Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:52 AM

249 posts, read 439,962 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in a urgent need of a new computer, I usually have 2 or 3, but now only an horrible Toshiba laptop (the lightest and it is what I need when I travel, but I have millions problems, I am soooo angry with Toshiba ).

I am looking for a desktop, with win 7. I used to build them myself, but it seems to be less expensive and fewer headaches to buy it assembled. I went to CompUSA and BestBuy (are there other stores now???), it seems they have only Gateway and Asus (Lenovo being much too expensive). I don’t need a keyboard or mouse included, they would better include Ms Office! I am considering Intel Core i5. I need a fast machine, good at multitasking (but I don’t play games... in every meaning ).

Can anyone tell me, first if there are other big stores, Staples and Office Depot are so incompetent, then if you have other ideas? It has been a long time since I have not bought a desktop, mine lasted forever with upgrades. I can’t believe there are only 3 makers.

Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:05 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,570,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
Hi,

I am in a urgent need of a new computer, I usually have 2 or 3, but now only an horrible Toshiba laptop (the lightest and it is what I need when I travel, but I have millions problems, I am soooo angry with Toshiba ).

I am looking for a desktop, with win 7. I used to build them myself, but it seems to be less expensive and fewer headaches to buy it assembled. I went to CompUSA and BestBuy (are there other stores now???), it seems they have only Gateway and Asus (Lenovo being much too expensive). I don’t need a keyboard or mouse included, they would better include Ms Office! I am considering Intel Core i5. I need a fast machine, good at multitasking (but I don’t play games... in every meaning ).

Can anyone tell me, first if there are other big stores, Staples and Office Depot are so incompetent, then if you have other ideas? It has been a long time since I have not bought a desktop, mine lasted forever with upgrades. I can’t believe there are only 3 makers.

Thanks a lot
Do you have a computer shop that builds them in your area?, that would be the way to go IMHO.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,965,233 times
Yes, it's typically less expensive to buy vs. build ... at the lower end (sub-$500). Beyond that, do your homework to see which is a better value. Here at the office, the server was built (huge price difference) but most of the other computers were bought instead. Reliability ... two of the built ones have had more hardware issues than all nine of the Dells (from the past 10 years) combined. The other built one (and of the lowest spec) has been fine.

As for makes ... there are others. Worldwide, the top five are HP, Acer, Dell, Lenovo, and Asus. Compaq is lumped in with HP, Gateway is lumped in with Acer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Do you have a computer shop that builds them in your area?, that would be the way to go IMHO.
You're better off building it yourself; it's not like it'd take that long. Besides, small computer shops are getting fewer and fewer nowadays. Price wise, they just can't go up against the likes of Newegg which resells (or drop-ships) by container-loads of quantity.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 AM

To NJguy
Thanks, but you don't answer my question, and it is certainly not an option for me. If I buy parts separately, I will assemble it myself.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 AM

16,631 posts, read 15,583,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
..... I went to CompUSA and BestBuy (are there other stores now???), it seems they have only Gateway and Asus (Lenovo being much too expensive). ..... Can anyone tell me, first if there are other big stores, Staples and Office Depot are so incompetent, then if you have other ideas? It has been a long time since I have not bought a desktop, mine lasted forever with upgrades. I can’t believe there are only 3 makers. .....
Step back and look at what you are saying. You have the skills to build your own computer. Why do you care if Office Depot is incompetent? You're not going to use their expertise anyway. You are capable of buying a computer at BestBuy because you will never let the GeekSquad touch it. Look for the best bargain you can and make sure you understand the warranty. Is it manufacturer, retailer, or third party? Don't forget to look at Office Max, WalMart and Sam's. We don't have access to BJ's or Fry's, but you might. Find the features or the machine you want and shop for the best bargain. It might be at a small computer store, too.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 AM

I was replying to the previous answer.... and it crashed again....

Thanks, Mensaguy, you make me laugh and cheer me up at the same time . I used to have the ability to build them myself, but the technology changes so fast that I lost... self confidence . That's true, NOBODY ever touches my computers.

But thanks, you give me precious advice. I hope I will have time to backup all my system. It becomes more unstable, I get a lot of error, and I am SURE it is not Outlook or FF.

Not sure I can wait so long, but can you tell me if there are real bargains on Black Friday in this quality? (as you can see, I am new in the US)

I have to restart now to see if it gets better... scared

Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 AM

For computers with i5 processors ... maybe not. BF deals are typically lower-end at really low prices, not mid-grade at low prices.

That said ...
- Intel® Core™ i5-760 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
- 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
- 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
- Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
- ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
- 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
- Wireless-N PCIe Card
... for $729.99 from Dell Small Business.
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

DIY from Newegg ...
$602.99 AR + $74.99 for the additional 4GB ram + a graphics card + Windows7 ...
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,722,565 times
It's best if you build your own. But if you want a built one already I'd get it from CyberPower Inc. - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams

They make nice custom built PCs from off the shelf components.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
It's best if you build your own. But if you want a built one already I'd get it from CyberPower Inc. - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams

They make nice custom built PCs from off the shelf components.
I used the Gamer Xtreme 2000 to compare with the Dell. To meet the same specs (add to 8GB memory, deduct to ATI 5450 GPU), it will be $839 + $65 shipping from CyberPower.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,722,565 times
I'd rather buy from Cyberpower than Dell for a desktop because maybe Dell uses the cheapest components, has a custom PS only replaced by Dell, and maybe Dell computers can't be SLi'd.

But I'd rather buy a laptop from Dell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers