U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2010, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Pomona
1,955 posts, read 9,668,491 times
Reputation: 1538

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I haven't tried them, but they have been getting great reviews.
Actually, they haven't. Check up on Amazon ...

ESP 3250 - 2 1/2 stars
ESP 5250 - 3 stars
ESP 7 - 2 stars
ESP 9 - 3 stars

Earlier models ...
ESP 5 - 2 stars
ESP 3 - 1 1/2 stars

In other words, their track record hasn't been all that good. I mean, what's the point of cheap ink cartridges if the printer doesn't work? Until they're more proven, I say buyer beware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,985,717 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Because 99% of the time, people buy cheap consumer grade inkjet crap that costs a fortune in ink, is slow, then dies. If you really ask people how often they really NEED color, its not that often. The biggest reason people buy inkjets is because they're $49 at Best Buy, not because they're good. For those needing color at all, most of the time its to print pictures. Costco will print decent looking 4x6's for $0.15/ea and online labs will do an even better job for not much more.

Its not worth my time to screw with a slow, fussy, clog-prone printer that was put on this Earth to sell as much ink as possible. I have a monochrome laser and keep telling myself that if I ever need a document printed in color, I can always take it to my dad's house (he has a color laser). I haven't actually done that in the 5 years since I ditched my inkjet.

I have both, a color laser (hp 3600dn) and an hp photo printer. Neither are really problematic. The inkjet has NEVER clogged.

According to the diagnostics menu on the inkjet, I've printed 4,712 pages this year so far and experienced 17 paper jams (All of which are because of the duplexer, if I remember correctly).

With the laser I've printed 26,921 pages this year and have experienced 61 paper jams.

I wouldn't say either is more problematic for me than the other.

The fact that people make poor inkjet printer purchases does not help the argument that laser is better than inkjet or vice versa. It all depends on need. I can't run to walgreens 30 times/day everytime I need to print a photo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 AM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,985,717 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Actually, they haven't. Check up on Amazon ...

ESP 3250 - 2 1/2 stars
ESP 5250 - 3 stars
ESP 7 - 2 stars
ESP 9 - 3 stars

Earlier models ...
ESP 5 - 2 stars
ESP 3 - 1 1/2 stars

In other words, their track record hasn't been all that good. I mean, what's the point of cheap ink cartridges if the printer doesn't work? Until they're more proven, I say buyer beware.

Hmm, that does look bad. I was going by consumer reports... but customer reviews are equally important. Oh well, I like HP and Canon anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 AM
 
Location: On the plateau, TN
15,208 posts, read 10,723,520 times
Reputation: 9987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I had an iP5000, now I have an MX850 and MP990 Canon Printer. I have used the generic ebay ink cartridges with my printers and they all worked. I'd rather have a Canon printer than an Epson or HP one.
I have a IP 5000 and was a great printer.....Then it died and I got the MX860 and love it also..... Have not tried a generic cartrige yet....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 06:39 PM
 
422 posts, read 652,723 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Because 99% of the time, people buy cheap consumer grade inkjet crap that costs a fortune in ink, is slow, then dies. If you really ask people how often they really NEED color, its not that often. The biggest reason people buy inkjets is because they're $49 at Best Buy, not because they're good. For those needing color at all, most of the time its to print pictures. Costco will print decent looking 4x6's for $0.15/ea and online labs will do an even better job for not much more.

Its not worth my time to screw with a slow, fussy, clog-prone printer that was put on this Earth to sell as much ink as possible. I have a monochrome laser and keep telling myself that if I ever need a document printed in color, I can always take it to my dad's house (he has a color laser). I haven't actually done that in the 5 years since I ditched my inkjet.
In most cases, the printer costs little more than the ink itself.

The printer costs $25, the ink costs $29.
Newegg.com - LEXMARK X series 23D0985 Up to 22 ppm 4800 x 1200 dpi InkJet Photo Print Color Printer
Amazon.com: Lexmark #20 Color Ink Cartridge (15M0120): Electronics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago
4,791 posts, read 13,332,510 times
Reputation: 1945
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How do you like the MP990? I had actually purchased it but ended up returning it after reading in every single review that it sucks up ink.
I guess it sucks up ink. I printed a few full page photos and now the ink tanks are half full. I hardly print photos as I mostly view them organized in my computer.

So I guess I have to resort to ebay inks for my MP990.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 02:13 PM
 
Location: On the plateau, TN
15,208 posts, read 10,723,520 times
Reputation: 9987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I guess it sucks up ink. I printed a few full page photos and now the ink tanks are half full. I hardly print photos as I mostly view them organized in my computer.

So I guess I have to resort to ebay inks for my MP990.
I have used this place for years.....I think these are your cartriges....

Canon CLI-221 (CLI221, PGI-220 BK, CLI-221 BK, CLI-221 C, CLI-221 M, CLI-221 Y) Compatible Inkjet Cartridge Combo with New Chip: One Each of PGI220 Black, CLI221 Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow - Meritline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,985,717 times
Reputation: 12852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I guess it sucks up ink. I printed a few full page photos and now the ink tanks are half full. I hardly print photos as I mostly view them organized in my computer.

So I guess I have to resort to ebay inks for my MP990.
That's a shame... I really wanted it for it's ability to scan film. My current HP All-in-one printer works great, but just doesn't scan film. Oh well... will wait a little while longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,874 posts, read 13,819,503 times
Reputation: 29048
[quote=EscapeCalifornia;16635370The biggest reason people buy inkjets is because they're $49 at Best Buy, not because they're good. For those needing color at all, most of the time its to print pictures. Costco will print decent looking 4x6's for $0.15/ea and online labs will do an even better job for not much more. [/quote]

Not true in my case. I had a corporate job for which I had to write complicated reports for groups of executives. I had a pricey laser printer at my disposal. But most of the time I used an inexpensive ink jet that I brought from home. Why? Because the execs I was working for understood the reports MUCH better if key sentences in them were highlighted in color, and subheads were in color, and occasionally there was a photo breaking up the vast sea of text. I didn't have time to take these reports to any outside copy shop -- and I didn't have the patience to deal with the people who work in such places (especially the one that thinks it's my office-away-from-home). It's a simple fact that readers -- especially men for some reason (it's science, look it up) and business executives of either sex (who most of the time have their heads you-know-where) -- can comprehend a page of text better if the information has color highlights. Sad but true.

I also have to print many different sizes of labels, name tags, and other things that do better in an ink jet (and look more attractive in colors). Time is always an issue. So, sorry, no laser for me even though I concede that they are more cost-effective in the long run and work better if your world is black and white. Mine isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2010, 12:30 AM
 
11,715 posts, read 36,350,995 times
Reputation: 7514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Not true in my case. I had a corporate job for which I had to write complicated reports for groups of executives. I had a pricey laser printer at my disposal. But most of the time I used an inexpensive ink jet that I brought from home. Why? Because the execs I was working for understood the reports MUCH better if key sentences in them were highlighted in color, and subheads were in color, and occasionally there was a photo breaking up the vast sea of text. I didn't have time to take these reports to any outside copy shop -- and I didn't have the patience to deal with the people who work in such places (especially the one that thinks it's my office-away-from-home). It's a simple fact that readers -- especially men for some reason (it's science, look it up) and business executives of either sex (who most of the time have their heads you-know-where) -- can comprehend a page of text better if the information has color highlights. Sad but true.

I also have to print many different sizes of labels, name tags, and other things that do better in an ink jet (and look more attractive in colors). Time is always an issue. So, sorry, no laser for me even though I concede that they are more cost-effective in the long run and work better if your world is black and white. Mine isn't.
Then get a color laser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:44 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top