U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM

3,162 posts, read 8,755,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
So was it a "high contrast" theme? Under ease of access?
That was my guess - those settings used to be called "accessibility", if i remember correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:12 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
That was my guess - those settings used to be called "accessibility", if i remember correctly.
when I replied initially I was not on a Win7 machine so I couldn't look it up to give the steps but now at work I was able to play with it and holly crap, the High Contrast White and High Contrast Black under Basic and High Contrast Themes cause wacky effects for sure!
For example "High Contrast White (or Black)" makes it so that you cannot even see the button [quote] on this site! Crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Hmmm. I have altered the registry before. I just know to be careful. I'm familiar with the regedit process.
You ALWAYS back up at least the part of the registry that you are thinking about modifying, regardless of how familiar you are.

If your issue is indeed with the theme settings and not background as others suggested, then this is the location:

Quote:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Appearance
The Value called Current (which should match "New Current" Value right below it) shows your currently selected theme.
If its data shows @themeui.dll,-852 that would be High Contrast Black, High Contrast White would be -853.
Change it to @themeui.dll,-854 which will give you Windows Classic then you can go from there.
You will have to log off and log back on. Why would you not be able to do this in the "Personalize" screen is odd.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-09-2010 at 03:27 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 07:06 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,684,398 times
You could always go to safe mode and delete the video card. Then when the card reloads in normal mode it should reload in normal color.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,495 times
What I ended up doing was write-clicking the desktop and then clicking on personalize. Clue came from my wife. Everything fell into place after that. Thank ya'll for pitching in your thoughts. It turned out to be a lot simpler than I thought it would be.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
What I ended up doing was write-clicking the desktop and then clicking on personalize. Clue came from my wife. Everything fell into place after that. Thank ya'll for pitching in your thoughts. It turned out to be a lot simpler than I thought it would be.
So, you ended up de-personalizing it, huh?

Sometimes, even I forget the good old saying "Low tech before high tech"!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:01 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
So, you ended up de-personalizing it, huh?

Sometimes, even I forget the good old saying "Low tech before high tech"!
I re-personalized it, but didn't screw up this time...

Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,466,059 times
I find it funny someone immediately went to registry editing to fix this. Inversing the desktop is an accessibility feature. Its actually useful when reading a webpage that has white on black instead of the normal black on white, or with some people vice versa, to reduce eye strain.

On a Mac with Universal Access turned on, you simply press control+option+command+8 (the bottom-left three keys and 8). On Windows, you press alt+shift+printscreen, although on Windows this also changes the font size of everything and it can makes things look out of place.

Try it next time you go to a site with a hard to read web page, you may find it useful.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I find it funny someone immediately went to registry editing to fix this. Inversing the desktop is an accessibility feature.
That 'someone' who jumped the guns would be me! In my defense, It seemed like the OP was not able to change it back using the common 'Personalize' feature and since I didn't have access to a Win7 PC at the time I wasn't able to help with those steps but someone else did afterward and it seemed like it still didn't resolve the issue so, I was suggesting an alternative which would still have the same effect but after a log off or reboot.

Perhaps, next time, you will stop by sooner to save the day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers