Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times

Advertisements

I generally build all my own systems, but this time around I settled on buying a custom spec from Cyberpower. They offer much better components than Dell or HP and the pricing for building a complete system (major upgrade this time) was pretty much equal to what I could buy the parts for, included a bunch of free games and all I have to do is plug it in.

If I were you since you are not looking to do any gaming, just work, I would look into the Intel H55 architecture coupled with the i5 650 processor. This setup is designed for the work and casual user as the processor has a built in graphics chip that the motherboard can take advantage of, saving you the cost of an add-on graphics card.

A local shop around here is selling the following in the bundle:

Intel DH55TC Motherboard (includes audio, video, LAN and HDMI)
2 GB 1333 DDR3 RAM
640GB SATA2 HDD
22x DVD/RW
m-ATX Case
USB Keyboard and Mouse
Windows 7 Home Premium

w/ the i5 650 it's $539
w/ the i3 540 it's $469

Anything within those similar specs would be a very good work and casual use (internet, videos, etc.) computer. Also, the price from an online place like newegg should be cheaper for a comparable system to what I listed from the local shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:29 PM

249 posts, read 440,498 times
I finally bought it....

I went to retail and online stores, many, read all your advice, couldn't decide. Then I went to a little computer store nearby, asked them what they could do. That was last Thursday. They promised me an answer by Monday. On Monday, they called me to let me know that would be ready on Tuesday. Nothing. On Wed, I called and got an answering machine, asking me to leave a message. Ok!!!!!!!!!! No call or email since then.

So I went to more sites on Wed afternoon and found a good deal (OR WHAT I HOPE IS A GOOD DEAL) . Lenovo ThinkCentre M90 3245A8U for $733 at CDW, it has more than I was expecting (Win 7 Pro, super graphic card...). It might have been discontinued a few days ago, although I found it on other sites for ~$250 more. CDW are not over-pro (many mistakes in my name, email, tracking number, no confirmation, I had to call again ) but it is on its way.

So, now I have my fingers and toes crossed. Thanks for your help

Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,079 times
I didn't read the whole thread but I'll throw in my experiences.

I have purchased several PCs, laptops, printers, and monitors from the dell outlet website. What I really love is the very filterable interface with lots of drop down boxes to specify how much memory, hard drive size etc.

A lot of this stuff is returns or scratch and dent so the prices are pretty low.

Now, I've only purchased family/office PCs for general computing - no hard core gaming PCs - though I do a lot of AVCHD digital processing.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 PM

422 posts, read 791,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
Hi,

I am in a urgent need of a new computer, I usually have 2 or 3, but now only an horrible Toshiba laptop (the lightest and it is what I need when I travel, but I have millions problems, I am soooo angry with Toshiba ).

I am looking for a desktop, with win 7. I used to build them myself, but it seems to be less expensive and fewer headaches to buy it assembled. I went to CompUSA and BestBuy (are there other stores now???), it seems they have only Gateway and Asus (Lenovo being much too expensive). I don’t need a keyboard or mouse included, they would better include Ms Office! I am considering Intel Core i5. I need a fast machine, good at multitasking (but I don’t play games... in every meaning ).

Can anyone tell me, first if there are other big stores, Staples and Office Depot are so incompetent, then if you have other ideas? It has been a long time since I have not bought a desktop, mine lasted forever with upgrades. I can’t believe there are only 3 makers.

Thanks a lot
I only buy Lenovo PCs (IBM).

Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I finally bought it....

I went to retail and online stores, many, read all your advice, couldn't decide. Then I went to a little computer store nearby, asked them what they could do. That was last Thursday. They promised me an answer by Monday. On Monday, they called me to let me know that would be ready on Tuesday. Nothing. On Wed, I called and got an answering machine, asking me to leave a message. Ok!!!!!!!!!! No call or email since then.

So I went to more sites on Wed afternoon and found a good deal (OR WHAT I HOPE IS A GOOD DEAL) . Lenovo ThinkCentre M90 3245A8U for $733 at CDW, it has more than I was expecting (Win 7 Pro, super graphic card...). It might have been discontinued a few days ago, although I found it on other sites for ~$250 more. CDW are not over-pro (many mistakes in my name, email, tracking number, no confirmation, I had to call again ) but it is on its way.

So, now I have my fingers and toes crossed. Thanks for your help
That's a good pickup. That system uses the i5-750 which is a great processor. The Nvidia 310 graphics chip is also more than adequate for casual use, though it may fall short if you are looking to do any serious gaming. Given the price you got it at, that's a fantastic deal.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:22 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am in a urgent need of a new computer, I usually have 2 or 3, but now only an horrible Toshiba laptop (the lightest and it is what I need when I travel, but I have millions problems, I am soooo angry with Toshiba ).

I am looking for a desktop, with win 7. I used to build them myself, but it seems to be less expensive and fewer headaches to buy it assembled. I went to CompUSA and BestBuy (are there other stores now???), it seems they have only Gateway and Asus (Lenovo being much too expensive). I don’t need a keyboard or mouse included, they would better include Ms Office! I am considering Intel Core i5. I need a fast machine, good at multitasking (but I don’t play games... in every meaning ).

Thanks a lot
WTF? You use to build computers but now you go to bestbuy and compusa? Somehow i doubt you ever built your own pc. You would know that building your own pc is cheaper not more expensive than buying from crapola stores like what you listed above.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
WTF? You use to build computers but now you go to bestbuy and compusa? Somehow i doubt you ever built your own pc. You would know that building your own pc is cheaper not more expensive than buying from crapola stores like what you listed above.
That statement isn't necessarily true anymore. If you are building from scratch (with the exception of the monitor/mouse/keyboard) it really isn't THAT much cheaper than buying a system already assembled from any number of builders.

I just put a new system together, but waffled back and forth between buying one from Cyberpower and building it myself. I was 99% sure that I would buy from Cyberpower when I made an earlier post in this thread, but ended up building it myself. All told I saved less than $50 (including shipping) by building it myself versus ordering it. The decider for me was that the dieing mobo in my old system finally went and my wife and kids didn't want to be computerless for 3-4 weeks while I waited for the new one to come in, so I headed off to Microcenter. It took me about 4 hours to build the new rig, install the OS and get everything setup. You need to ask yourself if that time is worth it, especially if you haven't built a PC in a few years and it may take longer than a few hours.

Also, an ordered system is going to come with a warranty (generally 3 years) and tech support. Something you don't get when you build it yourself and that alone can easily justify the extra cash for most people. The days when a homebuilt rig were WAY cheaper seems to be over, but I do think you can still build a better quality system for the money by DIY.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:49 PM

Please, skel, don't be insulting (and crude). You don't know in what condition I am. Yes, I used to build them, and yes, I go (and went) online or otherwise to Compusa, BestBuy, price grabber etc... used to spend days, weeks or months to find the best and cheapest components (quality wise), make sure about compatibility, but I have had an accident, I don't have the energy to do it now.

Keep your assumptions for yourself. Thanks.

And thanks, NJGOAT, you cheer me up... BECAUSE I used to chose carefully my components and I was not sure they don't put cheap stuff in it. I don't do gaming, but I work with photos. Cyberpower was much more expensive

Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM

8,300 posts, read 13,432,374 times

If the above system appeals to you, you might want to check out the related link:
iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme Gaming Desktop PC (M501D3), AMD AthlonIIx2 x2 250 3.0GHz Processor, ATI Radeon HD5450 512MB Graphics, 500GB Serial-ATA-II Hard Disk Drive, 4GB (2GB x2) DDR3-1333, 480Watt Power Supply - Meritline.com

For $499. it is not too bad I think but it has been a while since I shopped for parts. I just wanted to throw it out as an option.

PS. If you use the code MLC281130111914NL1, it should save you another $70.00!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Thank you, it is nice of you, but I need an Intel i5.

but I would like to share my recent experience with you all: AVOID CDW LIKE PLAGUE!!! They lied to me all along . First the computer is not new, it is what they (???) call a B-series, it came with XP, not win 7, so I called and called again. They sent me a RMA, and told me as soon as they receive it, they will ship me a totally new one, another lie. On Wed, they told me that a pick-up time has been scheduled for a pick-up with UPS for today.... I waited all day, no schedule has been made, and I have to pay for a pick-up. It is heavy, after my accident I can't carry anything. I called them again, they will NOT send me a new one, since this one is not. I talked to a supervisor, who gave me his DL... but I get now a voice mail!

Where can I complain, and where can I give a feedback about this store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers