Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 PM

294 posts, read 351,338 times

Advertisements

I've recently encountered an issue with our laptop freezing up when we touch any of the keys on the keyboard. I can hook up an external keyboard and it works fine, but the internal keyboard locks up the mouse and will not type. How do I troubleshoot something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:56 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Has the laptop ever had anything spilled on it? About the only way to troubleshoot is to replace the keyboard and see what happens, but you could try uninstalling it in device manager and rebooting.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 PM

No one is owning up to any spillage. If I uninstall the laptops keyboard, how do I re-install it after booting up? I've done a check of the keyboards properties and it says it's functioning properly.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:57 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
As with all troubleshooting, start at the physical layer and work your way up. Honestly, what it sounds like to me is either a problem with the ribbon that connects your keyboard to the motherboard, or else a bad port on the motherboard itself. The reason why the computer works fine when you plug in a secondary input device is because you're utilizing the device through a different port (likely one of your USB ports).

It is unlikely that the actual keyboard is the culprit. Furthermore, if it was an issue of spillage, it is logical to assume you would have many tertiary problems with the laptop beyond just input problems. The liquid would have seeped onto the motherboard and worked over some of the other copper points on the board itself.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikensquire View Post
No one is owning up to any spillage. If I uninstall the laptops keyboard, how do I re-install it after booting up? I've done a check of the keyboards properties and it says it's functioning properly.
It will reinstall itself, Windows has no ability to tell if the hardware is functioning properly, all it knows is if drivers are installed/functioning correctly

Old 11-19-2010, 05:40 PM

8,312 posts, read 13,444,568 times
It might be what NHDave suggested or what Xanax suggested, both logical possibilities. If it is indeed a dirty, sticky keyboard then properly removing it from the laptop housing and letting it stay submerged overnight in a bucket filled with mild liquid soap/dish washer detergent and lukewarm water is what I would try.
Of course afterward, you would have to rinse it and then let it completely dry.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 11-19-2010 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM

I believe it must have been the result of some sort of spill, it's working again, with no issues. If only all the other things that break in my life would mysteriously return to their working state given time.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 14,027 times
Hi,

I am having the same issue. My kids spilled some tide detergent powder (can you believe it!) on the laptop keyboard. I cleaned up as much as possible after that. Now, the laptop works for a few minutes and randomly freezes. Both the keys and the mouse pad stops working. I have to reboot and it works fine for a few minutes and its back to freezing again.

What do I do? Pls help.

Thanks,

Old 03-01-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeni_dd View Post
Hi,

I am having the same issue. My kids spilled some tide detergent powder (can you believe it!) on the laptop keyboard. I cleaned up as much as possible after that. Now, the laptop works for a few minutes and randomly freezes. Both the keys and the mouse pad stops working. I have to reboot and it works fine for a few minutes and its back to freezing again.

What do I do? Pls help.

Thanks,
How old is the laptop?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 14,027 times
Little less than 2 yrs old. I have the Acer Aspire 6920
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers