U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 AM

40,293 posts, read 41,843,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Like I said. A copyright.
Let me elaborate, copyright determines ownership of a work. There is only one copyright and it would be owned by a single person or entity like a corporation. The only way to transfer copyright to someone else is through legal means, contract, lawyers etc...

As the owner of a copyright you can issue licenses like the GPL which determines how it can be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,061,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
GPL? GNU? Those are copyrights. The purpose of the copyright is to protect the work of the original artist\inventor\etc for first-rights use. Essentially, to make money before anyone else is allowed to.

A 75 year copyright is excessive for this purpose. Copyrights must expire so that the work can become distributed as part of the culture of a tribe.

Also, good analogy. You'll see the same logic (rightfully) applied by gun-rights groups.
I agree that 75 years is excessive. Especially since over 90% of the revenue usually is made during the first year.

But my point is, it's not even 75 years. If it was 75 years, then Mickey Mouse would be in public domain right now. But thanks to the Mickey Mouse Protection Act, its now 95 years. And Walt Disney is not going to give it up even then. They will just go back to congress and get another extension. The next time it will be for 150 or 200 years.

Somebody who believes that these laws are good. Please explain to me, why any person in a free society should be obligated to comply with a licensing agreement. The terms of which of are constantly being changed by the other party and congress. Yes its the law, but its an unjust law, and a totally unnecessary anyway.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:31 PM

40,293 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Please explain to me, why any person in a free society should be obligated to comply with a licensing agreement.
How else would you suggest the people producing this material be compensated? We don't tell anyone else what they can make, why would you change the rules for people who own copyrights?

People produce these things because they can make money doing it, if there is no money to be had why bother?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 PM

34,327 posts, read 59,671,507 times
Quote:
I agree that 75 years is excessive. Especially since over 90% of the revenue usually is made during the first year.

But my point is, it's not even 75 years. If it was 75 years, then Mickey Mouse would be in public domain right now. But thanks to the Mickey Mouse Protection Act, its now 95 years. And Walt Disney is not going to give it up even then. They will just go back to congress and get another extension. The next time it will be for 150 or 200 years.

Somebody who believes that these laws are good. Please explain to me, why any person in a free society should be obligated to comply with a licensing agreement. The terms of which of are constantly being changed by the other party and congress. Yes its the law, but its an unjust law, and a totally unnecessary anyway.
Be a creator rather than a taker, and see if you feel differently.

No one owes me art, music, or cartoon figures for free. And, I have the right to create my own, if I am willing to invest considerable time in learning, practicing, failing, and polishing my talent.
Knowing that reduces my urge to steal from others.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,092,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How else would you suggest the people producing this material be compensated? We don't tell anyone else what they can make, why would you change the rules for people who own copyrights?

People produce these things because they can make money doing it, if there is no money to be had why bother?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

No one owes me art, music, or cartoon figures for free. And, I have the right to create my own, if I am willing to invest considerable time in learning, practicing, failing, and polishing my talent.
To quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUSA:A1§8
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

That's why.

Copyright isn't a right of their respective owners, but a privilege granted by the governments who distribute them. They secure, temporarily, the right of the holder to express their work. Copyright holders do not own their music, their art, their software after that period of time. Their right to express them for a limited period of time--which 75 years is excessive for this purpose (and now 95), is intended to give them "first profits." As pointed out, Mickey should have been entered into Public Domain--but hasn't--because of corporate greed. It is in the interest of society at large to update our copyright laws for a society that travels at the speed of light.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:

I guess you mean the same way the Rudyard Kipling invested considerable time in learning, practicing, failing, and polishing his talent to write The Jungle Book in 1894. Only to have it ripped off by a good for nothing, thieving SOB by the name of Walt Disney in 1967, right after Kipling's copyright expired. But old Disney is smart. He doesn't want anyone else to steal it from him, the same way he stole it from Kipling. So he gets his friends in Congress to pass a copyright extension act, so he can keep the copyright forever.

And I guess that none of this seems at all hypocritical to you, does it? Oh and of course, you should never use a file-sharing to download that video, because that would be stealing, and stealing is wrong. Unless you are Walt Disney, then it's OK.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
IDK, it was Walt Disney who wanted the rules changed. I guess you should send him an e-mail and ask him why he wanted his friends in Congress to pass the The Mickey Mouse Preservation Act. I suspect it has something to do with corporate greed though.

Quote:
Well file-sharing programs have been around for quite a while now, and people seem to be using them a lot. And before that there were VCRs and tape recorders, that could be used to make copies. Yet even with all that copying going on. There still seems to be enough money to be had, to keep people producing the content.

It might have something to do with the fact that an iPod can hold up to 40,000 songs. Probably almost nobody would actually spend $40,000 to download all that music from iTunes. So it probably doesn't effect the producers pocketbooks one way or the other.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,860,948 times
Quote:

If I create something, I put it out to the public domain. I can think of other inventors who felt the same exact way, and someone else took the credit for their invention, because they were the ones to patent it.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 AM

445 posts, read 1,409,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
An orange jumpsuit for ten years may slow it down though.
I have never thought that 'orange' would compliment my eyes

Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 AM

34,327 posts, read 59,671,507 times
Quote:
I guess you mean the same way the Rudyard Kipling invested considerable time in learning, practicing, failing, and polishing his talent to write The Jungle Book in 1894. Only to have it ripped off by a good for nothing, thieving SOB by the name of Walt Disney in 1967, right after Kipling's copyright expired. But old Disney is smart. He doesn't want anyone else to steal it from him, the same way he stole it from Kipling. So he gets his friends in Congress to pass a copyright extension act, so he can keep the copyright forever.

And I guess that none of this seems at all hypocritical to you, does it? Oh and of course, you should never use a file-sharing to download that video, because that would be stealing, and stealing is wrong. Unless you are Walt Disney, then it's OK.
I'm not responsible for Walt Disney's actions.
And I would not use his business methods as personal rationalization for stealing, for using someone else's stuff without their permission when they have reserved the rights to their creation.

Justifying stealing intellectual property because others work the fringes of the law to their personal gain just doesn't fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If I create something, I put it out to the public domain. I can think of other inventors who felt the same exact way, and someone else took the credit for their invention, because they were the ones to patent it.
You have made a personal choice, and it is one that others have made too. I see nothing wrong with it. I don't feel compelled to make it my choice.

If I decide to NOT put something into the public domain, does that make me a Walt Disney apologist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or