U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 02:04 PM

102 posts, read 150,719 times

Advertisements

Reziac,

FreeBSD is very uncomplicated compared to Linux. It was from the start designed to be simple yet powerful. I think you would enjoy a trial run with PC-BSD. It gives you the chance to install vanilla FreeBSD as well. Give it a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 03:13 PM

7,646 posts, read 12,803,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwestern View Post
Reziac,

FreeBSD is very uncomplicated compared to Linux. It was from the start designed to be simple yet powerful. I think you would enjoy a trial run with PC-BSD. It gives you the chance to install vanilla FreeBSD as well. Give it a shot.
I think I'll do that, next time I get some disk space cleared off... someone needs to get around to archiving off all this other downloaded crap that's cluttering up the place. Thanks for pointing me at it!

Old 11-05-2010, 03:19 PM

102 posts, read 150,719 times
Reziac,

No worries. I'll be curious to know how you like it.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,571,390 times
I first used Linux in 1998 (Red Hat 5.1!) and continue to use it today. I have Ubuntu 9.04 installed on the work computer (that everybody uses), and used Puppy Linux to move files from an old NTFS partition on a swapped hard drive (the computer it came from is broken) to a CompactFlash card today.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:00 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,571,390 times
One thing that is amazing about Linux is how far it's advanced relative to other operating systems in ease of use, application availability, hardware compatibility, and the like. Even for a "power user" like me, Linux used to be difficult: to install a program not on the distribution CD, you invariably would face "dependency hell" (and it was hell on a dial-up modem), inter-application copy and paste was not yet implemented, getting support for your hardware often meant recompiling your kernel, etc.

Fast forward about ten years, and the face of Linux has completely changed. Repositories have almost completely done away with the dependency problem, copying and pasting between applications is usually straightforward, and various distributions of Linux have recognized virtually any hardware item I throw at them. The installation process has long been far easier and quicker than that of Windows, and most distributions come with some features still not implemented in Windows 7, e.g. virtual desktops, "The Cube", etc. I sometimes even can use hardware much more easily in Linux than I can in Windows - for example, I have HP printer - scanner - copier at work, and for the "Scan" function, the bundled crapware HP provides is the only option I've found for simple scanning, while in Linux I have xsane, which provides a far more sophisticated yet very fast scanning front-end. However, as a result of its increased ease of use, in some ways Linux is stepping backwards - KDE 4 is awful compared to the glory of KDE 3.5.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Even for a "power user" like me, Linux used to be difficult: to install a program not on the distribution CD, you invariably would face "dependency hell" (and it was hell on a dial-up modem), inter-application copy and paste was not yet implemented, getting support for your hardware often meant recompiling your kernel, etc.
Oh, go back a bit further and it gets worse than that... a friend used linux starting way back when it was first available in any form, 1992ish. In that era it compared poorly to DOS v2. The standing joke was that it was only for people who enjoyed reformatting their drive once a week!! And applications?? Whuzatt?? Well, we all gotta start somewhere.

Sideways related, another independent OS --anyone here tried ReactOS? The latest version looks like it's approaching realworld-functional. One can hope.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,760,637 times
Count me in. Using Linux for 7 years now. Started with Mandrake, then Fedora, now Kubuntu. I run WinXP inside a VM once in a blue moon. I have converted a few relatives to Linux as well.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 AM

Okay folks, here's a WTF question for ya... on yonder machine we have a rather ill-mannered install of Mandriva v10.current. It flat refuses to recognise CDROM disks. It claims the drive is mounted but it just doesn't see the disk. Several folks on Other Forums[tm] mention the same problem with this distro. Anyone know what's going on??

Old 11-21-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
while in Linux I have xsane, which provides a far more sophisticated yet very fast scanning front-end. However, as a result of its increased ease of use, in some ways Linux is stepping backwards - KDE 4 is awful compared to the glory of KDE 3.5.
Does it handle SCSI scanners? (I love my old SCSI Scanjets, notably for their speed, and durability.)

So what all do you dislike about KDE 4 vs what you like about 3.5?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:33 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,942,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwestern View Post
plwhit,

Solaris is a fine Unix variant, but it's had its day. Linux on commodity x86 hardware has largely seen to the death of Unix. IBM is about the only shop out there running proprietary Unix in AIX. HP runs some HP-UX stuff, but Linux and FreeBSD are now the workhorses of the Internet/WWW.

I used Solaris quite a bit back in the late 90s and early 2000s. But the license costs for proprietary Unices are outrageous, and there is nothing they can do that Linux or FreeBSD cannot do and do better and/or cheaper. Commodity x86 hardware and Linux are what Google built its empire upon as well as many other players.
Solaris is now free.

Solaris has ZFS. Linux does not.

That said, I use mainly Fedora or some Debian variant for work. I stopped caring about distro differences a while back and I just want my computers to run now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers