U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:25 PM

249 posts, read 400,629 times

Advertisements

Thanks, but I think Cyberpower is not for me. I am not interested in Startrek, it is not for gaming but for working. It takes space, it is "junk" for nothing.

But thanks to all your advice, I might build it myself after all. I "just" have to find all the best-and-cheapest components in the market. But I will have a look at Walmart, I don't have Sam's card...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM

7,376 posts, read 13,033,992 times
newegg.com

Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,844,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
I "just" have to find all the best-and-cheapest components in the market.
Conflicted!! A component can not be the cheapest and best at the same time. It is like looking for a car with V12 engine that is also fuel efficient, it doesn't exist!
If you were able to build a PC before you should still be able to, if anything, it has gotten much easier with the newer more advanced cases coming up with all the idiot-proof wiring that are color based, etc. Motherboards are equally simplified (don't look at the technology on them but just the ease of assembly ).

I think the hardest part of building your own PC is still finding/picking the right components within your budget (if applicable), the rest is stick this here, connect that there, etc...

You are capable of building your own PC and you don't want a cheapy, low-end PC then it would be a mistake not to build your own.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:09 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,664,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'd rather buy from Cyberpower than Dell for a desktop because maybe Dell uses the cheapest components, has a custom PS only replaced by Dell, and maybe Dell computers can't be SLi'd.
On the corollary, they buy cheap in price because of quantity, not cheap in quality, what with having to warranty them otherwise. It doesn't mean they're absolutely top-notch components either, but with the rapid development/redesign/replacement cycles of computer components these days, such can't be assured even if you're picking out the components yourself either. Indeed, here at the office, both the homebuilt ones suffered video card failures; one at month 13, one at month 21. $570, down the drain. The (Seagate) hard drive that failed on the homebuilt ... RMA process, "replacement should arrive in 10-14 days". Dell (Samsung) hard drive failure ... new one, pre-imaged with the OS, overnighted.

As for industry standards ... on all the Dell towers I've dealt with, the motherboards and power supplies are standard sized. In the smaller form factors, they do venture into the proprietary aspects, but that's to be expected with any smaller-than-typical computers anyways.

Now that's not to say that Dell (or any pre-built) is the answer to everyone ... they're not. But for office use, light-gaming, and folks who rather not worry so much about hardware compatibility issues (which isn't as bad as it used to be in the older days, but still existent), I will say they're better off buying one from a major brand instead.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:58 PM

I am very interested, but I can't reply anymore. Every message I write is deleted (again answering TurcoLoco) because FF crashes. But I contacted Mozilla many times, it can't be that, I get too many different error massages.

I still read your messages in Outlook (that still works), but I need to save all my info before it is too late.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,496,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
As for industry standards ... on all the Dell towers I've dealt with, the motherboards and power supplies are standard sized.
A long time ago (1996 thru 2000 according to one web site), Dell used the industry standard ATX connector, but did not follow the ATX pinout on a few of their models. You could buy a cable that adapted an ATX power supply connector to the non-standard pinout required by those Dell systems. If the information I read is correct, they haven't shipped systems like that in ten years.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,811,575 times
When I bought a laptop with considerable research in July, I bought it from Costco.com. Their computers have Windows 7 loaded. They also have a two-year warranty vs. one-year from most other retailers and free tech support, called the Costco Concierge, from the U.S. rather than overseas. Individual membership to Costco is only $50 per year and is refundable if you are ever dissatisfied. I also get all my computer accessories from Costco, so I've paid back my membership fee many times over on that alone (not counting the gas, food, liquor, and prescriptions I buy there ).

I purchased my new laptop to replace a Compaq I bought at Costco about ten years ago. My desktop is a Dell I didn't buy but was given to me. It's not bad -- way better than the Gateway from my employer. I've managed to keep the Dell going for seven years now, running Windows XP. I don't load too much on it, though. Dell's tech service is only free for a limited time. After that they charge you for every call.

If you are not gaming, Intel Core I5 might be more than necessary. But if money isn't an issue, why not? Money was an issue for me so I bought an HP with Core I3, which is PLENTY fast for my needs. I require a Webcam and a disk reader and it has both.

I steered clear of Toshiba. I bought my mother one of their TVs and I'm not impressed with it. If you must do a big box store, I'd choose either Office Depot or Staples over Best Buy. BB never has the best prices and you get no competent advice there. I looked at laptops at Staples and was surprisingly impressed with the service help I received. Office Depot seems to be trying to push computers so they have some good price bargains, but there's no knowledge there as far as I can tell.

My IT friends shop at Newegg but they complimented my Costco HP purchase as a good deal when they saw all I got for the money. They have quite a few desktops in a broad price range at the Costco store, but way more choices online.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 PM

3,219 posts, read 5,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
It's best if you build your own. But if you want a built one already I'd get it from CyberPower Inc. - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams

They make nice custom built PCs from off the shelf components.
I tried suggesting to the OP if there was a computer shop in their area that builds computers which was generally the same as your great suggestion, but my response wasn't "valid".

Can't please everyone I guess.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 PM

I will try to go to the end of my answer....

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend you, but to build a computer, I don't need a store, I can do it myself. I usually solve all my problems myself (with a lot of help, from competent people ).

Thanks anyway for the suggestion

Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 AM

9,738 posts, read 8,217,258 times
Stick to mail-order from Dell or HP. I get all of my equipment from the Dell "outlet" section. Lots of great deals on systems people ordered and returned or cancelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers