Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 PM

224 posts, read 689,394 times

Advertisements

I have an HP Pavilion Dv4 laptop with Windows Vista installed. I am getting some sort of kernel error, since tha caps lock and scroll lock lights are flashing. It is one flash, long pause pattern. The monitor is black. I tried taking the battery out and pushing power button, then putting in power cord and turning on computer, then inserting power supply. This did not help, and I followed the steps carefully. I also tried the function keys mentioned by other bloggers in other forums, such as control, alt, and backspace. This did not work, and control, alt, F1 &b F6 did not work either. I read that I can reseat the motherboard, but I don't know how to do that, or what to look for for reseating. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I do not understand much computer jargon, so I don't understand the more detailed forums out there. I hope someone can help me. My schoolwork is on that computer, and I need it badly. Please respond asap. I am much obliged.
Yes, the laptop has warranty, but I would like to quick fix long enough to connect thumb drive and extract student work... please help, thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 11:16 AM

219 posts, read 481,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemandy23 View Post
I have an HP Pavilion Dv4 laptop with Windows Vista installed. I am getting some sort of kernel error, since tha caps lock and scroll lock lights are flashing. It is one flash, long pause pattern. The monitor is black. I tried taking the battery out and pushing power button, then putting in power cord and turning on computer, then inserting power supply. This did not help, and I followed the steps carefully. I also tried the function keys mentioned by other bloggers in other forums, such as control, alt, and backspace. This did not work, and control, alt, F1 &b F6 did not work either. I read that I can reseat the motherboard, but I don't know how to do that, or what to look for for reseating. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I do not understand much computer jargon, so I don't understand the more detailed forums out there. I hope someone can help me. My schoolwork is on that computer, and I need it badly. Please respond asap. I am much obliged.
Yes, the laptop has warranty, but I would like to quick fix long enough to connect thumb drive and extract student work... please help, thanks..
AFAIK, Windows does not blink the keyboard lights when there's a kernel error, while OTOH, Linux does. Windows usually reboots itself or shows a blue screen with error text.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
AFAIK, Windows does not blink the keyboard lights when there's a kernel error, while OTOH, Linux does. Windows usually reboots itself or shows a blue screen with error text.
Right, keyboard LEDs flashing in Windows indicates hardware issues, other possibility is funky drivers but that would be a seldom case.
Other odd possibility is a malicious software.

Tek's link has very useful information so you definitely should read through it!

If all else fails, worst case scenario, you might have to get one of those external hard drive adapters to connect this drive to another PC and extract your data

-or-

Get a USB flash drive, make it bootable and then boot to it, then extract the vital data from your laptop's hard drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers