U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,122,989 times

Advertisements

If buying an iMac, say, apparently Apple feels you should be satisfied with up to four dead pixels, five before they'll replace it. Three would be the number for screens smaller than 21.5". Don't like it? Then you can get your money back and try your luck elsewhere.

Seemingly Apple has decided not to put Class 1 LCD displays, those tested free of defects, into their computers, feeling that a certain number of dead pixels are okay for their customers. Here is a discussion of the matter on a different tech forum (be sure and specifically refer to page 9):
Apple's Internal Policy on Bad Pixels Revealed - MacRumors Forums

For the record, I love Apple products. Feeling that the premium price generally reflected a premium product. Now, not so sure. In any event, anyone not liking dead pixels might be well advised to look into this . . . before buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,054,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
If buying an iMac, say, apparently Apple feels you should be satisfied with up to four dead pixels, five before they'll replace it. Three would be the number for screens smaller than 21.5". Don't like it? Then you can get your money back and try your luck elsewhere.

Seemingly Apple has decided not to put Class 1 LCD displays, those tested free of defects, into their computers, feeling that a certain number of dead pixels are okay for their customers. Here is a discussion of the matter on a different tech forum (be sure and specifically refer to page 9):
Apple's Internal Policy on Bad Pixels Revealed - MacRumors Forums

For the record, I love Apple products. Feeling that the premium price generally reflected a premium product. Now, not so sure. In any event, anyone not liking dead pixels might be well advised to look into this . . . before buying.
Nice bash on Apple. But you did read the part, where it says that Samsung and LG have similar policies, right? Apple's 27 inch LED display has about 4 million pixels. If one of the panels has just four dead pixels, that means that 99.9999% of the pixels are working perfectly. No company anywhere is going to replace any product that is 99.9999% perfect.

I understand that when you pay a thousand dollars for a display, you want it to be perfect. But the world is an imperfect place, so deal with it.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 AM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Here's a quick tip but if you damage your display don't complain to me. I'll note I haven't had to do this myself as I've been lucky with displays.

You can gently massage the area of the display where the dead pixel is to bring it back to life, this might require repeated "massages". This was posted in a video forum I'm a member of years ago when dead pixels were much more common, there was good results from a lot of people.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:24 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,462,616 times
Fwiw, if you get a screen with dead pixels, return it - you're free to do so. I had a friend buy an iMac and it had one dead pixel - she took it to the Apple Store and they gave her a new one with no fuss when she explained why she was returning it. Her replacement had no dead pixels. I myself have never bought a mac with any dead pixels - I know Apple used to hold its suppliers to higher batch standards than the competition, and I'd assume that hasn't changed.

Policy is one thing, good customer service is another, and Apple at least seems to put a high value on customer satisfaction.

And OP, I really don't understand the purpose of this post.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,950,058 times
OP, I advise you to post back here, with details and info related to what all other manufactures' return policy is, not just Apples'... and also relay back here also actual real documented returns of displays that have 1 - 6 dead pixels, not just some faceless person posting on a forum, claiming that they done this or that. Not defending Apple, but IMHO your post is extremely mistaken, borderline trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers