U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:23 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,626,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
NHDave nailed it in post #7 in this thread: OYI! my desktop!
But...you can save yourself some grief by allowing for a burn-in time. I'll do some test writes and reads, followed by numerous power cycles and then just letting it run for a few days. Such won't guarantee anything, but does improve the odds against data loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
But...you can save yourself some grief by allowing for a burn-in time. I'll do some test writes and reads, followed by numerous power cycles and then just letting it run for a few days. Such won't guarantee anything, but does improve the odds against data loss.
All that does is verify that it's working correctly at the time, it does nothing to prevent the drive from failing when ever it decides to.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:23 PM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
I agree with NHDave 10 minutes to 10 years. I had a 1TB Maxtor fail in a server I set up after less than 2 months.

If it's mechanical expect failure at any time.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
All that does is verify that it's working correctly at the time, it does nothing to prevent the drive from failing when ever it decides to.
It's most likely to fail during the burn-in period or after a long time.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
It really doesnt matter which drive you get. Get one with a longer warranty. That way its just a simple swap if it crashes.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 AM

11,734 posts, read 11,313,240 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I agree with NHDave 10 minutes to 10 years. I had a 1TB Maxtor fail in a server I set up after less than 2 months.

If it's mechanical expect failure at any time.
Quote:
It's most likely to fail during the burn-in period or after a long time.
All your testing proves is that the drive was not DOA. If you buy it on Tuesday and test it on Wednesday, nothing keeps it from failing on Thursday. Then again, it might be running after your babies grow up. The simple truth is that you never know. Mechanical failures are random.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
All your testing proves is that the drive was not DOA. If you buy it on Tuesday and test it on Wednesday, nothing keeps it from failing on Thursday. Then again, it might be running after your babies grow up. The simple truth is that you never know. Mechanical failures are random.
Well I guess technology has changed quite a bit since I've been in school because the reason for the burn-in time was to rule out obvious defects that present themselves early in a device's life.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,059,875 times
Quote:
I just read a disappointing review about a Seagate external HD which failed after just one month of use, and apparently others have had the same difficulty. So then, if Seagate isn't a necessarily reliable HD manufacturer lately, who is?
I like Hitachi, and I like Seagate. I've had quite a a few of them, and never had problems with them. But as others here have said, the brand really doesn't matter. Everybody has their own preferences.

My suggestion, look for a good hard drive, not a brand name. First don't buy the cheapest one you can find. Look for an Enterprise Class Hard Drive, with a good warrantee. They cost more, but seriously isn't your data worth it? Once you find one, in your price range. Google the model number, and read all the reviews you can on it. Take consumer reviews with a grain of sand. You will always find some one who has had a bad experience with any product. But if one model has excessive negative reviews with a lot of people all having the same issues with that drive, you might want to stay away from it. More important read the tech reviews for it. Those will give you a lot of good info on what parts and how the drive is constructed. Thats the way I choose mine, and works for me.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,977,317 times
I have 18 1TB Seagate ES.2 drives in Netgear ReadyNAS units. They suck, and they're enterprise level drives. Four went bad, and they are louder than anything. And the heads click when parking and unparking.

Needless to say, I'm replacing them with 2TB Samsung F4s. I chose the 5400s due to the speed gain from the 666 platter size. They are quieter and run cooler as well. Hopefully I don't run into issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or