U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 PM

99 posts, read 348,474 times

Advertisements

I know this has been asked before but that thread is quite old and I know new models have come out..

I currently have a Canon MX870. I love the printer but hate the fact that it just eats up the ink big time.

I do a lot of scanning and faxing as well as printing in my home office. I go thorough periods such as yesterday where I printed over 700 pages in one day. Of course today I may have printed only about 20 so that gives some idea of what I'm doing.

One thing I love about the Canon is the software they have. It is an absolute must to have a confirmation report printed after sending a fax. The scanning software is great too.

I purchased an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 but took it back after a few days. I absolutly hated the software. Since I do a lot of faxing and scanning I do need software that lets me do what I want and save to where I want. Should also be noted that I do not have a huge amount of space - hence the need for an all in one.

So with that being said are there any recommendations out there? I can go either inkjet or laser and while I do print photos once in a while that is not a huge issue with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,666,385 times
If you don't mind a refurb, check out the refurbished Brother MFC-8680DN at Staples. Right now, it's $220 after rebate, which is a very low price for a machine that doesn't cost an arm and a leg in ongoing consumable costs. 30 ppm printing, double sided scanning/printing/copying, network interface, legal size flatbed, toner is decently priced even for OEM cartridges (at Amazon), and as we have a Brother MFC at work for fax duty, I can vouch that they do print out confirmation sheets. We don't bother with any of the included software beyond the drivers on the computers; most of the scanning is done straight to PDF, so. And since it's not inkjet, there are no worries of the ink drying out because you haven't printed anything in a month.

Brother Refurbished MFC-8680DN Laser Flatbed All-in-One | StaplesĀ®

Amazon.com: Brother TN-650 Toner Cartridge: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

For printing photos, I find it's way cheaper to send it out by the batch or at a local store versus DIY ink/paper costs.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Hmmm...had not considered a refurbished one. Will check into that. Thanks for the info.

Any other suggestions?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:53 PM

3,083 posts, read 3,485,824 times
I've been using a Brother MFC-8480 for about a year now. No complaints whatsoever. It's been a very solid printer.

Newegg.com - brother MFC Series MFC-8480dn MFC / All-In-One Up to 32 ppm Monochrome Laser Printer

Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM

28,631 posts, read 40,613,958 times
I'm not remembering the model, but I set up a Brother all-in-one laser for a client almost a year ago and they have been very happy with it. It is network ready so she can use GoToMyPC and print from it as she travels, which she does a lot.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 AM

4,791 posts, read 13,330,670 times
I think your Canon MX870 is fine. I have the MX850. Just use cheaper generic inks refills from ebay to cut down on ink costs.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,977,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing60 View Post
I know this has been asked before but that thread is quite old and I know new models have come out..

I currently have a Canon MX870. I love the printer but hate the fact that it just eats up the ink big time.

I do a lot of scanning and faxing as well as printing in my home office. I go thorough periods such as yesterday where I printed over 700 pages in one day. Of course today I may have printed only about 20 so that gives some idea of what I'm doing.

One thing I love about the Canon is the software they have. It is an absolute must to have a confirmation report printed after sending a fax. The scanning software is great too.

I purchased an HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 but took it back after a few days. I absolutly hated the software. Since I do a lot of faxing and scanning I do need software that lets me do what I want and save to where I want. Should also be noted that I do not have a huge amount of space - hence the need for an all in one.

So with that being said are there any recommendations out there? I can go either inkjet or laser and while I do print photos once in a while that is not a huge issue with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think your Canon MX870 is fine. I have the MX850. Just use cheaper generic inks refills from ebay to cut down on ink costs.
Yes, I agree. Your problem isn't the printer it's the cost of the Canon ink that's got you looking. Solve the ink problem with non-canon ink and move on.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:44 PM

actually it is not so much the cost as the cartridges are relatively inexpensive. But it is the frequency that I have to install new cartridges. Personally I have had terrible luck with the generic or off brand cartridges in that very often they do not work in this printer. And there is no place locally that does the refilling.

Even customer service at Canon agree that they are running out too fast on me but offer little help in figureing out what to do about it.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:09 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,376,274 times
I have an Epson WorkForce 600 that has a card reader and is Wi-Fi capable on my wireless home network. I solved the ink issue by buying the largest cartridge made. I have to drive 50 miles for ink, so I try to make it worth the trip. I had a Canon on my first Mac, but I like the Epson even better.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:33 PM

964 posts, read 2,376,705 times
Use your boss's (company's) printers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or