nice. I still prefer vi, but nano is fun to use now and then. I prefer vi for config files and coding, but prefer nano when actually writing. I also like gedit for a GUI text editor.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM

701 posts, read 994,547 times
slow day at work ... have time to browse. Here's a couple of interesting articles on Linux.

(oldie) The Market has rejected Linux. Get over it: The market has rejected Linux desktops. Get over it. | Tech Sanity Check | TechRepublic.com

Ubuntu's Advantage over the Mac and PC: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/ubuntus-two-big-advantages-over-windows-and-mac/37184?tag=rbxccnbzd1

Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 PM

7,646 posts, read 12,814,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
(oldie) The Market has rejected Linux. Get over it: The market has rejected Linux desktops.
From TFA:

Why hasn’t Linux succeeded on the desktop? There are several simple reasons:
1. It’s still too much of a pain
That's pretty much why it hasn't succeeded at my house. And why is it a pain?

1) One of the complaints I hear most often from dedicated linux users is about the package and dependency hell that outshines Windows DLL Hell at its most extravagant. However that's not been my issue; once put into everyday use, my own systems tend to wind up set in stone, so I'd never know if there WAS some future dependency issue.

2) Configuration madness. That's really been the killer for me. You're expected to either be an expert from the highest ivory tower, or you're too stoopid to breathe on your own and you certainly have no business touching anything but those few things WE say you can (and then we'll put it back when you're not looking, because we know what's best for you). There's seldom been even a nod toward middle ground. MDK7 came closest, but...

What I've been asking for all these years is a config tool that would let me learn what's going on under the hood without having to RTFM. I don't have the time or desire to become an expert, but I want to know what that config tick I made actually DID, so I know where to look if Something Goes Worng. Give me the list of checkboxes and such, but in another pane, show me simultaneously what was changed in the actual config file. (Ideally, highlight it, comment it, and let me edit in that pane TOO.) Let me learn the language and the underpinnings without having to spend half my life at it (which I might have done 20 years ago, but not now). And coding such an interface can't be all that hard -- word processors have done it for over 20 years (WordPerfect's "Reveal Codes" dates back at least to 1988), and some HTML editors routinely manage it, all in less than two megs of executable.

If you want to make the linux desktop accessible to the masses, you have to make middle ground usability the goal -- not the extremes. Unfortunately, linux has always concentrated on the extremes (naked compile-it-yourself, or stifling babytalk). Which is fine for people who want that, go for it. But don't expect a big shift from the market so long as that's all you offer.

Mind you, I think editing Windows' registry is "normal" but I learned what's going on in there from watching the effects, way back when it was still fairly simple (Win3.x). But there has to be an entry point for a new user to get comfortable doing that sort of thing... and that's what linux lacks.

"Just sudo obscurecommand -x -3h +k9 /b4nq, and bob's your uncle." I've actually heard that sort of advice given to newbies!!

Last edited by Reziac; 11-03-2010 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: What idiot poofread this post? :)

Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM

ls -1 *[A-Z][0-9]*jpg|while read F;do echo ${F%%[0-9*};done|uniq|while read S;do mkdir $S; mv ${S}*jpg $S;done

Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 PM

Reziac,

I do not disagree with you at all. I agree Linux has a long row to hoe if it wants to been seen as a replacement for Windows.

I use Linux because I feel comfortable with it, but it has its share of quirks. For example, Ubuntu 10.10 just got released last month. I installed it and everything seemed to be going well until I pulled the power cable out to go on battery power and the system panicked and blackscreened. Repeated the test several times with the same result. I downloaded Xubuntu 10.10 and have not had that happen.

I happen to like bleeding-edge software, so I don't mind dealing with the quirks, as there are so many different distros to fall back on should one crater too badly.

I downloaded Fedora 14 yesterday and need to check it out as well.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 11,319,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwestern View Post
poptones,

Imagine having a mainframe in your basement. Are they 220v or 100? .....
You would probably need a separate whole house air conditioner just to keep the computer cool. I've seen some that used voltages above 220 configured for 3-phase power, something not normally available at home. But, good luck to you if you decide to set one up.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:59 PM

mensaguy,

I'd rather not incur the power bill something like that would generate.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 PM

I don't want linux to become the defacto desktop, nor do I care if windows is. Linux works great for me, use whatever you want but don't ask me to help because I'm going to be just as lost in windows as you are in linux. Linux will never replace windows, but windows will never replace linux.

The biggest complaint I have is the last few versions have used a compositing window manager by default. Ubuntu has also been much more flaky. I've had two different motherboards, three videocards, replaced memory and the system would still sometimes stop responding. I finally stripped out all traces of the fancy but needless compositing stuff and it's been as reliable as I remember from three versions back.

I really don't get the complaints about config files? I can't recall the last time I opened a config file or needed to.

mkvmerge -o "/home/poptones/Videos/modernfamily/Modern Family S01E16 Fears.mkv" "--language" "1:eng" "--default-track" "1:yes" "--forced-track" "1:no" "--display-dimensions" "1:1280x720" "--language" "3:eng" "--default-track" "3:no" "--forced-track" "3:no" "-a" "3" "-d" "1" "-S" "-T" "--no-global-tags" "--no-chapters" "/home/poptones/Videos/modernfamily/Modern.Family.S01E16.Fears.mkv" "--track-order" "0:1,0:3"

Did I spend hours coming up with that? No, I opened the file in mkv files creator, ticked off the boxes I needed to change from default, then copied the command out of the "command line text" window, pasted it into bash, and hit return. When that one worked I changed the filename hashing and added a "ls -1|while read F" at the beginning and made it do the same process (stripping out russian soundtrack and subtitles) to every video in the directory. Easy.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:07 PM

7,646 posts, read 12,814,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
ls -1 *[A-Z][0-9]*jpg|while read F;do echo ${F%%[0-9*};done|uniq|while read S;do mkdir $S; mv ${S}*jpg $S;done
[peering closely] Is this intended to sort and catalog your naughty pictures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers