U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:32 AM

16,726 posts, read 29,330,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Because 99% of the time, people buy cheap consumer grade inkjet crap that costs a fortune in ink, is slow, then dies. If you really ask people how often they really NEED color, its not that often. The biggest reason people buy inkjets is because they're $49 at Best Buy, not because they're good. For those needing color at all, most of the time its to print pictures. Costco will print decent looking 4x6's for $0.15/ea and online labs will do an even better job for not much more.

Its not worth my time to screw with a slow, fussy, clog-prone printer that was put on this Earth to sell as much ink as possible. I have a monochrome laser and keep telling myself that if I ever need a document printed in color, I can always take it to my dad's house (he has a color laser). I haven't actually done that in the 5 years since I ditched my inkjet.
I have both. I use the laser printer to print documents, letters, etc., and the inkjet printer to print some of my photos (up to 17' x 24"). This inkjet printer is not a tabloid printer just a Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II. It's quite large and heavy (weights around 30 pounds and is approximately 26" across the front). The inks are expensive, and it takes 8 cartridges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,979,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Then get a color laser.
Color Laser printers don't make great desktop printers. You have to have the space for it (remember, there's 4 large toners in there). Also, if you're switching media a lot, laser printer trays are annoying... especially of using multiple-sized paper.

There are plenty of times that I choose my inkjet overmy color laser/

Old 11-16-2010, 06:29 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,667,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Color Laser printers don't make great desktop printers. You have to have the space for it (remember, there's 4 large toners in there). ...
Well, there are ones that aren't that big, but with the small cartridges they come with, there's only one advantage here - toner doesn't dry out. Otherwise, the cost per page on the cheap color lasers makes almost any ink jet look downright cheap to operate.

There's pros and cons to ink jets and lasers. Neither one is a universal answer to everyone's needs.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:49 PM

102 posts, read 372,176 times
I just wish I'd bought a black printer and print color at businesses when I need to (which is almost never). Thanks for all the great comments.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:34 AM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Quote:
To me, it isn't really a "print head" issue like I was told. It's a "proprietary" issue. Canon manufactures their product in a proprietary manner so that generic refill brands cannot be utilized. Refill stores aren't necessarily going to tell you up front. And they obviously don't do returns either.

The problem with refill stores is that they don't have the technology to reset/replace the micro chip in the ink cartride to "0". The refill stores just drill anf fill. Some of the better stores will order empty zeroed cartridges,but most don't. You're best chance of getting generic toner cartridges is to go to ebay.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
I purchased a all-in-one Canon MX512 printer about 3 months ago, so far I've changed my ink cartridges twice. Do you all recommend using the ink refills? Sounds like a lot of messy work, I get my cartridges from either Staples or online @inkcartridges.com. I won't purchase the refill kits because they look messy, but they're cheaper. My 240 & 241XL cartridges run me about $21. ea for the black and $30. each for the color on line and $50.00 for the set of black & color ink @ Staples. Any suggestions on cheaper cartridges, or would you recommend ink refills?
Thanks, Sharon, not sure.................

Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Anyone want to buy a few used color inkjets? They'll be sitting on a table when we have our moving sale. Oh, and a Samsung Color laser CLP-500 duplex.

We've settled on two lasers. An HP 1200 and a Brother MFC-9320CW multifunction. We found that we had no need for inkjets anymore.

The HP sits on the corner of a desk in the family room where we spend most of our time with laptops and it automatically prints receipts, etc from online purchases. It's also the default printer for both laptops.

The Brother is in the office upstairs and is the default for the desktop and the server.

We might keep the one inkjet that does printable CD's, though.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Anyone want to buy a few used color inkjets? They'll be sitting on a table when we have our moving sale. Oh, and a Samsung Color laser CLP-500 duplex.

We've settled on two lasers. An HP 1200 and a Brother MFC-9320CW multifunction. We found that we had no need for inkjets anymore.

The HP sits on the corner of a desk in the family room where we spend most of our time with laptops and it automatically prints receipts, etc from online purchases. It's also the default printer for both laptops.

The Brother is in the office upstairs and is the default for the desktop and the server.

We might keep the one inkjet that does printable CD's, though.
This is an odd post for you, trying to pawn off printers on a 3 year old thread revived by a newb

Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
I figure it's as pertinent as the previous post. Might as well have some fun!

Old 06-19-2013, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
The ink cartridges have made the centre smaller so they will fill less inland runout quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers