U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM

1,422 posts, read 4,719,030 times

Advertisements

I need to update my anti virus protection. Is there a general consensus about which product is best? I am between Norton and McAfee. I am not a techie and don't really want to look at details or understand it all. I just want to be protected.

I would love to steal opinions from those of you who are interested in and have researched the available products. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM

34,328 posts, read 59,678,857 times
Tons of good information here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=25175599

Don't pay for anti-virus protection.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free, and works well.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,350,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I am not a techie and don't really want to look at details or understand it all. I just want to be protected.
Sorry, but with that attitude, you'll infect your computer regardless of which antivirus product you choose. The user is the first and most effective defense against malware. MS Security Essentials is what I use and recommend and its as good as any of them, but relying on it to keep your out of trouble is foolish.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:36 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,080,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I need to update my anti virus protection. Is there a general consensus about which product is best? I am between Norton and McAfee. I am not a techie and don't really want to look at details or understand it all. I just want to be protected.

I would love to steal opinions from those of you who are interested in and have researched the available products. Thank you!
I've been happy with Avast, but I've also heard good things about MSE.
I'd recommend that you get Malwarebyte's Antimalware. You need something besides an Anti-virus program. Just don't use more than one antivirus program at the same time.

Also, CCleaner is very good at getting rid of crap, or unnecessary files. You can also use it to uninstall programs, clean the "empty" space on the hard drive. There's also a tool for cleaning the registry if you aren't squeamish.

Just for insurance, KeyScrambler will keep a trojan or other nasty critter from reading your keystrokes.

Defraggler is often been recommended as a defrag program. I wouldn't suggest you use that more than once a month. Using it often tends to harm the hard drive.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM

1,422 posts, read 4,719,030 times
Mike, thanks for the links. The first one doesn't go anywhere though...were there specific search terms you used?

Brian, thanks for that info!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,499,742 times
avast. don't use norton or mcafee - they're both crap.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,038,800 times
This has never been discussed before. Please don't search the forums because you wont find the answer. You should start a new topic about this.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,918,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I've been happy with Avast, but I've also heard good things about MSE.
I'd recommend that you get Malwarebyte's Antimalware. You need something besides an Anti-virus program. Just don't use more than one antivirus program at the same time.

Also, CCleaner is very good at getting rid of crap, or unnecessary files. You can also use it to uninstall programs, clean the "empty" space on the hard drive. There's also a tool for cleaning the registry if you aren't squeamish.

Just for insurance, KeyScrambler will keep a trojan or other nasty critter from reading your keystrokes.

Defraggler is often been recommended as a defrag program. I wouldn't suggest you use that more than once a month. Using it often tends to harm the hard drive.
Please explain how Defraggler can harm a hard drive. Is it worse than other defrag programs?

If the OP is running Win7 it defrags automatically and it should not be necessary to add a defrag program.

I'll add that I recommend MSE highly. It is running on five computers in my household, quietly and unobtrusively. Removing McAfee from my son's new Dell laptop eliminated a frequent lockup. MSE is now running on it and the system is perfectly stable.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:01 PM

11,761 posts, read 11,319,786 times
These threads were in the first four pages of the forum. Go read them and come back if you still have questions.

Can I prevent spyware?what is Firewalls?How can Hackers gain Access to my computer?
Avg download
New DHL Virus - do not open
Best malware for my pc and anti-virus
What anti-virus do you use?
Researching antivirus for my pc
Anti-virus help
what to do when you have a trojan virus

Old 11-10-2010, 01:23 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,080,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Please explain how Defraggler can harm a hard drive. Is it worse than other defrag programs?

If the OP is running Win7 it defrags automatically and it should not be necessary to add a defrag program.

I'll add that I recommend MSE highly. It is running on five computers in my household, quietly and unobtrusively. Removing McAfee from my son's new Dell laptop eliminated a frequent lockup. MSE is now running on it and the system is perfectly stable.
I didn't really mean to specify Defraggler, just that if any defragger when run daily can be hard on the HD. This has been the prevailing thinking at CNET for a long time, hence my thoughts on that.

I wasn't aware that Win7 automatically defrags. If it does, I'm assuming it's smart enough to defrag when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers