U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:56 PM

3,118 posts, read 3,933,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
Actually yes I have. I have owned laptops made by Toshiba, Acer, Dell, DIY and others I forget right now and none of them measure up to Alienware. I have even used my friends Apple Mac Book Pro and found it less than satisfactory. He even offered to trade it to me for my M11x (I own an M11x and M17x). Buying an Alienware is akin to shopping at Nordstrom, as you pay a high price but you get the best quality, in my experience. Oh and I have always gotten excellent customer and support/repair service from them going on seven years now
Acer doesn't make a gaming machine
Toshiba only makes one, and it's a mid range, whereas Alienware caters to the extreme crowd
Dell USED to make high end machines with their XPS's. Know what they call those exact same machines now? Alienwares
And really...you build your own gaming laptops? That's amazing, since basically nobody builds their own laptops due to difficulty obtaining components, form factor issues, etc.

Buying an Alienware is akin to buying a Jaguar. It's basically just a Ford, but you are paying twice as much for it because it has a cool hood ornament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 08:26 PM

468 posts, read 550,495 times
Default Alienware do make expensive gaming rigs but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Acer doesn't make a gaming machine
Toshiba only makes one, and it's a mid range, whereas Alienware caters to the extreme crowd
Dell USED to make high end machines with their XPS's. Know what they call those exact same machines now? Alienwares
And really...you build your own gaming laptops? That's amazing, since basically nobody builds their own laptops due to difficulty obtaining components, form factor issues, etc.

Buying an Alienware is akin to buying a Jaguar. It's basically just a Ford, but you are paying twice as much for it because it has a cool hood ornament.
I agree with you that $4,500 is too much to pay but I have purchased three for far less and they game wonderfully. I use the other companies laptops as examples that I have tried out many types and styles and find Alienware to be the best. And yes my son actually built a gaming laptop once and it wasn't too bad nor too expensive.

I also agree that you are buying the brand name along with the excellent support. But if you get excellent performance along with that why wouldn't you spend a few extra bucks? Oh and I love the mobility they give me to game wherever I want!

I have yet to meet anybody who has purchased a luxury car like a Jaguar just for the cool hood ornament, have you? The old saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind here. For example Asus is now making some sweet gaming laptops, for less than AW but people are hesitant to purchase them because they have really awful support and service.

I will also admit that I do enjoy when people come up to me at the library or in Starbucks and say where did you get that awesome looking computer from and what is it? One time in Best Buy when I told a salesman that I bought my son an Alienware laptop he said you are so cool, will you buy me one too?

Old 12-04-2010, 10:44 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,084,460 times
Just to follow up - this is the computer we got:

ASUS G60VX-RBBX05

Having portability was more important to him than being able to upgrade components, so we went with a laptop. I was a *little* concerned about it being recertified, some of the ratings indicated there were problems with a few computers, but everything works really, really well on his.

We had one issue with getting connected to wifi, but one call to ASUS support got it all straightened out. (It was user error!) They were very helpful and patient.

He is a very happy 18-year-old!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:20 AM

468 posts, read 550,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
Just to follow up - this is the computer we got:

ASUS G60VX-RBBX05

Having portability was more important to him than being able to upgrade components, so we went with a laptop. I was a *little* concerned about it being recertified, some of the ratings indicated there were problems with a few computers, but everything works really, really well on his.

We had one issue with getting connected to wifi, but one call to ASUS support got it all straightened out. (It was user error!) They were very helpful and patient.

He is a very happy 18-year-old!
Nice puter I have heard that ASUS is making very nice budget gaming computers, the only negative I heard was poor support but since you didn't have that experience perhaps they are getting the message. I hope he enjoys it for many years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers