Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times

Advertisements

I ran into this problem a few weeks ago with a clients computer. It turned out that the install disc I had (a custom rip) somehow managed to change itself from an OEM copy to a Retail copy. Whenever I tried using OEM keys on the side of a client's computer, it would bark at me and say I entered the wrong keycode. I ended up re-ripping and slipstreaming Sp3 from an OEM Dell disc, but I had to reinstall the entire OS to fix the problem. I didn't have the time to dig through reg. entries and hacks to make it work, and being for a client, I was going to eat the labor to make it work right.

I recommend you backup anything you have on there first before you start screwing with the system though. You can try SFC /Scannow and ChkDsk to see if anything is corrupted or missing system-file wise, but it might come down to just reinstalling XP, either as a fresh install or as a "repair" install.

And if you do find a non-destructive way to make it work, let us know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Doesn't Microsoft have a live human option for activation? I've never had to use it but know people who have and have gotten re-activated even when they really shouldn't have, like after installing the same copy of Office on half a dozen PCs.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Yes, they do, which you can access by screaming obscenities into the phone. As for activating the same copy of office? I've done it on about 100 different machines--successfully--every time just by calling the Robot and going through the steps. Works like a charm.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
I hate to say this, but you'll like Office 4 Mac and there is no backward compatiblity issues, either, it just works. I have a Office 2000 I run on a G4 and Snow Leopard too. There is a problem I ran into. Office 2010 can read ancient Office docs, but older Office versions can't read 2010.docx documents. If you are in business you are forced into the upgrade if you want to read the new docs. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
T

MacBooks are starting to look more and more attractive to me IYKWIM.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Office 2010 can read ancient Office docs, but older Office versions can't read 2010.docx documents. If you are in business you are forced into the upgrade if you want to read the new docs. .
Or you just download the free update to let older version of Office read the new file formats.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:30 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Or you just download the free update to let older version of Office read the new file formats.
... which is here.
Download details: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats

Old 11-05-2010, 09:48 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I ran into this problem a few weeks ago with a clients computer. It turned out that the install disc I had (a custom rip) somehow managed to change itself from an OEM copy to a Retail copy.
Unless the PID was modified in the setupp.ini, I don't see how it could change itself.

Quote:
Whenever I tried using OEM keys on the side of a client's computer, it would bark at me and say I entered the wrong keycode. I ended up re-ripping and slipstreaming Sp3 from an OEM Dell disc, but I had to reinstall the entire OS to fix the problem.
Different OEM have different sets of what they will or will not accept. My experience ... the retailer-bought OEM version I have worked and authorized with HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and Dell codes that I've come across. The Compaq OEM version didn't work at all with Dell codes. The Dell OEM version would install with other codes, but would not properly authorize.

Sometimes, the safest repair is just a complete reinstall. It depends on how much aggravation you want to take on. Most recently, I worked on a computer that was a complete upgrade except for the data. Hard drive cloned, did an XP repair so it'd have the proper drivers, and the result was zero grace period for activation. Only trouble was, the new network drivers were not installed yet, yielding a small catch-22 situation. Thankfully, safe mode isn't locked out, and I was able to install/update the necessary drivers; it activated fine with the OEM key from the old computer on the next reboot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers