U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,372,973 times

Advertisements

Received Email today

Track your shipment NR85601
Add to ContactsTo:
DHL_label_id.Nr348.zip (30KB)

Good afternoon.
Your parcel has arrived at the post office on October 19
Our Driver was unable to deliver the parcel to your address.
To receive a parcel you must go to the nearest DHL office and show your mailing label.
You need to print mailing label, and show it in DHL office to receive the parcel.
Thank you.
DHL Global.

The attachment contains an exe file, by clicking on it puts malware into your computer.

I didn't open it - researched to to DHL's website

Read link NEW VIRUS ALERT: Urgent message to our customers | | DHL Global Mail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 03:46 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,645,472 times
Aww geez, again with the DHL trojan?

Common sense would say I don't need the enclosed program just to print a mailing label
Quote:
You need to print mailing label, and show it in DHL office to receive the parcel.
I can see an outfit asking for an ID to pick up a package but show a mailing label?

I guess since these type of things are continuing it means either there are a very large number of computer users who have just days of experience on the Internet or a large number of people who just don't give a s**t if they get infected. And then whining 6 months or a year down the road complaining that their system either crashes or is running really slow.......

Last edited by plwhit; 11-03-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Common sense would say I don't need the enclosed program just to print a mailing label I can see an outfit asking for an ID to pick up a package but show a mailing label?

I guess since these type of things are continuing it means either there are a very large number of computer users who have just days of experience on the Internet or a large number of people who just don't give a s**t if they get infected.
majority of the people I come across do lack common sense (stupid) and/or ignorant and I do not mean once in a blue moon type "duh moment".

Not sure about the percentage but let's just say majority of people and this is a sad fact. They can be serving your burger or ruling the country...
No matter how much you try to train/educate them, it is futile for more, you just can't fix stupid.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:04 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,372,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
majority of the people I come across do lack common sense (stupid) and/or ignorant and I do not mean once in a blue moon type "duh moment".

When I opened up and saw it was an executable file - that was the give away........

Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
These aren't new, they come in spurts, stop for a while, then return. Look for similar emails from fedex, ups, and almost anyone.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,841,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
These aren't new, they come in spurts, stop for a while, then return. Look for similar emails from fedex, ups, and almost anyone.
They never are, as the population of the world and the Internet users increase, they come back again to find more victims.

Just today I got one in my Yahoo e-mail but even Yahoo could tell it was a spam (1st red flag).
Imitating and ignorant/curious fool, I decided to download the suspicious file (I mean the label) anyways. I have never received a package via DHL in my entire life. Every merchant I dealt with used either FedEx, UPS or USPS. More importantly I wasn't expecting any packages from anyone for any reason (2nd red flag).

Anyhow, Yahoo has integrated Norton AV scanner in their e-mails so I had Norton scan the file, it couldn't and gave an error (3rd red flag):

The e-mail was sent to my e-mail address but there was an unfamiliar e-mail address (similar to mine) in the 'BCC' field (4th red flag) but I didn't care, the way I saw it, DHL was trying really hard to get a hold of me!
Not even the multiple goofy grammar errors and other oddities within the message could deter me from getting to my label!

DHL stating my parcel had arrived at the post office (?) on October 15 (today is November 3) !!!
Even though the package had arrived at the post office, they are telling me to go to the nearest DHL office and show my mailing label. What happened to the post office? Further more, what the f.ck is the nearest DHL office, isn't there an address? Where is the bloody package exactly?
I could go on and on and on but thank god all the smart brain cells I have left already retired for the evening and they are probably sleeping but the dumb.ss brain cells decided to stick around on this forum and type away.
What can I say, I am not perfect either.

Oh well, I downloaded this seemingly suspicious file....err, the label I mean and I don't even have a AV scanner on my PC! The last minute, one of the smart brain cells that was still awake said "TurcoLoco, why don't you upload this file to VirusTotal - Free Online Virus, Malware and URL Scanner to see what is really in it?" So I did:

Of course even I wouldn't open this file after seeing the above results. Oh well, I guess I have to let go off that package that I wasn't even expecting? Darn it!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,090,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Common sense would say I don't need the enclosed program just to print a mailing label I can see an outfit asking for an ID to pick up a package but show a mailing label?

I guess since these type of things are continuing it means either there are a very large number of computer users who have just days of experience on the Internet or a large number of people who just don't give a s**t if they get infected. And then whining 6 months or a year down the road complaining that their system either crashes or is running really slow.......

That **** keeps in business. I had a client one time ask me (half seriously) if we infect computers just to keep business. I laughed nervously, because honestly, it seems like it. The high-tech equivalent of running around at night popping tires. But that's bad business.

If I even have a question about the integrity of a file or website, I'll run it in a virtual environment first, which I can 86 rather easily if it turns out to be malicious.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:07 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
That **** keeps in business. I had a client one time ask me (half seriously) if we infect computers just to keep business. I laughed nervously, because honestly, it seems like it. The high-tech equivalent of running around at night popping tires. But that's bad business.
I had a client ask me the same thing, and my reply was that we don't have to, as our clients are perfectly capable of infecting themselves on a regular basis. It amazes me some of the stupid stuff they do trying to fix their own problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or